Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Here's a reality check for Brexiters watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macsalaama)
    If Britain does leave the EU, what would happen to the expats (EU migrants in the UK and British migrants in EU countries)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-brexit-europe

ReputationRep:
    Damn
    As a EU national living in the UK that's pretty worrying considering it's all pretty much up in the air at the moment. I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume a lot of EU nationals (*points at myself*)haven't bothered applying to become a national of the country they're living in because simply having a EU passport was enough.
    If we do leave you EU, you would have to become a national of the country and I'm sure you'd have no problem in doing so.

ReputationRep:
    tfw guardian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    No one knows, Leave wants to keep all current EU migrants in the UK and just stop future immigration, the Government says they'll kick them out. In practice it'll probably end up somewhere in between depending on how hostile the negotiations are.
    If the government did end up kicking EU migrants out other countries could do the same, wouldn't that be a bad thing?

It's one area I haven't heard much about in the media, which is odd considering immigration is always mentioned at some point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    Even that is uncertain!

I am baffled how people can vote to leave when literally everything Leave say is uncertain, unclear, or just hypothetical.
    Because who's fault is that that we don't have a solid leave plan? The government got so cocky about people voting remain that they didn't even try to come up with one. The referendum is also just that, legally non-binding, the government doesn't have to go through with it, and equally if the people vote to exit this time then parliament can come up with a leave plan and then have people vote again.

ReputationRep:
    It's so frightening it keeps me up at night! And I'm a British national! I hope we stay and honor the cooperation between Britain and your EU country.
    You said you were from the 'EU' in this thread...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...991&highlight=
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If the government did end up kicking EU migrants out other countries could do the same, wouldn't that be a bad thing?

It's one area I haven't heard much about in the media, which is odd considering immigration is always mentioned at some point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Honestly it's more likely it will go the other way, the EU will say they're kicking the Brits out and then the UK will respond in kind. Leave doesn't want people who are already here to be kicked out and the Government doesn't really want anyone kicked out despite what they're saying.

But yes it would be very bad, more so for the EU than the UK though as you'd have a tonne of countries that net receive money from the EU suddenly getting an influx of thousands of returning migrants. That would mean skills aren't worth as much as there's now a larger skilled worker pool with no extra demand and a lot of unskilled workers have returned as well. On the other hand the UK just gets its skilled workers back because retiree visas are very well established and there aren't really any unskilled Brits working on the mainland.

ReputationRep:
    It's so frightening it keeps me up at night! And I'm a British national! I hope we stay and honor the cooperation between Britain and your EU country.
    Thanks buddy, I hope so too.
    In the grand scheme of things it can be seen as a small issue but the smaller perks of being in the EU are at risk, little things people rarely notice like travelling freely without visas.

That made me feel quite depressed reading it. The uncertainty is even more scary now.

(Original post by NickLCFC)
    If we do leave you EU, you would have to become a national of the country and I'm sure you'd have no problem in doing so.
    If I'm given the chance I would within a heartbeat:yy:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Honestly it's more likely it will go the other way, the EU will say they're kicking the Brits out and then the UK will respond in kind. Leave doesn't want people who are already here to be kicked out and the Government doesn't really want anyone kicked out despite what they're saying.

But yes it would be very bad, more so for the EU than the UK though as you'd have a tonne of countries that net receive money from the EU suddenly getting an influx of thousands of returning migrants. That would mean skills aren't worth as much as there's now a larger skilled worker pool with no extra demand and a lot of unskilled workers have returned as well. On the other hand the UK just gets its skilled workers back because retiree visas are very well established and there aren't really any unskilled Brits working on the mainland.
    I can imagine that, namely France and Spain although I doubt either either side would do anything straight away.

What's in it for skilled workers who don't want to return, or if they have spouses in the country they're living in?
    It all becomes confusing the more I think about it:eek:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "source: the guardian"
    no thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks buddy, I hope so too.
    In the grand scheme of things it can be seen as a small issue but the smaller perks of being in the EU are at risk, little things people rarely notice like travelling freely without visas.

That made me feel quite depressed reading it. The uncertainty is even more scary now.

If I'm given the chance I would within a heartbeat:yy:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Visa free travel is pretty common, the only major countries you need a visa to go to as someone with a reasonably powerful passport are the US and China.

That Guardian article is sheer fear-mongering, the vast majority of British ex-pats in Spain are retirees and they have a very easy and well established visa.

ReputationRep:
    What's hilarious is that leaving the EU will not affect immigration like Nigel Farage says it will. Sure, we will not be bound by EU laws but we will be bound by countless international laws.

The USA has taken in 100k Syrians. We are much closer to Syria, they will keep coming here en masse.

Here's a tip Nigel: how about you relocate the entire island of Great Britain
    Indpendent countries aren't bound by any international laws.

What's your source for your claim about the US taking in 100,000 Syrians?

The day Nigel needs tips from a remainer, is the day the world turns upside down.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I can imagine that, namely France and Spain although I doubt either either side would do anything straight away.

What's in it for skilled workers who don't want to return, or if they have spouses in the country they're living in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well those who are married would have local citizenship so it would be a non-issue for them. As for skilled workers who don't want to return, it could go a lot of ways, 1) they don't get a choice and they're kicked out, 2) employers will just apply to sponsor their visas because it will be better for them than finding a new employee, 3) Skilled EU migrants will receive a massive amount of preference when it comes to visas as there will be a war for skilled workers from the UK and EU and the UK will be sponsoring skilled workers in general a lot more easily as they'll no longer have the large number of unskilled EU migrants to worry about in the immigration numbers.

ReputationRep:
    They will have their various working permits revoked and it will no longer be legal to work where they work. They would have to issue new permits/visas. That's British migrants in EU countries.

As for EU migrants in the UK, I have no idea. I wonder if Leave have got that figured out? (probably not)
    Where do you get this stuff from? What's your source?

The leave side has said it would not kick anyone out. I can't see a party that has formed past or present governments kicking anyone out either. They're really quite keen on immigration.

ReputationRep:
    Lets hope we leave British jobs for British workers

ReputationRep:
    The USA has taken in 100k Syrians.
    You're embarrassing yourself.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nobody will be kicked out. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    You said you were from the 'EU' in this thread...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...991&highlight=
    That question wasn't about me. It was about a friend who had done MYP instead of GCSE. As is 1 or 2 other posts. It's easier to say it's me than write "my friend is xyz..."

I thought you were at least clever enough to put 2 and 2 together.
    I understand you were confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamora)
    Where do you get this stuff from? What's your source?

The leave side has said it would not kick anyone out. I can't see a party that has formed past or present governments kicking anyone out either. They're really quite keen on immigration.
    I didn't say kick out!! I said they would have to issue new permits!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    Lets hope we leave British jobs for British workers

and which one's are they, exactly ?

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.