Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't stand my dad anymore. Watch

ReputationRep:
    You could move out. Or you could simply do some other things to help you relax, take your mind off the stress of near constant annoyance.

Things get heated around my house as well. Parents keep telling me how to organise my life. How to put my things. Its annoying. And I tell them to back off (politely), which sometimes they do. Other times, they don't. I'm stuck at home most days due to expenses. Unemployed. To make things worse, I have no friends here. Its like a ghost town. So I try to keep myself busy.

Do yoga or boxing. Yoga can help you relax. Loosen tension in your joints and etc. Or boxing or anything physical which'll help you vent. Or listen to really loud heavy ass punk music.

On the other hand, you can develop a new skill. Instrument, etc or write poems or stories expressing your anger and frustration in a creative way.

I think everybody goes through stages with their parents, it's a natural part of proven psychology that teenagers go through phases in which they dislike their parents. The reason being is that it's your own mind's attempt to move away from your parents and become an individual however your dad shouldn't be lashing out like that and I definitely think you should speak to someone because I have to admit I would've reacted in the same way, especially as you hadn't taken it. However, you must speak to your dad about his temper and for placing blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think everybody goes through stages with their parents, it's a natural part of proven psychology that teenagers go through phases in which they dislike their parents. The reason being is that it's your own mind's attempt to move away from your parents and become an individual however your dad shouldn't be lashing out like that and I definitely think you should speak to someone because I have to admit I would've reacted in the same way, especially as you hadn't taken it. However, you must speak to your dad about his temper and for placing blame.
    she's 21, not a teen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does he drink?

The hitting part reminds me a lot of my dad.

He used to have these huge fits of rage for the smallest of things. On one occasion, something my dad and even mum denies completely, he kicked me several times in the stomach and punched my brother for something my sister did and blamed on us.

He's had heath issues and has had to stop drinking, but he's still aggressive with me in particular and just seems detached.

My family is terrible... I can't begin to describe how dreadful it is to be here, a place I'm supposed to call home.

This is why I stay in my room as much as I can.

I do try to go out as much as I can, but there's only so much I can do. I've lost so much confidence in the last month.
    my dad doesn't drink
    my family is terrible I get sent to my room and some times I stay there all day and I hate going home
    yesterday me and my brother were going to run away because he thought we were lying to him I feel sorry for u and see if I do run away I don't know were to go cause my mum will tell him I went to hers .
    I honestly don't know what to do

Mate, we are both in similar situations. Get out if you can, but whatever you do don't abandon your family to him.

ReputationRep:
    I know what it's like when they cannot accept their children even when they are well behaved. People don't change. Could you buy a door wedge and stick it behind the door to stop them coming in as they are refusing the lock? Might be best to try and do free things and stay out of the house until you can afford your own place. Speak to your siblings and ask if they can be more considerate with this laptop and tell them being disturbed isn't helping with your studying.

21 move out , im 18 and i have a few issues with my mum she is a bit unstable atm , hits me some times , choked me once and tried to threaten me with a knife a few times. But im off to uni in a few months so a bit of an escape may help you too

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.