Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyamlim97)
    Maths would definitely be good to open up your options. How about doing a 4th subject, another science -physics, chem or bio.

Maths, Physics, Computer science, Thinking Skills(AS only)

Plan to study physics at uni, Going to apply soon to oxford and other universities.
    Thinking skills, do you mean critical thinking? Because that's ****ing useless. Literally no decent uni will accept it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do maths if you don't like it - you will absolutely detest it at A-Level and won't do as well in it and you'll just basically wish you were anywhere but doing maths.

I should know - I made the mistake of choosing chemistry when I KNEW I hated it at GCSE

I'm doing biology, Chemistry, Maths and History btw - in case you have any questions regarding them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    GCSEs exams are over for me, now it's time to actually worry about my A level choices. you'll probably see this thread throughout summer now :hoppy: because i'll probably be going back and forth with my choices cos im that indecisive.

During my sixth form interview, i was told that they won't be running french...so i'm now stuck as to what i should choose for my 3rd a level.

I'm definite on history and geography.
    I have no idea what i want to do in uni, so keeping my choices open. I originally planned on doing all arts a levels, but thought i should maybe just throw in one STEM - maths. i know i already i have 2 facilitating subjects - his. and geo. so should i choose a softer subject like gov+politics?
    I got A* at maths gcse, but maths make me panic a lot especially seeing all these new symbols and sin cos log etc is used a lot more and knowing how to work a calculator also gives me a headache

what's your take?

and what did you choose at A level and what's your plan for uni?
    I chose Maths, Politics, History and Biology! Have dropped Biology and carrying on with the rest. Also taking up AS FM, beginning in Sept.

Will be applying for economics and politics joint honours

Let me know if you have any questions about these A-levels!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    Don't do maths if you don't like it - you will absolutely detest it at A-Level and won't do as well in it and you'll just basically wish you were anywhere but doing maths.

I should know - I made the mistake of choosing chemistry when I KNEW I hated it at GCSE

I'm doing biology, Chemistry, Maths and History btw - in case you have any questions regarding them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I chose Maths, Politics, History and Biology! Have dropped Biology and carrying on with the rest. Also taking up AS FM, beginning in Sept.

Will be applying for economics and politics joint honours

Let me know if you have any questions about these A-levels!
    what was your approach to learning maths concepts? differientation and some other new concepts that wasnt at gcse etc, did you learn it through practising questions, listening to your teachers explanation, read about it or another way? im trying to gather how people tackle maths to see if im capable
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    I pretty much just used past papers and looked at how to answer them properly if I failed, I would ask a teacher if I couldn't understand it at all. One question I got completely wrong with about 10 lines of workings, teacher showed me how to do it in less than 5.
    the way people revise for maths seem so laid back! it's really tempting :hoppy: did you at any point feel like you want to give up? what was the most difficult concept for you so far and how many times did you have to go over it?

ReputationRep:
    what was your approach to learning maths concepts? differientation and some other new concepts that wasnt at gcse etc, did you learn it through practising questions, listening to your teachers explanation, read about it or another way? im trying to gather how people tackle maths to see if im capable
    I just asked questions and did as much practice as possible!

I remember differentiating for the first time ever, and I had literally no clue what to do! It all clicks though, as long as you put the work in and are determined to do well - you will do well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    the way people revise for maths seem so laid back! it's really tempting :hoppy: did you at any point feel like you want to give up? what was the most difficult concept for you so far and how many times did you have to go over it?
    I didn't get show that blank = blank questions where you turned an equation into some natural log one till a week before the C2 exam.

Maths was a bit awkward for me to revise because I understood pretty much all the concepts but in AS early on I was bad with advanced questions like exam ones. Really a lot of my revision was past papers and you can't exactly do past papers all the time.

I was quite lazy early on in AS so I didn't ask for help so much. Make sure you ask a teacher for help if you don't understand something because they will explain better than pretty much any textbook or guide you will read (unless they're a **** teacher).

ReputationRep:
    I did Further Maths at GCSE so a lot of it wasn't new to me but stuff like logs etc that was new to me I just understood straight away after the teacher had explained it - there were always tricky ones but I just attempted them then went and asked a teacher if I didn't get it.

Word of advice - you mentioned you panic at the sight of the maths questions - the girl who sits next to me in maths is exactly the same - completely panics.

She's currently getting U's.

And she works incredibly hard and goes to private tuiton and does everything but she never seems to get it - for some reason she gets basic things wrong - so yeah, just thought I'd let you know about her, there are lots of people like that who just end up dropping the subject altogether.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I just asked questions and did as much practice as possible!

I remember differentiating for the first time ever, and I had literally no clue what to do! It all clicks though, as long as you put the work in and are determined to do well - you will do well.
    oh good, that's my initial thought, i kind of understand differientation but from first principles got me stuck a little with all these h's and f(x) in this long expression did you find that your essay subjects like history got in the way of maths?

(Original post by Vikingninja)
    I didn't get show that blank = blank questions where you turned an equation into some natural log one till a week before the C2 exam.

Maths was a bit awkward for me to revise because I understood pretty much all the concepts but in AS early on I was bad with advanced questions like exam ones. Really a lot of my revision was past papers and you can't exactly do past papers all the time.

I was quite lazy early on in AS so I didn't ask for help so much.
    maths is so awkward i agree, i tried to read through revision notes and stuff like i would with history and it felt so weird, it felt more natural revising maths with past papers
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    oh good, that's my initial thought, i kind of understand differientation but from first principles got me stuck a little with all these h's and f(x) in this long expression did you find that your essay subjects like history got in the way of maths?

maths is so awkward i agree, i tried to read through revision notes and stuff like i would with history and it felt so weird, it felt more natural revising maths with past papers
    I never used my notes or knowledge stuff in the textbook, pretty much just revised everything I needed to know by practicing it.

ReputationRep:
    Also, something else I forgot to mention - do you actually enjoy maths and find the topics interesting? If not, maths will be incredibly dull for you - it's literally just past paper after past paper after past paper endlessly until exams are over - and maybe sometimes,questions by topic taken from past papers

It's not like the sciences or history at all where there's loads of content to enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you apply the principles in the same way! If your expression is say y=2h^2, you still use dy/dx but it's now dy/dh! Always also make sure that each bit is in ax^n form!

I did find the essay subjects got in the way with maths, however it's manageable. You just have to strict in your approach, something I wasn't to begin with haha!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    I did Further Maths at GCSE so a lot of it wasn't new to me but stuff like logs etc that was new to me I just understood straight away after the teacher had explained it - there were always tricky ones but I just attempted them then went and asked a teacher if I didn't get it.

Word of advice - you mentioned you panic at the sight of the maths questions - the girl who sits next to me in maths is exactly the same - completely panics.

She's currently getting U's.

And she works incredibly hard and goes to private tuiton and does everything but she never seems to get it - for some reason she gets basic things wrong - so yeah, just thought I'd let you know about her, there are lots of people like that who just end up dropping the subject altogether.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i'll take that into considering, i wouldnt say im in the same situation as her, i'll panic during the learning part, but in exams i always do manage to stay collected, and at worse i will always make educated guesses from what ive learnt. im just shocked at the step up from gcse. gcse is like primary maths considered to a levels honestly from my perspective, it's like a jump from earth to moon
    tbh I dont hate maths or love it, it's in between, i just think that maths would be a ''nice'' break from content based subjects like history. but what i love is when concepts click. the satisfaction i get with maths is that you're either right or wrong unlike subjects like literature where it's subjective, so you feel like ''job well done'' while doing the exam, i was writing BS on my literature hoping the examiner likes it despite tons of revision for it

Just make sure you apply the principles in the same way! If your expression is say y=2h^2, you still use dy/dx but it's now dy/dh! Always also make sure that each bit is in ax^n form!

I did find the essay subjects got in the way with maths, however it's manageable. You just have to strict in your approach, something I wasn't to begin with haha!
    the jump is super scary, that's why im so set back from the idea of taking it, the step up course literally scared me away from maths because during the step up course no one really took it seriously cos it was after our exams, my teacher was going on pregnancy leave so it was really chillax and i didnt really feel like asking so i just sat there panicking. i panic when i dont understand something cos it keeps me up at night :rofl: which was why i went on hegarty maths and taught myself differientation xD i mean is that an ok mindset? have to understand something before i put everything else at rest ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for your time in answer my questions :hoppy: have you got any starting point for self teaching C1 this summer? im determined to hurdle over maths until the day i actually have to choose my subjects. I got the syllabus, now what?
    hmm, I'd say go over the syllabus and pick out things you're not sure about. find some youtube videos that break down the C1 chapters (particularly with learning new skills like integration and differentiation). and lots of past papers. it'll be difficult to learn yourself, particularly without a C1 textbook, but you can get a good way into it at least. when you find yourself stuck on a past paper question, find out how to do it (try here). good luck! if you need any help with C1 I'd be happy to help with questions you find

ReputationRep:
    History, Geography, Economics, Chemistry for me. Wanted to do a degree/career in social sciences, and loved the subjects. As for chemistry, I loved the subject and it interested me.

I made it work - AAAA on track for A*A*A with A* in EPQ (dropped chem). Hopefully I'll meet my offers ;(

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the jump is super scary, that's why im so set back from the idea of taking it, the step up course literally scared me away from maths because during the step up course no one really took it seriously cos it was after our exams, my teacher was going on pregnancy leave so it was really chillax and i didnt really feel like asking so i just sat there panicking. i panic when i dont understand something cos it keeps me up at night :rofl: which was why i went on hegarty maths and taught myself differientation xD i mean is that an ok mindset? have to understand something before i put everything else at rest ?
    Don't worry about it!

I went to a few add maths classes and had no idea what was going on, and then dropped out - things will definitely improve!

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what you like! Personally, I would say don't choose maths since you said it can make you feel extra stressed, but you can always choose it and change to another subject within the first month. I initially chose law thinking I would LOVE it, within just 3 weeks I knew I hated it and my college let me change to psychology, which I didn't regret one bit! It's such a shame your college isn't offering French, although it's super challenging and hard to get a top grade in, it is really rewarding
    I do French, philosophy and psychology and did English language & literature at AS - which was a really good course that maybe you could consider if your college offers it?
    Good luck and remember, you can always change if you're feeling uncomfortable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Thinking skills, do you mean critical thinking? Because that's ****ing useless. Literally no decent uni will accept it.
    CIE calls it thinking skills. Yeah i know, school makes everyone do it or do general paper. Its doesnt really matter tho coz i have 3 A levels.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your amazing break down of subjects, i am currently considering maths as i've looked up many interesting courses that required it i do not mind history essays, i actually love them...if given enough time :rofl:
    Of course if you enjoy writing history essays then go for it! Just bear in mind that with any subject the level of depth required at A level is a big step up from GCSE. An A* in English GCSE would not equate to a C at A level English.

Mind me asking what kind of history you're most interested in/what your school will teach you about?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I'm completely defeating the purpose of this thread

But, I wanted to take up geography for a-level, however I didn't take it as a GCSE. The college I want to go to says you only need B in geography or a science to take it so will my lack of geographical knowledge hinder me in any way? Should I maybe start revising some stuff in the summer (will be doing this for maths anyway:emo: )

Or maybe I should stick to my first choice which was Economics?

Geography of Economics? My other A-level choices are Maths,Chem and Physics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.