Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coopiesugar)
    I'm planning on applying to study English in 2005 (unless I fail all of my AS-Levels! Argh: results time getting closer!). I didn't do too badly with my GCSEs overall (3 A*s and 7 As), but I didn't get an A* in English Language. They'll probably ask me about it in the interview, right? If so, what do I say? To be honest, I thought I would get the A*, and think I was predicted to get it. The coursework wouldn't have let me down either, but I don't have a valid excuse like, "My pet giraffe had the sniffles, and I was upset about it during the exam" (such an overused excuse nowadays, don't you think?).
    Has anybody else had to excuse themselves for not getting the right grade and if so, what did you say? Anyone hoping to do English, or are already? Is it horribly, terribly, disgustingly difficult??
    Bye for now, Katie x :rolleyes:
    Don't worry about it, I got an A at GCSE english language, and didn't even take english lit, but hold a deferred offer from cambridge for next year. I was't asked about anything exam related, they focused on the essays I'd submitted, my set-texts and a poem. Just concentrate on reading, and your responses to the things you've read. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Winorlose: just noticed your little "eats, shoots and leaves" 'signature' (is that what it's called? I'm not sure, so don't all laugh at me if I'm wrong!) Have you read Lynne Truss' book of the same name? I take it you have. I read it a few months back, and at the time it really struck a cord with me (how sad am I?). I'm not exactly perfect with my own punctuation, but I know how much it irritates me when people who shouldn't get it wrong do (I hope you're taking notice, Wellington Weekly News!). What did you, or anyone else who's read it, think?

(Original post by coopiesugar)
    Hey Winorlose: just noticed your little "eats, shoots and leaves" 'signature' (is that what it's called? I'm not sure, so don't all laugh at me if I'm wrong!) Have you read Lynne Truss' book of the same name? I take it you have. I read it a few months back, and at the time it really struck a cord with me (how sad am I?). I'm not exactly perfect with my own punctuation, but I know how much it irritates me when people who shouldn't get it wrong do (I hope you're taking notice, Wellington Weekly News!). What did you, or anyone else who's read it, think?
    i got it for xmas, i thought it was alright but not brilliant.. It was ok to read the 1st time round but i sold it instead of keeping it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it isn't the sort of book you read over and over again, but I think it's definitely worth reading once. I found it witty and, like I said, it was nice to know someone else agrees with me about the punctuation thing. I got it from the library, so I didn't need to sell mine afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Bah! Give me Strunk and White any day.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.