Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you a splurger or a saver? Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you a splurger or a saver?
    Slurger
    30.85%
    Saver
    69.15%

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Bit of both, I save a fair bit but I also allow myself enough to play around with.
    So you have some of budget, but you're not a cheapskate:P

(Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    Broke af lmao
    sorry to hear that.

(Original post by Big white)
    Saver i will save anything i can and anything i can get, i rarely ever spend if it is i'm super stingy and buy the cheap stuff which will get me through
    I wonder if you're even more stingy than i am?:P
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    I paid for my wedding earlier this year and bought my flat a few years ago, so I'm lucky on that front! Can't really think of anything else big I'm likely to need to save up for in the near future.
    I m jealous:P Sounds like you've got a good balance if you've not got anything big you'll need to pay out in the future

ReputationRep:
    Saver. Most of the times I don't know what I want and only buy things I need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    So you have some of budget, but you're not a cheapskate:P
    Pretty much, I put a couple of hundred away a month and the rest is for spending and investing, though I too sometimes invest my savings if the return is just round the corner and it's pretty much a lock.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Pretty much, I put a couple of hundred away a month and the rest is for spending and investing, though I too sometimes invest my savings if the return is just round the corner and it's pretty much a lock.
    £200 savings a month is pretty good
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    I've been a bad splurger recently, makeup is just too tempting to buy
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Bit of both yet I buy a lot of unnecessary things and I am what one may call a hoarder.

ReputationRep:
    I'm as cheapskate as they come and literally try buy the cheapest version of everything and have completely stopped my spending on treats for the most part, i need to stop buying coffees and snacks when i m out as that's my only remaining weak spot now. What about you?
    I used to be much better at saving when I was at uni but now I splurge all my money on food and treats when I'm having a rubbish day! I want someone to teach me to be more of a cheapskate!

ReputationRep:
    50/50

i have the ability to save and i can do this efficiently however if im not saving it for a specific reason, when it gets to a decent amount, il go shopping

for example, today my last payment towards my credit card cleared and i was back to my £200 limit (first credit card) so i went shopping and bought everything i needed for holiday

ReputationRep:
    Neither broke af
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I go through phases, at the moment I'm in saving mode :ahee:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    I used to be much better at saving when I was at uni but now I splurge all my money on food and treats when I'm having a rubbish day! I want someone to teach me to be more of a cheapskate!
    If you have to buy food, try and completely avoid branded products, lidl does the best 30p chocolate and biscuits so i just eat those and make everything else myself

ReputationRep:
    I'm a saver. But I like buying quality products so I save for those. I almost never buy the basic brand of anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm as cheapskate as they come and literally try buy the cheapest version of everything and have completely stopped my spending on treats for the most part, i need to stop buying coffees and snacks when i m out as that's my only remaining weak spot now. What about you?
    im quoting u here bc idk why i cnt quote u frm tht other post
    but yh, it depends on the brand and where i buy it from
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I've been a bad splurger recently, makeup is just too tempting to buy
    Get a superdrug beautycard and you'll get 10% off if you have an nus card if you dont already do that

(Original post by Rhythmical)
    Bit of both yet I buy a lot of unnecessary things and I am what one may call a hoarder.
    I am the entire opposite of a hoarder, i have a buy one thing and i have to throw out at least one thing to make up for it, its working relatively well at the moment. What is it you like to hoard? :P
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    50/50

i have the ability to save and i can do this efficiently however if im not saving it for a specific reason, when it gets to a decent amount, il go shopping

for example, today my last payment towards my credit card cleared and i was back to my £200 limit (first credit card) so i went shopping and bought everything i needed for holiday
    Sounds like a good balance, i generally don't need a reason to save,i just like seeing money in the bank:P

(Original post by Slowbro93)
    I go through phases, at the moment I'm in saving mode :ahee:
    Yay for saving mode Anything imparticular you're saving for ?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if you're even more stingy than i am?:P
    o.o i dunno, i mean i haven't been to mcdonalds in a few months and the last time i went all i got was a mcflurry

ReputationRep:
    i am saving up for a wife
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by EllainKahlo)
    I'm a saver. But I like buying quality products so I save for those. I almost never buy the basic brand of anything.
    What's wrong with basic brands? If its food, salt and pepper and some spices and you'll forget how cheap the product is:P

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly, i have an Iphone 5c on contract, but i m not going on holiday apart from a cheap uk break this year and won't be buying any tech. With food i really dont see the point in spending in anywhere thats not lidl/aldi, with a decent collection of herbs and spices you never notice the different in my mind.
    Definitely agree RE: the food. Before I moved in with my boyfriend he was all 'ooh I'd never shop at Aldi' (which is funny as he mostly lived off Iceland frozen chicken and chips at uni). Within a week of living together, I had him converted.

Ah, I live for my holidays & I don't buy tech very often, but when I do I tend to not go cheap.

I do save more than I spend still, mind - even whilst at uni I've managed to save up a few grand despite getting the minimum student loan and having a car to run.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Big white)
    o.o i dunno, i mean i haven't been to mcdonalds in a few months and the last time i went all i got was a mcflurry
    Yeah, you're the much better cheapskate, i think i've spent £25 on takeaways and mcdonalds in the past 6 weeks.
    (Original post by the bear)
    i am saving up for a wife
    You planning on buying one? :O

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.