Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anybody else just not know what they want to do with their lives career wise? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my degree in maths and I'm literally applying for anything that will accept my degree. There's 60 year olds out there that don't know what they want to do so just go with the flow. If something seems interesting, go for it, it you hate something, try something else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Yeah, I just turned 20 in April oh trust me, I feel like I can barely speak them lol hoping to improve though, did you say you were going back to Uni? What for?
    Haha, I'm sure you'll improve by the end of your degree! Yeah, I'm going to be studying English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I have been learning to drive (I've got my test next month!). I was hoping to get some voluntary or part time work too, but it just didn't end up happening
    Oh well, at least you'll have gained a skill in your gap year, the ability to drive! Good luck with your test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so96k)
    Oh well, at least you'll have gained a skill in your gap year, the ability to drive! Good luck with your test
    Thank you!! I hope everything works out for you also! :hugs:

Yes ive finally figured it out, but im 30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so96k)
    Haha, I'm sure you'll improve by the end of your degree! Yeah, I'm going to be studying English.
    We'll see :lol: sounds good! Good luck with it! what were you studying before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    The thing with most degrees is that they don't lead to a specific career- they open up the doors to many but to walk in through the open door you have to add your own extras- work experience, soft skills e.c.t If you are proactive from the start of your degree you have a greater chance of knowing by the end what you want to do. I would start by visiting your uni careers centre- at mine they had a4 sheets for each degree with suggestions for careers that each degree could lead to. If you wanted further help you could book a one to one session with a careers advisor and also attend workshops on how to write applications or talks on how to break into certain fields. Next step would be to arrange work experience placements- uni holidays especially during summer are quite long and leave ample time to do work placements- it should a) be excellent for your CV and b) help you know if you want to do that career or not.
    You just brighten my eyes for a second! cause right now im thinking of declining my uni offer to go to college and do something else. Is this what you did earlier on before going to uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Thank you!! I hope everything works out for you also! :hugs:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chazeyourself)
    You just brighten my eyes for a second! cause right now im thinking of declining my uni offer to go to college and do something else. Is this what you did earlier on before going to uni?
    what would you do at college? and i researched careers online in my gap year and worked out pretty quickly what career path I wanted to go down.

ReputationRep:
    I've always kinda felt like this and I'm 24 now. I've stumbled into studying admin and IT, and since it's a vocational course, I will probably just go for a job/career related to that. I've gotten to the point where I feel like I likely won't find something I'm super passionate about, so I now just see work as something to earn a living and fund my lifestyle. Who knows, maybe I will eventually find a line of work I love, but for now I get my passions out of spending time with loved ones and enjoying my hobbies . There are middle-aged people who still don't know what career they want, and plenty of people also change careers, so I wouldn't make too much of a big deal out of it. As mentioned, just go with the flow (but still work as hard as you can, of course!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    what would you do at college? and i researched careers online in my gap year and worked out pretty quickly what career path I wanted to go down.
    If i get a decent grade in biology this year, I will probably take 1 science subject, and something totally different like Business studies or sociology as well
    I 've tried taking online career quizzes but im not really convinced by them, I'll try find an advisor as you said before go for uni work experiences

Similar situation, although not at uni.

I have always been indecisive and still am.

I don't understand how some people from the age of 12 already know they want to be a doctor, lawyer, surgeon, engineer and carry those aspirations from secondary school till the end of sixthfrom without being indecisive.

I wish i was decisive like that.

ReputationRep:
    I decided to go into Computer Science when I was a kid, and I'm still following that path. One of the great things about Computer Science is that computer scientists are actually needed in almost every other field. So if, for example, I suddenly take a fancy to doing a bit of Architecture later in life(I doubt it, but it's possible), I could just work on a program related to architecture, and in doing so, I would have to become involved in the field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Similar situation, although not at uni.

I have always been indecisive and still am.

I don't understand how some people from the age of 12 already know they want to be a doctor, lawyer, surgeon, engineer and carry those aspirations from secondary school till the end of sixthfrom without being indecisive.

I wish i was decisive like that.
    I know right, although I think some people do know from a young age, I think some people aspire for those jobs simply for the high earnings. I evy the people who are completely set on what they want to do though, it must feel nice having something to work towards. What are you doing then?

ReputationRep:
    We'll see :lol: sounds good! Good luck with it! what were you studying before?
    Thank you! I was studying History before

ReputationRep:
    I used to be unsure like you but personal events have made me decide on clinical oncology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I've always kinda felt like this and I'm 24 now. I've stumbled into studying admin and IT, and since it's a vocational course, I will probably just go for a job/career related to that. I've gotten to the point where I feel like I likely won't find something I'm super passionate about, so I now just see work as something to earn a living and fund my lifestyle. Who knows, maybe I will eventually find a line of work I love, but for now I get my passions out of spending time with loved ones and enjoying my hobbies . There are middle-aged people who still don't know what career they want, and plenty of people also change careers, so I wouldn't make too much of a big deal out of it. As mentioned, just go with the flow (but still work as hard as you can, of course!).
    Thanks for your reply! I guess I'll just have to try things and hope I find something I like along the way, hopefully you do too!

(Original post by so96k)
    I know right, although I think some people do know from a young age, I think some people aspire for those jobs simply for the high earnings. I evy the people who are completely set on what they want to do though, it must feel nice having something to work towards. What are you doing then?
    I am at college.

Hopefully, one day, my dream of being a pediatric nurse will be fulfilled.

And, i also hope i won't be indecisive about this ever again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so96k)
    Thank you! I was studying History before
    What did you not like about it?

ReputationRep:
    What did you not like about it?
    Sorry, I just saw this! I wasn't engaged in the content and it just bored me to the point where I wasn't doing any of the required reading etc so I just felt like I was wasting my money. 😊

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.