Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Most of my expensive purchases are from within the EU. Will they be cheaper?
    That depends on whether or not we decide to place tariffs on EU goods. I can't think of many expensive EU purchases with the exception of German cars, though. Samsung equipment is Korean, iPhone is made in China, Intel is made in Israel, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    That depends on whether or not we decide to place tariffs on EU goods. I can't think of many expensive EU purchases with the exception of German cars, though. Samsung equipment is Korean, iPhone is made in China, Intel is made in Israel, etc etc.
    Most of my musical equipment is from Europe, and this is what I spend most of my money on, apart from restaurants, travel, etc. Some comes from USA, will that become cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    Most of my musical equipment is from Europe, and this is what I spend most of my money on, apart from restaurants, travel, etc. Some comes from USA, will that become cheaper?
    The USA stuff will indeed become cheaper - which is good, because it makes up a huge proportion of our imports.

Restaurants and travel won't be affected by tariffs - if you've travelled inside the EU, then you're not being tariffed on anything EU, only the rest of the world's goods (might have worded that badly ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    you'll be sending a message either way. if you stay, you'll be saying "yes, we consent to this undemocratic organisation and you can do what you want with us now that we're voting in favour of it". and "real reform" in the EU will never happen. the UK might be somewhat undemocratic, but being a member of the EU makes us even more undemocratic.
    I'm perfectly happy with the current democratic system in place in the EU though...

ReputationRep:
    I'm perfectly happy with the current democratic system in place in the EU though...
    You shouldn't be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    The USA stuff will indeed become cheaper - which is good, because it makes up a huge proportion of our imports.

Restaurants and travel won't be affected by tariffs - if you've travelled inside the EU, then you're not being tariffed on anything EU, only the rest of the world's goods (might have worded that badly ).
    How much more expensive might EU goods become for me? Because of course it's a case of balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    You shouldn't be
    But even if I was unhappy with it, I would end up with even less say on what happens in the EU if we leave. So my democratic power would be reduced.

ReputationRep:
    How much more expensive might EU goods become for me? Because of course it's a case of balance.
    Erm, unsure, depends on what our government negotiates, but looks like around 2% tariff for instruments (going off wood products)

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/p...ech.pdf#page=5

"If the UK and the EU can't agree on a specific trade agreement, then trade would take place under World Trade Organisation rules.The EU would not be allowed to discriminate against the UK specifically, and we would face the same tariffs that any country without a free trade agreement with the EU would."

From fullfact

ReputationRep:
    what democratic system? something tells me you don't quite know what you're talking about - the EU parliament is elected but they can't remove laws. how are they in control, in this sense? and they can't bring in legislation. they can only vote on what the EU commission brings to the agenda. and even at that, the EU commission doesn't need the EU parliament - it can simply make directives, not regulations (via the parliament on the latter)

True that the current economy of the UK within EU is a bit crap, and you can predict what it will be in the future.

But leaving the EU?

We don't even know what will happen

Uncharted territory

ReputationRep:
    Immigration go down.
    Extra money for public services or tax cuts, would blunt the axe of austerity

ReputationRep:
    what democratic system? something tells me you don't quite know what you're talking about - the EU parliament is elected but they can't remove laws. how are they in control, in this sense? and they can't bring in legislation. they can only vote on what the EU commission brings to the agenda. and even at that, the EU commission doesn't need the EU parliament - it can simply make directives, not regulations (via the parliament on the latter)
    But the EU Commission President and the selected remainder of the EU Commission are voted for by the EU Parliament.

You may not like that system of democracy, but I'm fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordMallard)
    Immigration go down.
    Extra money for public services or tax cuts, would blunt the axe of austerity
    What tax cuts or spending increase to public services has been proposed by the relevant players in the Leave campaign?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Erm, unsure, depends on what our government negotiates, but looks like around 2% tariff for instruments (going off wood products)

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/p...ech.pdf#page=5

"If the UK and the EU can't agree on a specific trade agreement, then trade would take place under World Trade Organisation rules.The EU would not be allowed to discriminate against the UK specifically, and we would face the same tariffs that any country without a free trade agreement with the EU would."

From fullfact
    Thanks for the information. I don't feel I'm finding anything just now in terms of cost of goods significant enough to influence my vote, but I appreciate the explanation

ReputationRep:
    My reasons for wanting to leave

Immigration first and foremost, being inside the european union 500 million people have access to live in your country, If any remainians are reading this i have not said 500 million people will come to the UK- Immigration is spiraling out of control and it is putting huge pressure on schools , hospitals and housing.

Over this weekend I gathered we are actually in trade deficit with the EU, we import more than what we export to the EU- you can argue some of what we import are raw materials used in the secondary sector which are sold outside the EU. But if we keep importing more than what we export we are not really getting a good deal out of being in the EU.

With us buying so much from the EU I really can not see them slapping tarrifs on us, then we can turn our attentions elsewhere and let the EU collapse. Germany are the country which are doing best out of the EU, this is because they are self sufficient and still have a decent manufacturing sector- it would be disastorous for them to cut of ties with England, they sell a lot of their BMW'S and VW'S here so jobs in Germany will be lost as a result (Not that i care). Also did you know that Switzerland are in a trade surplus (profit) of $150 billion(USD) to our defecit ( loss) of £-3.2bn. It appears to me from researching Switzerland and Norway they do better than many EU countries and they are outside the EU

They are pushing to many restrictions through- the green tax which makes it almost impossible for British steel firms to compete with there Chinese counterparts, not to mention competition restrictions make it hard for the UK to pump money into sectors as a convertible bond into shares- unless a bank has ****ed up.

My final comment is not a reason its just my judgement, I think i am correct in saying when we leave a few northern european countries will leave aswell, the majority of Italian people want to leave the EU, the majority of the French people want a referendum aswell. Now in my opinion when a few of the Northern countries leave the EU it will leave Germany and a few other northern countries to support the rich poor divide of the EU, with northern european countries being richer than the southern countries. A lot of countries can not pay there membership fees, this impacts us as the UK as we have to pay more to top up the EU's budgets- which influences my decision to vote out the less we pay towards the EU the quicker it will collapse then we will be in the box seat to negotiate a better deal for ourselves without free movement of people. Just hope people do not crumble at last minute and remain

ReputationRep:
    But the EU Commission President and the selected remainder of the EU Commission are voted for by the EU Parliament.

You may not like that system of democracy, but I'm fine with it.
    the commission president isn't like a prime minister - he has no special powers like in our system. he's simply the head of the commission, and each commissioner is unelected. the EU parliament's affirmation of a president isn't important seeing as *every* potential president is cut from that same undemocratic cloth and they all think essentially the same things as bureaucrats. it's not like we're voting for MEPs to vote for a particular EU commission president either - I am going to take a shot in the dark and assume that your vote in the 2014 EU parliamentary election wasn't on the basis of the future president whom wasn't even discussed in the EU parliament election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    UK currently has to pay the EU 35 million+ pounds of its money every year/month, and the UK cannot say no. If we leave, this stops.
    If we leave, we will have less tax charges from the government. There are many more reasons.

Love how that lefty ginger hipster got destroyed by that guy. Also notice in the audience how the majority of the leave side are older people compared to the Remain side which is full of deluded hipster types lol

ReputationRep:
    What tax cuts or spending increase to public services has been proposed by the relevant players in the Leave campaign?
    They have promised increase in spending for the NHS. Referring to tax cuts there has been the suggestion of reducing VAT on energy. Also if we leave there will be extra money available and the government of the day may decide to use that to cut taxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordMallard)
    They have promised increase in spending for the NHS. Referring to tax cuts there has been the suggestion of reducing VAT on energy. Also if we leave there will be extra money available and the government of the day may decide to use that to cut taxes.
    Thats usually what a tory government does, of course for richer people

ReputationRep:
    the commission president isn't like a prime minister - he has no special powers like in our system. he's simply the head of the commission, and each commissioner is unelected. the EU parliament's affirmation of a president isn't important seeing as *every* potential president is cut from that same undemocratic cloth and they all think essentially the same things as bureaucrats. it's not like we're voting for MEPs to vote for a particular EU commission president either - I am going to take a shot in the dark and assume that your vote in the 2014 EU parliamentary election wasn't on the basis of the future president whom wasn't even discussed in the EU parliament election.
    The EU Parliament votes to accept or refuse the assembled Commission members though, right? And the EU Commission President is also elected.

I vote for an MEP on the basis that I trust them to undertake all their duties responsibly, including voting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.