ReputationRep:
    Getting my dual nationality soon.

I'm out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedwig8)
    please tell me you're joking...
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    I voted out and I don't regret it. Judging by the polls it'll be a victory for us, but I'm quite sceptic considering the polls did not accurately predict the General Election AT ALL. The polls I'll trust are exit polls. Ultimately I think we'll stay (and I think stay will win by quite a margin), but hopefully whatever the result Parliament will make an effort for greater reform with regards to the EU.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    I voted out and I don't regret it. Judging by the polls it'll be a victory for us, but I'm quite sceptic considering the polls did not accurately predict the General Election AT ALL. The polls I'll trust are exit polls. Ultimately I think we'll stay (and I think stay will win by quite a margin), but hopefully whatever the result Parliament will make an effort for greater reform with regards to the EU.
    I'm pretty sure there won't be exit polls in the referendum?

ReputationRep:
    "The EU ****s us all!"

*Gets dual nationality*

You hypocrites.

ReputationRep:
    I'm voting leave, have always said that the EU is failing and that there's no need for Britain to be a member any longer, some quibble that the right to live and work anywhere in the EU is a good idea, however, if we leave, do you really think we're going to have to get 100's of checks just to go to holiday in northern France for a weekend? or that we wont be able to trade whatsoever?

Anyway, if you're still undecided, then please don't take to scaremongering from either side, both are as bad as one another as like every election. Don't take into the BS that the 'leave party' are racist or that the remain party are all clueless etc. both has its pros and cons and I recommend potential voters to vote because they want to, not because they're told to, or swayed by their parents/friends etc. (Hillary comes to mind here, women voting for her just because she's female??? *facepalm*)

ReputationRep:
    Leave the EU.

Don't look for advice on TSR, it's full of loony leftie remainiacs.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4169201
    Do the EU poll here

ReputationRep:
    I'm voting Remain but I have to say I'm not 100% convinced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jory)
    Im voting stay, the leave campaign is a shambles and most people voting leave are doing so from a misguided view that "all the immigrants will **** off home".
    Well you clearly don't know that many leave voters.

What? Is your sampling size 2 people?

No wonder.

(If you ask politely I'll present my arguments, which surprisingly have nothing to do with immigrants. )

(Original post by Kittyboy)
    It's meaningless.
    Hardly.

(Original post by Voi)
    Voting to stay because I want to keep cheap flight prices to Europe. I want to be part of a greater European community. I don't want to be isolated and have lots of red tape to deal with if I do something European, like go to another eu country, health insurance, buy a house, tax etc...

I also don't want to leave because I don't want Europe to become what it was before the eu, fighting, wars and hatred between neighbouring countries

Eu unites and protects us
    Trolling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Well you clearly don't know that many leave voters.

What? Is your sampling size 2 people?

No wonder.

(If you ask politely I'll present my arguments, which surprisingly have nothing to do with immigrants. )

Hardly.

Trolling?
    Sample size is much larger than that dont patronize me and go ahead, the facts for stay will continue to outweigh those for leaving whatever you try to twist but you can try

ReputationRep:
    It's a dereliction of duty as a patriot to get dual nationality. Stand your ****ing ground and keep your British passports you traitorous *****. You should be ashamed Of yourselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jory)
    Sample size is much larger than that dont patronize me and go ahead, the facts for stay will continue to outweigh those for leaving whatever you try to twist but you can try
    Yeah, yeah.

Actually no, it was...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    4!
    Okay, here we go...

1) The UK pays £35 million a day into the EU considering rebate.

2) The UK still pays an excess of ~£24 million a day when considering the EU budget which is spent on the UK.
    The UK doesn't get to decide what this is on, and things commissioned with this money comes with an EU label; propaganda, which is immoral because of the excess the UK pays.

3) The EU Emission Trading Scheme increases the cost of producing energy and steel.
    Energy providers relocate, reducing competition. All leading to high energy prices.
    This has a double effect on the cost of producing steel (so EU ETS increases the cost of producing steel, and the energy used to make the steel.)
    David Cameron's government rejected the idea for a proposal to increase tariffs on Chinese dumped steel, but before this proposal, it was the EU's fault for having the tariff at around 9%, as opposed to the US who has tariffs as high at 250%.

4) The Common Agricultural Policy, a part of the Common External Tariff, slaps a tariff on non-EU (foreign) agricultural goods.
    This drives down competition, and has the unfortunate effect of increasing food prices in the UK.

5) MEPs can't initiate, repeal or amend legislation.

6) No member state of the EU has a representative in the European Commission; a commissioner is not a representative, because it is illegal for a commissioner to work on behalf of a member state, as opposed to the EU. A representative speaks or works on behalf of another member state.

7) The EU has a system of degressive proportionality.

8) If the UK leaves, it is in the EU's interest to continue trading with us because we are the biggest export market for goods for the rest of the EU. Bit silly if you think they'd sacrifice that much money on petty revenge.

I've tried to put it simply; ask for clarification!

Please don't ignore this; please put effort into your reply. (I hate making replies and people ignoring them.)

XcitingStuart TheTechN1304

Both of you make so much of sense. A real joy reading your posts.

I wonder if you're aware of this?

In the past two weeks I've chatted with 3 forum members from the Cayman Islands. 3 of them were very polite, cordial and helpful with many of my queries that I had. It is a huge contrast to what I normally have to deal with.

Anyhow, the discussions then bordered on politics and the situation in UK. All 3 said they would not want to be a part of UK or have anything to do with it. And I asked why and they shared with me so many of their country's policies which makes perfect sense and I asked myself why it isn't being replicated in the UK.

Cayman Islands has a population of just under 60,000. It is a British Overseas Territory. It's annual GDP hovers around the $3 billion range.

Now here's where it gets interesting and I'm quoting from wikipedia under the 'Labour' section.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayman_Islands

To work in the Cayman Islands as a non-citizen, a work permit is required. This involves passing a police background check and a health check. A prospective immigrant worker will not be granted a permit unless certain medical conditions are present which include testing negative for syphilis orHIV.

A permit may be granted to individuals on special work.A foreigner must first have a job to move to the Cayman Islands. The employer applies and pays for the work permit. Work permits are not granted to foreigners who are in the Cayman Islands (unless it is a renewal). The Cayman Islands Immigration Department requires foreigners to remain out of the country until their work permit has been approved.

I'm going to pitch a tent here while I wait for any of the Remainians on here, who can conjure up a reply to this.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, yeah.

Actually no, it was...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    4!
    Okay, here we go...

1) The UK pays £35 million a day into the EU considering rebate.

2) The UK still pays an excess of ~£24 million a day when considering the EU budget which is spent on the UK.
    The UK doesn't get to decide what this is on, and things commissioned with this money comes with an EU label; propaganda, which is immoral because of the excess the UK pays.

3) increases the cost of producing energy and steel.
    Energy providers relocate, reducing competition. All leading to high energy prices.
    This has a double effect on the cost of producing steel (so EU ETS increases the cost of producing steel, and the energy used to make the steel.)
    David Cameron's government rejected the idea for a proposal to increase tariffs on Chinese dumped steel, but before this proposal, it was the EU's fault for having the tariff at around 9%, as opposed to the US who has tariffs as high at 250%.

4) a part of the slaps a tariff on non-EU (foreign) agricultural goods.
    This drives down competition, and has the unfortunate effect of increasing food prices in the UK.

5) MEPs can't initiate, repeal or amend legislation.

6) No member state of the EU has a representative in the European Commission; a commissioner is not a representative, because it is illegal for a commissioner to work on behalf of a member state, as opposed to the EU. A representative speaks or works on behalf of another member state.

7) The EU has a system of degressive proportionality.

8) If the UK leaves, it is in the EU's interest to continue trading with us because we are the biggest export market for goods for the rest of the EU. Bit silly if you think they'd sacrifice that much money on petty revenge.

Please don't ignore this; please put effort into your reply. (I hate making replies and people ignoring them.)

About 3.5 million jobs will be lost if we leave the EU.EU membership costs around 37p a day, per person. In regards to 8) yeah they would but the time and money spent making this legislation which would be the exact same as it was in the first place (maybe slightly worse off for Britain, would be logistically stupid
    And MEP's have the power to amend or reject all/any EU legislation so i have no idea where that came from
    Degressive proportionality is somewhat similar to the Senate in the US, smaller states still need representation, and its not necessarily a bad thing. Also its the same for wales scotland and NI, they all have more seats per capita than england does.
    If they did it proportionally per 70k people which is how its usually done, in UK and in Malta, there would be over 7000 seats. Is that really a positive?
    6) okay so you're saying that commissioners arent representatives but we should be having representatives in there? okay? the commission is more to manage the EU and can only propose legislation, are you proposing Britain should control this?
    4) source? also i accidently deleted the legislation name but im sure its the one that protects farmers, and protects the EU from fluctuating imports
    3) its generally cheaper to import, such as coal this was seen as early as when thatcher closed down the mines and its due to the structural changes in UK and its workforce, this would continue regardless of EU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jory)
    About 3.5 million jobs will be lost if we leave the EU.EU membership costs around 37p a day, per person. In regards to 8) yeah they would but the time and money spent making this legislation which would be the exact same as it was in the first place (maybe slightly worse off for Britain, would be logistically stupid
    And MEP's have the power to amend or reject all/any EU legislation so i have no idea where that came from
    Degressive proportionality is somewhat similar to the Senate in the US, smaller states still need representation, and its not necessarily a bad thing. Also its the same for wales scotland and NI, they all have more seats per capita than england does.
    If they did it proportionally per 70k people which is how its usually done, in UK and in Malta, there would be over 7000 seats. Is that really a positive?
    6) okay so you're saying that commissioners arent representatives but we should be having representatives in there? okay? the commission is more to manage the EU and can only propose legislation, are you proposing Britain should control this?
    4) source? also i accidently deleted the legislation name but im sure its the one that protects farmers, and protects the EU from fluctuating imports
    3) its generally cheaper to import, such as coal this was seen as early as when thatcher closed down the mines and its due to the structural changes in UK and its workforce, this would continue regardless of EU
    I'll reply later or tomorrow; gotta go.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    "The EU ****s us all!"

*Gets dual nationality*

You hypocrites.
    Nah it's gonna happen anyway, that we stay, So might as well protect yourself and get smart around it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, yeah.

The EU don't have to give us anything. The EU could put in rules that limit selling of service like finance from firms outside the EU into the EU. Firms like JP Morgan would have to relocate to the EU from London to stay in business within the EU and make the UK poorer.

Similarly, the EU could put tariffs on car exports from the UK so encouraging car makers like Toyota who exports most of their cars to the EU to relocate into the EU so making the UK even poorer and less significant.

I can't wait until this referendum is over so the world can stop being obsessed with it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.