Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I enjoy writing essays, should i begin charging for my work? Watch

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by clairebryant)
    Well, what I can tell from my own experience, it is not very easy to write an essay on your own. It is great that you can do that and you really like it. It is always good to have a friend who can help you with an essay for free. But the thing is he is not a professional, right? so better ask for some help online services. They do such work every day. Poor they XD
    Once I was ordering a written assignment online in a service called 'supreme essay' or something like this. They did their job in time. And my professor was satisfied.
    Which is cheating and if you are ever found out you will be suspended and probably thrown off your degree. I'm not naive, but that's the risk you take.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Frank87)
    Where does cheating start and stop? If someone does their own library research and gather materials, then seek help from me in typing, proofreading and citing, is that cheating?
    Yep.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi, actually after I posted this thread almost 20 students have inboxed me seeking my essay writing guidance. sadly I have turned down several of them because they were not giving me genuine reasons. Others just wanted me to do their homework for them, of which, I told them its taking advantage of a genuinely helpful TSR family member. Secondly, the money aspect is very tempting. Part of me wants to start this as a side job, while the other wants it to remain as a helpful hobby.
    Theres nothing wrong in charging for your effort, just dont kid yourself as to what you are doing. If you think your assistance is merely helpful and administrative, then you should list your assistance or get approval from the Unis concerned as to whether they classify you as a legitimate service. You would have nothing to hide.

My impression was you were offering more than proofing, This is why you would be getting £££ In which case when the student submits it as their own work and declares it to be so, then they are commiting a fraud. You would be assisting them to do so.

If you want an idea of what to offer, then why not look at the websites or try signing up for a bit till you get a feel how such services work?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Yep.
    Call a spade a spade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Theres nothing wrong in charging for your effort, just dont kid yourself as to what you are doing. If you think your assistance is merely helpful and administrative, then you should list your assistance or get approval from the Unis concerned as to whether they classify you as a legitimate service. You would have nothing to hide.

My impression was you were offering more than proofing, This is why you would be getting £££ In which case when the student submits it as their own work and declares it to be so, then they are commiting a fraud. You would be assisting them to do so.

If you want an idea of what to offer, then why not look at the websites or try signing up for a bit till you get a feel how such services work?
    Wow, that's absolutely straight and on point!!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Frank its not for me to tel you yes or no, there are obviously big services out there and thousands of students using them. Its your choice whether you want to partake or not, but I was just anwering your question in the OP. Interesting moral dilemma or not.

You might be able to take it back a little and offer proofing, which could be spelling and grammar plus correct referencing. Lots of secretaries offer this. Im not sure how departments sit with that.

Alternatively if you are good at writing essays , then why not some private tutoring? The bit where it becomes suspect is where the student produces some work and your input becomes their essay? I'd think you could find a medium where you were teaching about the subject, even about some of the essay, but without it being detected.

If you are that good then you could do GCSE and A levels. Think I will try and take a note from Rays book and keep answers brief....

Hi, actually after I posted this thread almost 20 students have inboxed me seeking my essay writing guidance. sadly I have turned down several of them because they were not giving me genuine reasons. Others just wanted me to do their homework for them, of which, I told them its taking advantage of a genuinely helpful TSR family member. Secondly, the money aspect is very tempting. Part of me wants to start this as a side job, while the other wants it to remain as a helpful hobby.

All in all, it is down to you

If you want to go ahead and charge people for your service then, there is no one stopping you.

Edit: there are also other services that will provide you with an essay providing you pay but there are some websites like Marked by teachers which allows you to view thousands of essays a month providing you pay £6.99 subscription. This is a huge bargain for many like myself, especially since, some essays are marked by professional teachers.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Again if you use a site like that and dont credit it in your references, then if you ever got caught that would be counted as cheating. Be careful how you use it.

ReputationRep:
    I can type 3000 words in less than a day. My friends ask me to help them prepare their essays( they research on them first, of course). I only compile and edit the work. Does that make it unethical practice? Should I charge them?
    I think you should charge them! You can go to this site to know the prices for essay writing: https://writemyessayonline.com/. Or if they won't like to pay you they can use any of those services like that for money on their own.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.