Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Roccothesilent)
    I agree it's tradition. I don't think with choice women's rights are being infringed, but will society perhaps adapt to a position where men take their wife's surname? Not something so common
    What does it matter? If you read the link there are senisble answers on why its tradition.

You cna call yourself whatever you like. The whole OP is pretry pointless.
    Why would anyone care whose name is taken?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milzime)
    honestly for practicality (of a family name)

these days lot's of women are keeping their surnames, or forming double-barrels, or even hybrids of both surnames.
    I know a married heterosexual couple who both took on the woman's given surname, merely because they preferred it.

*shrug* it's just tradition, and no longer gives anyone more power or whatever, and it's a a choice so so

silly question tbh ?
    Thank you for that enlightening reply, you are right, these days a lot of women are keeping their surnames. However the MAJORITY as stated in the original question are taking their husband's names, we are saying whether this is contradictory.

There is no right or wrong, but it's nice to read differing opinions on the matter.

If you think it is a silly question then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    I mean there are sensible reasons for both people having the same surname - such as what to name the kids (if they have them). Incidentally I have noticed that my friends with hybrid/double barreled surnames tend to be those who don't plan to have children, but this could be confirmation bias/small sample.

On another note, I'd argue that to a certain extend the discrimination is towards the man in this regard. The bride can automatically change her name as part of the process of getting married, whereas the man has to go the formal route, outside of the wedding, the same as if anyone were changing their name.

I imagine the practical difficulty of the man taking the woman's name is an impact on which name they choose to keep as much as anything else.

I've no idea how name changing in a homosexual relationship works incidentally, does one of them get classified as the "bride" and get this automatic change?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by shanayjb)
    Thank you for that enlightening reply, you are right, these days a lot of women are keeping their surnames. However the MAJORITY as stated in the original question are taking their husband's names, we are saying whether this is contradictory.

There is no right or wrong, but it's nice to read differing opinions on the matter.

If you think it is a silly question then so be it.
    Contradictory of what? There are reasons its developed as a tradition. Couples can pick whatever name they like. Why would it be anyone elses business?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's voluntary, so I guess the answer would be "no".

As an aside though, I personally think double-barrelled names are a bit silly. I think women should either change their surname, or just keep their own if they'd prefer not to change it.

ReputationRep:
    Well I certainly won't be keeping my surname with one like Rough ahaha put a ring on it boyyyy

ReputationRep:
    Women predominantly take the name of their husband in heterosexual marriages, does this contradict contempory women's rights?
    Do women have the right to keep their name? Yes.

So is anything contradicted? No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I disagree as it is a tradition that should not be broken.
    A woman must take oj her husbands name, as the man proposes, so by proposing she should take on my name

ReputationRep:
    For practical purposes I'd just keep my surname, not that I am female.

Saves the effort of having to change it.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think I'd pay attention to the traditions when I get married - I'll just discuss it with my partner and decide ourselves. Not that I intend to get married for quite a while...

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious, those saying they'll keep their own separate surnames - which surname would you give to the children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    I'm curious, those saying they'll keep their own separate surnames - which surname would you give to the children?
    That's a good question.
    Also I have wondered as more and more double barrel families abound, they are more likely to meet and fall in love. So, what happens when John Fitzwilliam-Jones marries Mary Thomas-Jenkins?
    Does she become Mary Fitzwilliam-Jones-Thomas Jenkins?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    That's a good question.
    Also I have wondered as more and more double barrel families abound, they are more likely to meet and fall in love. So, what happens when John Fitzwilliam-Jones marries Mary Thomas-Jenkins?
    I've made this exact same argument when people suggest "just double-barrel your surnames" to me regarding my marriage.

To go one further, what happens when Mary Fitzwilliam-Jones-Thomas-Jenkins meets John Smith-Bloggs-Brown-Ramzan? What about their kids? The amalgam names would be even more hilarious. Perhaps take the first letter from each name?

It gets very ridiculous very quickly.

It's a choice...?
    I can't wait to take my husband's surname, because I really hate my own

ReputationRep:
    As a feminist I believe that if a woman wants to take her husband's last name, without regards to how it may be expected of her in society, then that's fine that's her choice. However, if she feels pressured to take it because of society and because of family or because of even movies where women are so 'excited' to change their last name to their husband's last name. So yeah, it's her choice and should be for her own reasons.
    Personally, I've never liked the idea of a woman taking the husband's last name traditionally because it basically just shows a woman going from being her dad's to her husband's so it's like women are constantly expected to take the names of the men in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    This is why even Women hate modern day feminism.

It's just brainless drivel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    That's a good question.

No she takes on the husbands name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsrsarahhhh)
    MRS implies you belong to the MR (MR'S)
    Mrs is ultimately short for "Mistress". It's just adding the suffix "ess" onto the word "Mister" to make it feminine, in the same way that you turn "actor" into "actress".

It's not an implication of possession.

ReputationRep:
    Women predominantly take the name of their husband in heterosexual marriages, does this contradict contempory women's rights?
    men predominantly pay for women in a relationship - does this contradict contemporary men's rights?

ReputationRep:
    I think many feminists and women-rights activists need to stop telling other people how or what to do with their lives. The choice to choose what a woman wants to do after marriage is for her to make - neither her partner nor feminists should go around suggesting what she should do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.