Turn on thread page Beta

V988 – Citizenship for Services Bill 2016 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    74.00%
    On the contrary, No
    8.00%
    Abstain
    18.00%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Thank you. It is a shame that you're being given extra work because some people can't be bothered to check whether or not the person they are proxying has already voted on the Bill or not.
    In all fairness it requires the new MP to go into the poll results and check first – really it is something for party whips to co-ordinate.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    What... so my vote doesn't count? Not very fair.
    Well, the Liberals can't cast 10 votes for their 9 seats, can they?

Given THB is the permanent MP, his vote will count. The role of a proxy is to vote where the sitting MP is unable to do so, and this is not an example of such a situation.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I did tell you it was only from what was posted that night onwards
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    In all fairness it requires the new MP to go into the poll results and check first – really it is something for party whips to co-ordinate.
    Even so, that doesn't take long at all... It is definitely something that either the proxy/Party leader/whip should do, rather than having these mistakes here.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If both your votes counted then the amount of votes each party had would be very different

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The speaker allows MPs to change their mind, what's the difference? I may only be a proxy but I don't agree with the way the seat I'm holding has voted, so I want to change it.

(Original post by mobbsy91)
    Thank you. It is a shame that you're being given extra work because some people can't be bothered to check whether or not the person they are proxying has already voted on the Bill or not.
    :rolleyes:
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Well, the Liberals can't cast 10 votes for their 9 seats, can they?

Given THB is the permanent MP, his vote will count. The role of a proxy is to vote where the sitting MP is unable to do so, and this is not an example of such a situation.
    We hold 8 seats But yes, this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    The speaker allows MPs to change their mind, what's the difference? I may only be a proxy but I don't agree with the way the seat I'm holding has voted, so I want to change it.

:rolleyes:
    The job of a Proxy is to vote on anything the permanent MP cannot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's not your place to do so. If anything by the book your job is to take instruction on how to vote from the permanent seat holder.

ReputationRep:
    How is this even an argument...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    We hold 8 seats But yes, this.
    Oh my God, of course you do.

Somehow I'm still stuck in the last Parliament.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's not your place to do so. If anything by the book your job is to take instruction on how to vote from the permanent seat holder.
    The job of a Proxy is to vote on anything the permanent MP cannot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is only custom, where in the rule book does it say a proxy can't change the vote if the vote is still open?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Oh my God, of course you do.

Somehow I'm still stuck in the last Parliament.
    Is someone missing Number 10?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    That is only custom, where in the rule book does it say a proxy can't change the vote if the vote is still open?
    I can make it easier and remove you as the proxy, or you can accept that you cannot change this vote. It's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    By my knowledge the job of the proxy is not only to vote on what the permanent MP can't, but to do so in the way that the permanent MP would. Changing the permanent MPs vote goes in direct contradiction of this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I can make it easier and remove you as the proxy, or you can accept that you cannot change this vote. It's up to you.
    I will accept it after you show me the rule that says a proxy can't change a vote.

ReputationRep:
    You said previously the Liberal Party did not have a whipping system, you are now threatening an MP who wants to change a vote; the Liberal Party does have a whipping system.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I will accept it after you show me the rule that says a proxy can't change a vote.
    The fact that in the rule book the proxy is meant to be instructed how to vote

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    You said previously the Liberal Party did not have a whipping system, you are now threatening an MP who wants to change a vote; the Liberal Party does have a whipping system.
    I'll send you the party constitution some time Nige, no whipping system. It does not bother me in the slightest how Snufkin wants to vote, that isn't the issue at hand. The fact is that he is not the proxy MP for this bill, something you know just as well as I do.

ReputationRep:

I'll send you the party constitution some time Nige, no whipping system. It does not bother me in the slightest how Snufkin wants to vote, that isn't the issue at hand. The fact is that he is not the proxy MP for this bill, something you know just as well as I do.
    There is nothing binding to say Snufkin has to follow how the previous member to have the seat voted if the poll is live; threatening Snufkin is a de facto whip.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    And yet you chose to employ a first come first serve policy when choosing a proxy, rather than picking someone with similar political views as THB. You know perfectly well that I disagree with nearly everything THB says.

I can't find any rule that says a proxy can't change the vote if they want to.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.