Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are some people just so much better than others? watch

ReputationRep:
    Genetics
    Luck
    Destiny
    Intelligence
    Attractiveness

I'm mainly blame luck for people who are better. You either won the gene lottery or didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Hard work maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    You are fat because you probably eats lots of calorie intensive food and you probably do not do much exercise. A few people are lucky enough to be blessed with a slim physique no matter what they eat. But most of us aren't that lucky.
    I'll be the first to admit that I have a sweet tooth but I've been eating well recently and cut down on sugar by quite a lot. Still I'm not losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Random processes play a major part
    lol at people and the lies they tell themselves to rationalise their failures :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Only at most 50% of difference in IQ test scores can be attributed to genetics (according to studies), so there's a lot of room for other factors
    50 percent is a very high number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    I'll be the first to admit that I have a sweet tooth but I've been eating well recently and cut down on sugar by quite a lot. Still I'm not losing weight.
    What you've just said could mean anything - or nothing. Cutting down on sugar is just one step in the grand scheme to get slim. You also need to cut down on carbs, total calories and processed foods. Eating wholesome food passes through your body far easier and doesn't linger as fat deposits. So now, you might have cut down on sugar, but your whole calories might have increased if you substitute that chocolate bar for a slice or two of buttered toast. But thats not progress now is it?

If you've been eating well for a week, then you won't see any change. After a month, you might see that you've lost a few good kilograms when you step on the scales, if you've been good. After 3 or 4 months, you'll actually be able to see improvements with your own eyes.

If you can eat 1500 calories a day, of healthy wholesome meat, eggs, fruit and veg, and do daily exercise for at least a month, then you'll see results. If you aren't doing that...then maybe you should start tonight.

ReputationRep:
    What you've just said could mean anything - or nothing. Cutting down on sugar is just one step in the grand scheme to get slim. You also need to cut down on carbs, total calories and processed foods. Eating wholesome food passes through your body far easier and doesn't linger as fat deposits. So now, you might have cut down on sugar, but your whole calories might have increased if you substitute that chocolate bar for a slice or two of buttered toast. But thats not progress now is it?

If you've been eating well for a week, then you won't see any change. After a month, you might see that you've lost a few good kilograms when you step on the scales, if you've been good. After 3 or 4 months, you'll actually be able to see improvements with your own eyes.

If you can eat 1500 calories a day, of healthy wholesome meat, eggs, fruit and veg, and do daily exercise for at least a month, then you'll see results. If you aren't doing that...then maybe you should start tonight.
    The carb thing is a myth. We need carbohydrates to maintain ourselves and they are an essential part of our diet.

ReputationRep:
    The carb thing is a myth. We need carbohydrates to maintain ourselves and they are an essential part of our diet.
    I didn't say you should cut them out completely. I eat porridge oats everyday.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say you should cut them out completely. I eat porridge oats everyday.
    I tried to get into porridge and I just couldn't stomach it, it looks like vomit.

ReputationRep:
    I tried to get into porridge and I just couldn't stomach it, it looks like vomit.
    I did not say that you have to eat porridge.

ReputationRep:
    I did not say that you have to eat porridge.
    I didn't think you did, I just think it's revolting.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think you did, I just think it's revolting.
    Then don't eat it, simples.

ReputationRep:
    Then don't eat it, simples.
    OK thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I second the healthy eating thing. If you're serious about it then you should always plan meals, taking into consideration sugar, carbs, saturated fat, etc. So that it is below your daily allowance (so fat would be lost). You could also exercise on top of that so you look toned and slim at the end of your regime. Finding good exercises for your muscle groups (even if they only use bodyweight) would get you results if you're consistent.

For your personality, hanging around positive things/people and being sociable may help (not too sure about this field...) but personality isn't very important unless you're the Grinch or something: there are friends and relationships for a large majority of personalities.

The status/money thing would be the hardest. If you have any sort of passion for anything I would suggest for you to pursue it as a career. If not, then going in a job where there is clear potential to build up your career would be good. Forcing yourself to be kind and diligent at work would be beneficial, and applying for better positions elsewhere will help with the growth.

Unfortunately, this is just a plan I theorised. But the most important thing is motivation: when you get motivation in the bag, nothing can stop you. Even if that superior girl you describe shows no motivation and is lucky, don't let that demotivate you!

ReputationRep:
    She has a first degree in languages while I had a nervous breakdown and dropped out.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno all about the options you have, but you could probably research to find some options that could lead you into a career (?!)

ReputationRep:
    A person's mindset can easily influence the things that happen to them in their lives. One thing that resonated with me was the concept of a 'growth mindset'. Since accepting it, I've become a completely different person than who I was a year ago. I used to believe that my abilities were predetermined due to things that had happened throughout my childhood but now I realise as human beings none of us were born with significant advantages (albeit a few). Try watching this video, hopefully it can change your perspective. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_oqghnxBmY

ReputationRep:
    There will always be someone better than you 'in some way'.
    There is no point in comparing yourself to others, even though its hard not to at times.
    We all do it now and then, even subconsciously but its pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Some people have misinterpreted the point of this thread. It wasn't for advice on how to become better but rather to establish why some people are inherently better than others.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, it's just that you sounded pessimistic and lost when you described your personal situation. Maybe you shouldn't make a general question so not-general :s

I think it's because of genes and how we're brought up from a young age =3=

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.