Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    I want to do History, English Literature, Economics and Government and Politics.

Are these good choices? My parents seem to think they are useless subjects and I should choose Maths and Science instead as they will get me somewhere in life. I want to do a Law degree and don't like Maths and Science.

I have picked exactly the same subject options but instead of economics I have decided to do Sociology. These options are fine if you want to do Law but to do law in good universities you need to research what they want apart from good grades as a friend of mine was telling me how unis like Durham and Oxford want quite a few things but I don't really know any details...sorry. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I also want to do a law degree/PPE and I have chosen: Philosophy, Maths, Economics, Psychology (we had to pick a fourth and i'll most likely drop it immediately) and the EPQ. Are mine good? (sorry OP for stealing your thread sorta )
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    I also want to do a law degree/PPE and I have chosen: Philosophy, Maths, Economics, Psychology (we had to pick a fourth and i'll most likely drop it immediately) and the EPQ. Are mine good? (sorry OP for stealing your thread sorta )
    Yes.

(but you're right in suspecting you'd be better starting your own thread )
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by FollowThisGuy)
    I'm sorry if my opinion offends you? but this is a public thread and so some feedback isn't going to be as naïve and say "yeah go ahead and become a lawyer" without thinking about future consequences, like not being able to obtain a job due to low demand and high concentration in the law profession.
    All opinions are worth considering whether or not you appreciate it is up to you. Personally, I am not trying to offend the Thread starter but provide constructive criticism. It may not be as optimistic as some of the other posts on the thread but I would bet it will still be useful In some sense to them.
    You can't really say whether OP has what it takes to get a training contract or a grad job though; they haven't given any information that would lead you to that conclusion.

Additionally, simply doing a Law degree doesn't dictate where OP would end up and it has ultimately very little to do with landing grad jobs - as 70-80% of them are degree agnostic.

OP, I'd really sit down and think about what subjects you enjoy and why. Then try to match those up with whatever degree best fits the description of why you enjoy your subjects. You don't need to do law to become a lawyer, just as you don't need to do business or maths or whatever to go into finance.

Degree choice, IMO, should be completely about what you'd enjoy studying (by extension what you'd do well in) for 3-4 years rather than grad prospects because ultimately (caveat: outside of engineering, architecture, medicine blah blah blah), grad prospects are about your nonacademic attributes.

And yes, that combo is fine for Law but don't restrict yourself to that as a deferral to 'yet another "respected' degree', you're going to have to have a strong reason to put yourself through 3 years of undergrad law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    I want to do History, English Literature, Economics and Government and Politics.

Are these good choices? My parents seem to think they are useless subjects and I should choose Maths and Science instead as they will get me somewhere in life. I want to do a Law degree and don't like Maths and Science.
    These choices are great, they complement each other and there's a lot of cross over with all 3 - especially with economics and politics. I did English lit, economics and politics (dropped eco after AS) but there's so much overlap, it was really enjoyable and I loved all these subjects.

Yes these are good choices. Don't do subjects you don't like. Politics is NOT a requirement for a Law degree - the LNAT is required.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.