Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stock up on Food and Petrol if Britexit happens and pound crashes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snake_God)
    Self made men and entrepreneurs support a Brexit as it removes suffocating red tape but fat cat corporates don't because they like getting away with tax dodging in Brussels and love their way of lobbying through the EU.
    Yeah! Damn those corporate fat cats like The Archbishop of Canterbury, Stephen Hawkins, Jeremy Clarkson and Dawn French.

I can't see how anyone can trust them. They're clearly in it for themselves.

Everyone should know that Farage, Boris and IDS have our best interests at heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anno007)
    Which means more profits for UK firms and cheaper goods for UK consumers. The workers shouldn't have a right to work at the expense of everyone else.

*oh no, the horses now pull the ploughs, what will happen to us farm labourers*
    It depends if you are the workers? Are you prepared to work for a third of the salary in order to compete with the East?

ReputationRep:
    the way i see it is that, post 2008 the UK govt. was bust.
    It survives (unlike Greece) because the pound was strong so it could get cheap foreign loans to service the debt.

If we get a britexit, just looking at the FTSE will tell you that foreigners are taking all their money out.

This means, the UK govt will go bust, and as per greece, its quite possible you will see middle class OAPs looking for food in dustins.

That is the potential prospect of a loss of confidence in the UK by foreign debtors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    It seems to me that there is an outside chance that we could get total collapse in confidence in UK by our foreign lenders that are currently keeping the pound up, house prices up, pensions up and government afloat.

Are we at a vague risk of total economic meltdown?
    nobody knows what will happen.... it is quite possible that what you suggested may come about :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Total economic collapse or the mass invasion of 500 million people to the UK on 24th June at the behest of their overlords in Brussels.
    It won't be at the behest of their overlords but I would have thought over the next 2 years a lot of people will come over before immigration tightens up.

ReputationRep:
    wonder if it's a good time to buy Euros though. since I'd have thought if we leave the pound will weaken a little in the short term while the uncertainty is ironed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    wonder if it's a good time to buy Euros though. since I'd have thought if we leave the pound will weaken a little in the short term while the uncertainty is ironed out.
    I know people who want to by a flat and have put in offers of "Subject to no britexist".

If you multiply this through the economy, its quite possible we are in for a total collapse.

If we get Britexit, some say it might take up to about 3 years before a full deal is sorted - just imagine what it would be like FINANCIALLY not knowing for 3 years.

It would basically wipe the UK out.

Yeah, if I was a student who wanted to destroy the west I would vote britexit, but otherwise, its a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    pound falling
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ened-by-brexit
    Its starting.

ReputationRep:
    well - sign of the times perhaps.Poundland shares up 25% yesterday!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheyHateUs)
    Are planning to add anything meaningful or just keep spamming this across multiple threads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Are planning to add anything meaningful or just keep spamming this across multiple threads?
    Just keep spamming this across multiple threads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    well - sign of the times perhaps.Poundland shares up 25% yesterday!
    I guess that lifetime supply of Doritos I got ready for the apocaplypse after your warning has been noticed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    It depends if you are the workers? Are you prepared to work for a third of the salary in order to compete with the East?
    No, I'm not. I'm more than happy for my money to go further when I buy cheaper products.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anno007)
    No, I'm not. I'm more than happy for my money to go further when I buy cheaper products.
    Fair enough. But leaving will also mean the pound probably falls. Good for our exporting entrepreneurs, who now have cheap labour in the UK because we no longer have to implement the high standards set by the EU. So we have lower pay, worse conditions and imports are more expensive. So a general rise in living costs. But hey ho - that is the cost of sovereignty I guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Fair enough. But leaving will also mean the pound probably falls. Good for our exporting entrepreneurs, who now have cheap labour in the UK because we no longer have to implement the high standards set by the EU. So we have lower pay, worse conditions and imports are more expensive. So a general rise in living costs. But hey ho - that is the cost of sovereignty I guess?
    Lower pay out of the EU? Currently immigration is a significant cause of low wages in the UK and that is thanks to EU membership. The export of low-wage employment increases wages in the long term. You aren't seeing how economies work over time - which is important because long term change is more significant than short term in terms of living standards, incomes, etc. The UK's working conditions are higher than the EU average and EU requirements. Imports will probably be more expensive in the short term, but only slightly anyway. Overall imports will more than likely be cheaper when, if the UK left (which it won't), trade deals with China, Gulf states, USA, etc. are agreed. Chinese imports could be a lot cheaper if it weren't for EU protectionism - and that alone would be significantly deflationary. China are eager to give us foreign aid in the form of subsidised exports and the UK is stupid to not take full advantage of this. Holding onto redundant and inefficient industries and labour for the sake of the few who may lose their employment slows down long term economic growth at the expense of the majority who would otherwise benefit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.