Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    It was £6000 in tuition fees for my foundation year, and when I phoned up student finance they said I would get funding for the entire length of my actual degree plus one extra year.
    I think a reason people choose foundation years over A-Level resits is to get used to University life.
    what type of funding like free or you pay less?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Numero Uno)
    Student loans. So the slc pay the tuition fees and you pay back when you're earning. You'll also get a maintainance loan to use on food and accommodation, again to be paid back later.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It may be covered by your normal student loan. But check the specifics for your course. As has been noted above, this is much easier if the Foundation is integrated into a full degree course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It may be covered by your normal student loan. But check the specifics for your course. As has been noted above, this is much easier if the Foundation is integrated into a full degree course.
    The degree is kind of integrated you have an option of doing other computer courses once you do the foundation so its flexible.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The degree is kind of integrated you have an option of doing other computer courses once you do the foundation so its flexible.
    You will need to check with your university to confirm if it qualifies for SFE, without affecting your "gift year".

ReputationRep:
    You will need to check with your university to confirm if it qualifies for SFE, without affecting your "gift year".
    Sorry what is a gift year??

ReputationRep:
    The gift year is one extra year of funding given by student finance for your degree in case you need to retake a year or other such circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    The gift year is one extra year of funding given by student finance for your degree in case you need to retake a year or other such circumstances.
    ah alright thank you
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    As EF said

And so you don't want the Foundation to use it up if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I would expect as the foundation year is combined in your course then it doesnt use up the gift year. Some foundations are stand alone.

ReputationRep:
    Guys I really need to look at foundation years but I can't find any. How did you guys find your foundation courses and are there foundation courses in clearing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnterNamehereplz)
    Guys I really need to look at foundation years but I can't find any. How did you guys find your foundation courses and are there foundation courses in clearing?
    Just type in the course you'd like to do in the UCAS course search but put 'including foundation year' with it, they should come up then. And yes, I applied for my foundation year through clearing just phone up and apply as you would for any other course through clearing.
    Feel free to ask me if you have any questions regarding the process, best of luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    As EF said

And so you don't want the Foundation to use it up if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So it is entitled 'BSc computing with foundation year' and you are saying some foundations you can use this gift year as you are effectively doing an extra year to get to uni. Would the course above be open to the gift year or could you direct me to a webpage that could help me find this information?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    So it is entitled 'BSc computing with foundation year' and you are saying some foundations you can use this gift year as you are effectively doing an extra year to get to uni. Would the course above be open to the gift year or could you direct me to a webpage that could help me find this information?
    No no. That's an integrated course. You don't need to use up your gift year just apply for the normal student loan.

It's all good

ReputationRep:
    No no. That's an integrated course. You don't need to use up your gift year just apply for the normal student loan.

It's all good
    okay thanks for all the help
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    okay thanks for all the help
    No problem. And good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I just think they suit certain types of people and certain situations.

How much does a foundation year cost? is it the same as a normal year of uni ? i.e £9,000 plus maybe £6,000-£8,000 in living costs. Plus you use up your spare years funding.

Price of A level resits? less than £300?

Youd have to look at what the state of your studies are and whether resits were viable from an academic perspective. If you dont mind the debt then go ahead, but make good use of soemthing you are taking on extra debt for.
    At least for my year, I don't think it's possible to resit A levels again as their is a new spec being taught this year, so I think a foundation year would be a good idea if one does wish to go to university.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    At least for my year, I don't think it's possible to resit A levels again as their is a new spec being taught this year, so I think a foundation year would be a good idea if one does wish to go to university.
    Anyone who is doing legacy spec will get the opportunity to resit in 2017.

Anyone who is doing new spec will get the opportunity to resit.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.