Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanwells9)
    Live in Newcastle, and damn. Wouldn't pay that much for insurance haha - but nice car. | How do you feel having such a powerful car as your first one, would you recommend it if I can get the insurance right?
    It's an absolute beast of a car but like you've said it's really powerful. I am in fact thinking about selling it and buying a smaller one such as 1 series or something similar. It's too powerful for a young driver and has a high risk of an accident because you do get excited and put your foot down more and more then you just realise how fast you're going and panic. So, No. I wouldn't recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    damnnnnnnnnn, that would be nice...
    my friend got a Ferrari 360 spider as her first car
    but her dad is an international diamond dealer so he can afford it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    he's shown me some crazy stones before the best was a 5ct FV blue princess which he was due to take to a client in dubai, it was priced at $1.8million on the papers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone talking about their incredibbly high first insurance prices.

Me in rural East Sussex with my '15 plate Ford KA and only £750 for first year. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    £7500 is a bit much for a first car isn't it?
    Plus the parts are gonna be expensive for it too!

I love the Audi A5 but I don't think it's a good first car. You should go for something a bit smaller like the A1 or A3 maybe?
    But how the hell have you got those quotes for it! That's incredible!

ReputationRep:
    What year A4 is it you want?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

I've had it down to ~£1650 before - still pretty good though.
    That quote requires telematics.

Running costs (including servicing and tyres (tyres are expensive)).

Large car = trickier to park.

Large doors = tricky to get out off after you have parked in a car park / garage.

ReputationRep:
    mypolicy always give quotes about £900 vs £1600 with a normal - to get them to put out £1820 means you've nil chance of getting a good deal elsewhere. they will use the black box data to put up your cost even more.

in short no an a5 is not a good first car because you'll be either driving it like a pensioner because of the black box, or you'll wrap it round a tree because of an itchy foot.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 30, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.