Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S15 – Statement of Intent from Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The whole point of a report is for the Secretary of State to present to the MHoC the department's plans, members should not take the initiative to ask the SoS for information that should have been included in the report.
    I've presented my plans, if you want to me to go into more detail then this is the platform for you to ask me to. The report was written by myself to provide you and the other members of the house of my plans in the department for BIS, I've done that, and instead of taking the opportunity I've given you to discuss these plans, instead you've decided to instead insult me (not that I mind being insulted, you can go ahead, but there's a time and a place).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I agree in limiting union power and a few others in this " Statement of intent " which it isn't at all
    Much more detail is needed rather than Rushing it out because of the MoNC .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I agree in limiting union power and a few others in this " Statement of intent " which it isn't at all
    Much more detail is needed rather than Rushing it out because of the MoNC .
    I'll tell you what I said to Nigel, rather than criticising the statement for a lack of detail use the opportunity I've given you by releasing the statement to ask for the details where you want them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I've presented my plans, if you want to me to go into more detail then this is the platform for you to ask me to. The report was written by myself to provide you and the other members of the house of my plans in the department for BIS, I've done that, and instead of taking the opportunity I've given you to discuss these plans, instead you've decided to instead insult me (not that I mind being insulted, you can go ahead, but there's a time and a place).
    bill limiting trade unions ability to withdraw labour
    Tell me what powers will be limited.

encouraging trade union membership for employees
    Tell us how membership will be encouraged.

introducing incentives for businesses to invest in capital
    Tell us what these incentives will be.

cut Corporation Tax and Capital Gains Tax
    It would be nice to know how big the cut will be.

Investing in education and training
    A justification is needed to prove throwing money at education will lead to better outcomes.

a greater focus on skills based apprenticeships
    I would like to know what the focus will be on.

major education reform
    I want to know what these reforms will be.

youth training schemes
    I want to know hat the training schemes are, how the training schemes will work, and how much the training schemes will cost.

introduce voluntary national service
    I want to know how this will work, how much it will cost, what the youths will do, and why it is needed.

free education to get at least a level 2 qualification that will not be voluntary.
    I want to know how much this will cost, what will be taught, and what the expected result will be.

the government will be making the UK much more competitive economically
    There needs to be detail saying how this will be done.

a range of supply side policies, both interventionist and free market
    Government intervention is not always the best move but tell is what these policies are.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^^^

This.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hold on, are you actively trying to prove my point or are you doing it by accident?
    I only spent a week telling you that you're making a big deal over nothing in the form of the making a big deal over the trade deficit and you were all like "I'm going to pretend I didn't even read that" in effect, just as I spent the best part of a week objecting you to including claims of interventionalist policies which you denied were even in there, despite it being clearly written, and then when you finally admitted it you were unable to say what, how, where, when or give any details what so ever.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Whilst broad, I'm not broadly opposed to most of what is mentioned here. Comparing bills to what was written here shall be interesting - do I trust these to ensure the security of both the economy and people at all levels of wealth and class? Meh.

ReputationRep:
    1. bill limiting trade unions ability to withdraw labour

I'll be making it harder for Unions to go on strike with higher turnouts and members in favour needed, increasing the number of essential services in the UK and removing their ability to strike.

2. encouraging trade union membership for employees

Well for a start, reducing the ease that unions have to take strike action will make employers less weary of trade union membership. I'll also start a campaign that highlights how it pays to be a trade union member and explain the benefits of being in a trade union.

3. introducing incentives for businesses to invest in capital

I'm currently looking into measures such as loss-carry forwards, which make tax holidaysmore attractive for firms with long gestation periods; reduced taxes on dividends and incomepaid abroad; preferential treatment of long-term capital gains and tax allowances relating to thenumber of employees hired.

4. cut Corporation Tax and Capital Gains Tax

That hasn't been decided yet, personally (not speaking on behalf of the government but instead myself) I'd like to see Corporation tax cut to 15% and have CGT scrapped. This is still being discussed though I can tell you now that there will definitely be cuts to both.

5. Investing in education and training
    A justification is needed to prove throwing money at education will lead to better outcomes.

This ties into my plans to get anyone under 25 who's been unemployed for 12+months at least a level 2 qualification. This will be done alongside the voluntary national service scheme whereby anyone who isn't qualified at all to do any national service will then have to take compulsory lessons to get a level 2 qualification or higher. This will cost money and is the reason for investment being needed.

6. a greater focus on skills based apprenticeships

Skills based apprenticeships provide young people a valuable experience and education relating to the skills that they are learning. Apprenticeships in areas like engineering and construction are especially productive and higher paying so I'll be focusing government campaigns to get people into apprenticeships on those specific areas. Not only that but there is a clear divide between the wages of male and female apprentices, this is because male apprentices tend to go into the more productive, higher paying positions like the ones aforementioned whereas female apprentices tend to go into service based or admin based apprenticeships, so I'll be actively encouraging more women to get into skills based apprenticeships putting more government funding into those and taking it away from admin based apprenticeships (for which, an apprenticeship isn't necessary at all).

7. major education reform

I'm trying to achieve a more targeted education system, like the tripartite system we had previously. I'd like to see more grammar schools, and more technical colleges, and that's what I'm working towards.

8. youth training schemes
    I want to know hat the training schemes are, how the training schemes will work, and how much the training schemes will cost.

I've pretty much described these in previous answers

9. introduce voluntary national service
    I want to know how this will work, how much it will cost, what the youths will do, and why it is needed.

Anyone under 25 who has been unemployed at least a year can go to the job center and apply for the scheme. They will then be offered a list of public sector vacancies that they are qualified to do, and they will choose the position that fits them best. Should they not be qualified for anything they will then have to study for at least a level 2 qualification. Once the person has got their place on the scheme, they will have to sign a year contract (the service will consist of three of these), once the person has signed the one year contract they will not be allowed to quit the service unless they have an alternative job. They will be paid the minimum wage and will have at least a 25 hour contract as minimum. They will be building houses, working in the civil service, the police service, the fire brigade, the military and anywhere else in the public sector as long as they are qualified for the job. The budget for this will be about £3bn which will be spent on training, infrastructure and wages.

The scheme is needed because there is a wasted talent in this country, young people who have bright futures but have been unemployed for a significant amount of time meaning that finding a job is extremely difficult. Not to mention that the skills they learn from working in the private sector for 3 years can then be applied to private sector once they have finished.

10. free education to get at least a level 2 qualification that will not be voluntary.
    I want to know how much this will cost, what will be taught, and what the expected result will be.

The cost for this is included in the £3bn budget for the national service scheme. It will be English, Maths and ICT.

11. the government will be making the UK much more competitive economically

12. a range of supply side policies, both interventionist and free market
    Government intervention is not always the best move but tell is what these policies are.
    Read above or if you want even more detail then just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Whilst broad, I'm not broadly opposed to most of what is mentioned here. Comparing bills to what was written here shall be interesting - do I trust these to ensure the security of both the economy and people at all levels of wealth and class? Meh.
    I didn't expect many labourites to agree with my economic policy to be fair, but I can assure you that as a unionist for both a united people as well as a united kingdom, I will be doing my absolute best to promote aspiration and merit for all sections of society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McRite)
    ^^^^^

This.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post65785469
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I didn't expect many labourites to agree with my economic policy to be fair, but I can assure you that as a unionist for both a united people as well as a united kingdom, I will be doing my absolute best to promote aspiration and merit for all sections of society.
    Alas, pragmatism.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Read above or if you want even more detail then just ask.
    1. bill limiting trade unions ability to withdraw labour

I'll be making it harder for Unions to go on strike with higher turnouts and members in favour needed, increasing the number of essential services in the UK and removing their ability to strike.

I like this idea, but I would like to know what the new turnout needed will be, and what the new essential services will be.

2. encouraging trade union membership for employees

Well for a start, reducing the ease that unions have to take strike action will make employers less weary of trade union membership. I'll also start a campaign that highlights how it pays to be a trade union member and explain the benefits of being in a trade union.

Encouraging trade union membership seems to be against a general Tory outlook, but I want to know what these campaigns will involve, the form the campaigns will take, and the cost.

3. introducing incentives for businesses to invest in capital

I'm currently looking into measures such as loss-carry forwards, which make tax holidaysmore attractive for firms with long gestation periods; reduced taxes on dividends and incomepaid abroad; preferential treatment of long-term capital gains and tax allowances relating to thenumber of employees hired.

It is nice to see loss carryforwards being looked at but loss carryforwards are common practice in accounting procedures to minimise tax bills; I am not convinced the government can do a lot to help there. But the query is not answered, capital is machinery, I do not see how reducing taxes on dividends, and tax allowances on employment encourages investment. The goal is contradictory, encouraging employment reduces productivity because firms choose labour to increase output when choosing capital would be more efficient. If the incentives used to increase the demand for labour are larger than the money saved by improvements in productivity from investment, businesses will not invest in improving productivity, the firms will choose to use labour which will lead to a disaster when incentives end, or are reduced.

4. cut Corporation Tax and Capital Gains Tax

That hasn't been decided yet, personally (not speaking on behalf of the government but instead myself) I'd like to see Corporation tax cut to 15% and have CGT scrapped. This is still being discussed though I can tell you now that there will definitely be cuts to both.

I do not like being told there will be cuts but not being told how large the cuts will be, nor the areas of taxation the cuts will be made to.

5. Investing in education and training

This ties into my plans to get anyone under 25 who's been unemployed for 12+months at least a level 2 qualification. This will be done alongside the voluntary national service scheme whereby anyone who isn't qualified at all to do any national service will then have to take compulsory lessons to get a level 2 qualification or higher. This will cost money and is the reason for investment being needed.

This will cost a lot of money for little in return, there is no value in throwing money at a national service scheme where individuals not doing the national service scheme receive training to a weak level 2 standard. There needs to be detail about what qualifications individual will receive because there is a risk qualifications Britain does not need will be handed out to meet an arbitrary target: I would like a rough figure of the cost of this.

6. a greater focus on skills based apprenticeships

Skills based apprenticeships provide young people a valuable experience and education relating to the skills that they are learning. Apprenticeships in areas like engineering and construction are especially productive and higher paying so I'll be focusing government campaigns to get people into apprenticeships on those specific areas. Not only that but there is a clear divide between the wages of male and female apprentices, this is because male apprentices tend to go into the more productive, higher paying positions like the ones aforementioned whereas female apprentices tend to go into service based or admin based apprenticeships, so I'll be actively encouraging more women to get into skills based apprenticeships putting more government funding into those and taking it away from admin based apprenticeships (for which, an apprenticeship isn't necessary at all).

I want to know how apprenticeships will be encouraged, who is funding the apprenticeships, and what plans there are to increase the number of apprenticeships available.

7. major education reform

I'm trying to achieve a more targeted education system, like the tripartite system we had previously. I'd like to see more grammar schools, and more technical colleges, and that's what I'm working towards.

TSR has passed laws to reintroduce grammar schools which limits reform the government can achiever here, however, I want to know what the new system is going to look like, comparing it to a system 40 years ago does not help.

9. introduce voluntary national service

Anyone under 25 who has been unemployed at least a year can go to the job center and apply for the scheme. They will then be offered a list of public sector vacancies that they are qualified to do, and they will choose the position that fits them best. Should they not be qualified for anything they will then have to study for at least a level 2 qualification. Once the person has got their place on the scheme, they will have to sign a year contract (the service will consist of three of these), once the person has signed the one year contract they will not be allowed to quit the service unless they have an alternative job. They will be paid the minimum wage and will have at least a 25 hour contract as minimum. They will be building houses, working in the civil service, the police service, the fire brigade, the military and anywhere else in the public sector as long as they are qualified for the job. The budget for this will be about £3bn which will be spent on training, infrastructure and wages.

The scheme is needed because there is a wasted talent in this country, young people who have bright futures but have been unemployed for a significant amount of time meaning that finding a job is extremely difficult. Not to mention that the skills they learn from working in the private sector for 3 years can then be applied to private sector once they have finished.

This schemes is throwing money at the public sector which will end up in the government creating non-jobs to employ every talented individual who joins the scheme at the job centre. The budget of £3bn is arbitrary that does not appear to reflect a need, there is no information what this will be spent on, nor how many unemployed the national service initiative plans to help.

10. free education to get at least a level 2 qualification that will not be voluntary.

The cost for this is included in the £3bn budget for the national service scheme. It will be English, Maths and ICT.

When Britain's biggest industries of the future are in science it is a strange decision to leave science out.

11. the government will be making the UK much more competitive economically

I interpret you lack of response as admission that stating Britain will become more competitive was done at a whim with no thought behind the claim.

12. a range of supply side policies, both interventionist and free market

I interpret the second lack of a response that you have not identified policies that will be used, you have used buzzwords to fill up a report but the statement does not mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    For 11 and 12 I'd given the answers previously and wasn't going to repeat myself. The £3bn budget for the scheme isn't arbitrary, I'm writing up a statement of intent for it at the moment, the budget consists of training costs, wages and infrastructure costs.

We'll be releasing a Trade Union bill soon that I've written up which outlines the turnouts and voting percentages required for a union to take strike action, as well as including a list of the new essential services.

The campaigns that I'm talking about regarding apprenticeships and trade union membership will not cost anymore money because they will be taken from the money that the government already spends on these sorts of campaigns, I'm just changing where they actually happen.

By withdrawing funding from admin and service based apprenticeships and moving it to skills based apprenticeships, that's how I can pay for the greater focus on skills based apprenticeships. Someone does not need to study for a year to learn how to use basic spreadsheets and whatnot, admin based apprenticeships are just a way for employers to get some cheap unproductive labour.

Regarding the incentives for capital investment, there's a lot more that can be done such as Investment allowances and accelerated depreciation which actually cause less revenue leakage than taxholidays. Regional incentives can also be used to kick start investment in more deprived areas, or areas that have previously been neglected.

Whilst I'm aware that grammar schools have been reintroduced, I think that there should be more of them as well as technical colleges.

I'd also like to point out that my decision to have a level 2 qualification in English, Maths and ICT compulsory is because they are very often the minimum standard of qualification to apply for/get a job, I'd also like to state that a level 2 qualification in science isn't really that brilliant and that with a level 2 knowledge one probably won't be working out cold fusion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    For 11 and 12 I'd given the answers previously and wasn't going to repeat myself. The £3bn budget for the scheme isn't arbitrary, I'm writing up a statement of intent for it at the moment, the budget consists of training costs, wages and infrastructure costs.

We'll be releasing a Trade Union bill soon that I've written up which outlines the turnouts and voting percentages required for a union to take strike action, as well as including a list of the new essential services.

The campaigns that I'm talking about regarding apprenticeships and trade union membership will not cost anymore money because they will be taken from the money that the government already spends on these sorts of campaigns, I'm just changing where they actually happen.

By withdrawing funding from admin and service based apprenticeships and moving it to skills based apprenticeships, that's how I can pay for the greater focus on skills based apprenticeships. Someone does not need to study for a year to learn how to use basic spreadsheets and whatnot, admin based apprenticeships are just a way for employers to get some cheap unproductive labour.

Regarding the incentives for capital investment, there's a lot more that can be done such as Investment allowances and accelerated depreciation which actually cause less revenue leakage than taxholidays. Regional incentives can also be used to kick start investment in more deprived areas, or areas that have previously been neglected.

Whilst I'm aware that grammar schools have been reintroduced, I think that there should be more of them as well as technical colleges.

I'd also like to point out that my decision to have a level 2 qualification in English, Maths and ICT compulsory is because they are very often the minimum standard of qualification to apply for/get a job, I'd also like to state that a level 2 qualification in science isn't really that brilliant and that with a level 2 knowledge one probably won't be working out cold fusion.
    No you have not, you have not mentioned any free-market policies, no interventionist policies, and your supply-side policy of investing in human capital is questionable. The £3bn must be arbitrary, the scheme creates a job for all unemployed skilled individuals, and gives training to all unemployed unskilled individuals: the cost of the scheme depends on the unemployment figures, you cannot justify £3bn.

Changing the way apprenticeships work to advertise apprenticeships that do not exist is a bad idea, there needs to be investment in creating apprenticeships before the campaign starts. The increase in minimum wage is reducing the number of apprenticeships available because employers are looking to hire skilled workers that do not need to be trained, there is better productivity in hiring skilled workers than unskilled workers who are less efficient.

I question the purpose of accelerating depreciation when most widely accepted economic models see depreciation as reducing productivity in future periods, reducing output in future periods, and reducing capital in future periods. Those minimum standards should be things all individuals leaving school have, but ICT is the most pointless qualification there is because level 2 ICT is basic IT knowledge for the technology generation, or anyone born after the nineties.

ReputationRep:
    No you have not, you have not mentioned any free-market policies, no interventionist policies, and your supply-side policy of investing in human capital is questionable. The £3bn must be arbitrary, the scheme creates a job for all unemployed skilled individuals, and gives training to all unemployed unskilled individuals: the cost of the scheme depends on the unemployment figures, you cannot justify £3bn.

I have the figures for the long term youth unemployed, and the number of people who do not have a job or hold a level 2 qualification. I also have figures for the number of vacancies in the public sector as well as estimates for the number of jobs created by TSR government infrastructure schemes that are in effect. All will be revealed once I release the full statement of intent which will be in a week or two, maybe 3 depending on what is going on in the sub.

Changing the way apprenticeships work to advertise apprenticeships that do not exist is a bad idea, there needs to be investment in creating apprenticeships before the campaign starts. The increase in minimum wage is reducing the number of apprenticeships available because employers are looking to hire skilled workers that do not need to be trained, there is better productivity in hiring skilled workers than unskilled workers who are less efficient.

Skills based apprenticeships do exist, I'm just creating an emphasis on them, as I've said. The increase in the minimum wage if anything should be a boost to the number of apprenticeships being offered as they can employ someone for a lower wage and provide in house training which results in organic growth which is something that SMEs are actively looking for. I'm taking the emphasis and funding away from the unproductive apprenticeships being offered and placing it where it can be put to best use.

I question the purpose of accelerating depreciation when most widely accepted economic models see depreciation as reducing productivity in future periods, reducing output in future periods, and reducing capital in future periods. Those minimum standards should be things all individuals leaving school have, but ICT is the most pointless qualification there is because level 2 ICT is basic IT knowledge for the technology generation, or anyone born after the nineties.
    If done over a short space of time those long term effects can easily be negated, especially when this policy would be used alongside many others.

The minimum standards at the moment do cover these things, however, previously they did not. There are plenty of people under 25 who do not hold at least a level 2 qualification which has a serious effect when they apply for jobs because, as you said, they are seen as the bare minimum.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If done over a short space of time those long term effects can easily be negated, especially when this policy would be used alongside many others.

The minimum standards at the moment do cover these things, however, previously they did not. There are plenty of people under 25 who do not hold at least a level 2 qualification which has a serious effect when they apply for jobs because, as you said, they are seen as the bare minimum.
    I am sceptical of your sums, at the current rate where 1.5% of the labour force are long-term unemployed, if all were paid the lowest minimum wage at £5.30 the cost would be £3.17bn, but some workers will be paid a higher minimum wage, and the cost of retraining is going to be high; that £3bn seems to be unfounded. It has come to me, there is no reason a trade deficit needs to be sorted, there is a misconception all trade deficits are bad, however, increasing trade deficits are a sign of a stronger GDP, and any downward pressure on the currency from foreigners dumping can benefit the country where there is a link with higher levels of consumer income, more consumer confidence, and investment.

ReputationRep:
    I am sceptical of your sums, at the current rate where 1.5% of the labour force are long-term unemployed, if all were paid the lowest minimum wage at £5.30 the cost would be £3.17bn, but some workers will be paid a higher minimum wage, and the cost of retraining is going to be high; that £3bn seems to be unfounded. It has come to me, there is no reason a trade deficit needs to be sorted, there is a misconception all trade deficits are bad, however, increasing trade deficits are a sign of a stronger GDP, and any downward pressure on the currency from foreigners dumping can benefit the country where there is a link with higher levels of consumer income, more consumer confidence, and investment.
    "The current UK Living Wage is £8.25 an hourThe current London Living Wage is £9.40 an hour"
    http://www.livingwage.org.uk/what-living-wage

"105,000 people aged 16-24 had been unemployed for over 12 monthsat January-March 2016."
    www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05871.pdf

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about closing the gap, that's not too much of an issue, it's about saying "where can we increase trade and improve our economy?" and I think that through increased competitiveness and higher productivity we can increase output and our exports and increase growth here in the UK.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Regarding the incentives for capital investment, there's a lot more that can be done such as Investment allowances and accelerated depreciation which actually cause less revenue leakage than taxholidays. Regional incentives can also be used to kick start investment in more deprived areas, or areas that have previously been neglected. .
    Looks like the usual case of you having no idea what you're talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "The current UK Living Wage is £8.25 an hourThe current London Living Wage is £9.40 an hour"
    http://www.livingwage.org.uk/what-living-wage

"105,000 people aged 16-24 had been unemployed for over 12 monthsat January-March 2016."
    www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05871.pdf

It's not just about closing the gap, that's not too much of an issue, it's about saying "where can we increase trade and improve our economy?" and I think that through increased competitiveness and higher productivity we can increase output and our exports and increase growth here in the UK.
    That costs £1.1bn in wages, the youth who are 25 will be an expense, the administration fees will be an expense, and the jobs that need doing may not need doing, and the education will be an expense. I think the lack of any developed state in the world eliminating youth unemployment by creating non-jobs is evidence the idea is expensive, and impractical. You have not responded to lots of my problems with the plans, there is no need to promote depreciation when an increase in depreciation decreases future productivity. If the government want to increase competitiveness, and productivity, the government should offer competitive advantages to firms in Britain, tinkering with trade union law, and education is not going to change a lot.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.