Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

what should I do with my life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    Focus on getting stronger. Join a boxing club and fight. You'll get hurt but that's a part of the game and soon little things won't hurt you anymore. If someone threatens you in real life, then you won't be afraid of hurting him because you have experience. It's incredibly uplifting as a man to have confidence in your own body.

Train daily to get stronger and tougher, this will give you a good target to look forward to everyday. Eat healthy. Go to the shooting range if you can't own guns, but still want to shoot.

As for work, I would recommend training for physical blue collar work. That's where real skilled work lies.
    I bought a bench and some weights a few months ago and have been using them a few times a week but one of the big problems is I'm pretty overweight (thanks to the medication) so not really making obvious gains. I also have a pretty bad shoulder injury which keeps recurring so I can't do too much.

Blue collar work isn't a bad idea, I looked into it after reading your post and the main problem is that it's 4 years to train as an electrician or plumber. My dad's a plumber so I know a fair bit about what it involves, it's definitely something I'll think about. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Your story honestly upsets me, I'm sorry for what you've had to go through.
    Maybe try Law if your interested, or if you really wanted to do nursing, maybe restart and I would be willing to help & support you!
    Hope you are well x

ReputationRep:
    Would you be consider becoming a psychologist (again, working on the notion of helping others, and possibly building on your past experiences and difficulties) ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm bipolar, today I had flickering suicidal thoughts and thoughts that my life was **** (I still stand by that) but now I'm finishing off my SLC form, and have made two decent music tracks. One door closes another opens, but always try to think positive and that the glass is half full, there's a whole world out there plenty of opportunities to do things etc. I had to drop out of my dream course (English) when I was at uni initiallly though health. Now I'm going again to pursue another passion of mine, music. Just keep trying, no one says you can't go again. You're younger than me iirc. If you can't do one course just do another. You may enjoy it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I bought a bench and some weights a few months ago and have been using them a few times a week but one of the big problems is I'm pretty overweight (thanks to the medication) so not really making obvious gains. I also have a pretty bad shoulder injury which keeps recurring so I can't do too much.

Blue collar work isn't a bad idea, I looked into it after reading your post and the main problem is that it's 4 years to train as an electrician or plumber. My dad's a plumber so I know a fair bit about what it involves, it's definitely something I'll think about. Thanks.
    Injuries are always a pain in the backside but you shouldn't let them control what you can do. If your shoulder is bad, then work your legs, chest and back. There are a variety of exercises where you don't have to involve shoulders too much, I'm sure.

If medication is giving you weight problems, you should still eat healthy and in moderation (if you aren't). I've personally known and seen people who've had all the odds in the world stacked against them only to swat those odds away like an unwanted fly and reach their goals no matter what. It's brilliant to see.

I recommend you buy the book 'Solitary Fitness' by Charles Bronson just so you know what men can do with their hands and some ground. It goes a long way to show how men are capable of herculean feats of strength and endurance, if they put they're minds to it.

I've personally always liked the idea of being a bricklayer or a fisherman and I should have gone into those lines of work when I was 16. But you need guidance when you're young and instead I went to college. I'll be training for a tower crane operatives license soon, so we'll see how that goes. Whatever you do, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I live in the US (in a state that doesn't allow someone who has been in a psychiatric hospital (either voluntarily and involuntarily) to buy a gun. So yeah, i can't even protect myself and my wife).
    What brought you to the UK-based TSR?

ReputationRep:
    It's not bad advice at all, I think you're spot on. I want to help people and not be stuck behind a desk. Hence my interest in nursing, I am most interested in the mental health sector so I can help people with my own experiences but I am so sure I'm going to fail this module which means I'll be kicked off the course.
    thats not a good motivation

i had some thinking about failing and concluded that we are all able to succeed with the right equipment and mindset, you are in america i presume??? so you're pretty fortunate, although education isnt free you still have education and if you focus you will get there. i have my exams and ngl i think im going to fail too but i have so much free time and all the right resources that theres no reason to fail.

if people before us can succeed then we dont have an excuse

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link, although having looked at it I'm not entirely sure what it is....?

I think my university might have a careers service but I think it's more aimed at graduates rather than useless dropouts.
    It's just a bunch of clips of people talking about how issues arise when a young person is finding their feet in the world of work.

No it'll be aimed at everyone who's been at the uni! You should speak to them and student support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    America :rolleyes:
    Just to let you know, I think your inbox is full: I tried replying to your message about the EU but couldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    Just to let you know, I think your inbox is full: I tried replying to your message about the EU but couldn't.
    Sorted

ReputationRep:
    When I was a kid I always wanted to be in the army. However I got diagnosed with mild hemophilia at age 12 and so that dream was shattered.

I thought "hey, well, nevermind I'll train to be a police officer", I mean it's helping people and helps make the world a better place. That's something that's important to me. I got my master's related to police work.

When I was 18 I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression, which I'd had a few years but never saw a doctor about. The next few years were terrible, I saw so many doctors, took so many pills, tried talk therapy, mindfulness, watching my food, exercising a lot more but nothing helped. After a few different diagnoses my psychiatrist settled on paranoid schizophrenia. I feel like my world has been torn apart, I completely lost my direction.

After the depression/schizophrenia I knew I wouldn't be allowed in the police (they have guns where I live) so I decided to start again and get a degree in nursing. I really looked forward to it, though in my first semester I failed a module and just scraped through another. I feel so incredibly useless; I'm doing the failed module now and I know I'm going to fail again, I keep trying to put the effort in but my concentration and memory are both awful (SZ can cause that), I know it's useless and I'm actually crying right now as I've ****ed up any chance of being a nurse.

I don't know what to do. :cry: I want a job but I don't know what's available that interests me.

I know at this time of night TSR likes taking the piss so please anyone if you have ideas that would be great, if you just want to poke fun please don't bother.
    Maybe you can still work for police, or the army but not necessarily be a soldier or a policeman.Maybe get some work experience to see what you actually like doing.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.