Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vote of No Confidence in the Government Watch

• View Poll Results: This House has no confidence in the Government.
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    44.00%
    On the contrary, No
    50.00%
    Abstain
    6.00%

ReputationRep:
    Evidently a power grab- Nay
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The crisis was a joke with your response written by a biased nationalist. We were right not to respond to such stupidity and your rep should have moderated the reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    LP's response to the MoNC was a mixed bag. I am glad that he admitted his mistakes but he decided to then go on a rant about Labour and other issues, instead of telling people how he plans to address the issues raised in the MoNC.

It is very poor that the Government have only started to produce more legislation after this MoNC was put out. Whether or not you agree with bills produced by other parties is up to you but when other parties, even small ones, have produced more legislation than both the Government parties, something is wrong. Therefore, your exam excuse isn't valid as other parties have succeeded where the Government has failed.

Even if you feel you can justify only producing 2 bills before the MoNC, the Government's response to the crisis plunged the country into a civil war and we are still yet to see any sign of a Budget.

Your post is almost as facetious as the response by LP with your petty attacks.
    You're like a broken record… :rolleyes: Illogical, unreasonable, silly, unjustifiable, and I could continue, but it's not worth it.

You're already out so you can claim whatever nonsense your ‘special’ brain thinks of but I practically guarantee you that if we switch sides again, your party will eventually find itself in the same situation and then all the arguments will be reversed. You will be faced with a crisis committee that will give you a ‘plausible’ scenario of a holy war against the UK justified by the same development in the 11th century, or an epidemic with ‘plausible’ consequences because that's what happened in the 14th century and the population is getting resistant to antibiotics! All this will be decided without any random input and by a few individuals behind closed doors at best.

Recall how long it took the previous Labour-led governments to produce a budget or something that at least resembled it, how many mundane bills you released, how brief your leadership was, how you need to keep replacing inactive MPs like socks in order to not lose the seats, how your voting robots just post ‘aye’ or ‘no’, or just vote and say nothing, etc.

Recall the words of your dear mate in reaction to my MoNC about how people have lives and they can't be expected to put the MHoC above all else, or the multiple failures of the previous government, and it wasn't even the summer exam period, but one when most people sit at home because it's bloody cold outside!

Should the fact that we got the chance to form a government precisely when most of us are busy because we are actually studying and earning money disqualify us from playing the game? Are we impairing the function of the House in any way? Are we overall inactive?

How sanctimonious and hypocritical one must be to match your level? Granted, we could have done a lot better but you are either clinically deluded or a shameless invertebrate seeking to exploit the first opportunity at amassing the numbers required for a power grab, and for that you should be ashamed of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    a video representation of this bill and the response to it

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    we are still yet to see any sign of a Budget.
    I'd suggest that you do a bit of research into MHoC history, there have been 4 budgets in about 8 years of this place. The last budget from last term was released about mid-way into it. This government is also the first government in a long time to actually have some economic policy in a really long time (as long as I've been a member at least). You may have been more active than us, but whether or not you command more confidence in the house is another matter entirely.

I'm voting Nay
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I'd suggest that you do a bit of research into MHoC history, there have been 4 budgets in about 8 years of this place. The last budget from last term was released about mid-way into it. This government is also the first government in a long time to actually have some economic policy in a really long time (as long as I've been a member at least). You may have been more active than us, but whether or not you command more confidence in the house is another matter entirely.

I'm voting Nay
    11 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    11 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There we go.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Also, was this the best time to be appointing a rebel as a proxy MP?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I'm voting Nay
    It would be nice to know what this government's economic policy is, being told it exists is not of use to MPs whose job is to hold the government to account. I do not understand your tendency to compare this government with previous governments, previous governments in recent times have all been incompetent with no previous governments in recent times producing a budget, that should not mean this government can be a little less incompetent, this government should aim to be competent. By the Prime Minister's admittance, this government has not been competent, this MoNC would have grounds if there was not an acceptable excuse of exam time; government MPs should stop praising themselves for being better that incompetent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    It would be nice to know what this government's economic policy is, being told it exists is not of use to MPs whose job is to hold the government to account. I do not understand your tendency to compare this government with previous governments, previous governments in recent times have all been incompetent with no previous governments in recent times producing a budget, that should not mean this government can be a little less incompetent, this government should aim to be competent. By the Prime Minister's admittance, this government has not been competent, this MoNC would have grounds if there was not an acceptable excuse of exam time; government MPs should stop praising themselves for being better that incompetent.
    My point was in response of the point that there is yet no sign of a budget, to which i offered a reply. There being no sign of a budget is not ground to have no confidence in the government. I have said that we have not performed in terms of activity which is down to exams as well as other outside factors. What was key in my statement is that there is nothing to suggest that the alternative to the current government will command any greater confidence in the house.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Though initially skeptical I'm disappointed in just how unrepentant the government seems to be - as if exams is suddenly an iron clad excuse for a loss of focus. Perhaps the government should let their deputy government fill in for them for a while. :rolleyes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

I'm voting Nay
    One of those budgets was from our government. Are you saying we didn't have economic policy? Ridiculous. You flatter yourself if you think your meer presence somehow makes an inactive government economically competent.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Just going to stick this surprisingly relevant quote from page 17 of the last MoNC here:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Guys, whether this passes or not, we all know that you suck (incompetent or lazy, doesn't matter, because your earlier predecessors were much better) and whether you choose to admit it or not, I hope you realise this, otherwise you have bigger problems to worry about.

Sometimes things just don't work out and people must suck it up (I mean us, due to how unaware users vote) – fortunately for myself, this only happens here on TSR so it's fairly easy to get over, although admittedly frustrating at times. However, my motivation to play with you in this environment has been on a steady decline and soon to hit the minimum and if I'm not alone, perhaps you should think about how stubborn you really want to be because if other people get tired and leave, you'll have no satisfaction and no opposition, as if playing Monopoly with all the money…
    I'll let people form their own opinion as to how seriously the government takes its role and the game in general in the light of this.

This part of a post on page 15 of said MoNC is also rather relevant considering the defence that has been offered for the government's lack of activity:
    Poor souls, you have lives and families! Contrary to popular belief, we have those too but apparently we must be doing something better because we live personal lives and put some thought into MHoC and represent the party regularly. I'm working on a research proposal, three personal projects, go to school, hang out with other people, and yet I find the time to lead a party, debate, and look for arguments to prove that your Government is subpar. If you can't be productive enough, resign. Take up a minor position appropriate to your time schedule. :dontknow:
    And this given that only 2 bills were put out before this MoNC:
    Fair enough.

As I said in the past, there really is no reason to waste our potential by being more active than the government when they're doing a shoddy job. We're stockpiling so that we're ready to launch a successful government. It isn't the role of the opposition to draft major policies and why would we even want to do that when we don't have enough votes to make sure they pass?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    One of those budgets was our from government. Are you saying we didn't have economic policy? Ridiculous. You flatter yourself if you think your meer presence somehow makes an inactive government economically competent.
    Not so much really. The budget focused on fiscal policy rather than economic policy, I know this because I wrote it.

I haven't been as active as I was before, that much is true, I have a lot on my plate and the few days of activity that I have at the moment I'm attempting to put to use. However, this is about confidence in the government, and I believe that we should command greater confidence in the house than the opposition. In terms of general activity, yes you've been superior, however the quality of output has generally been a let down from all ends of the house. After a little over a month I feel that this vote is very unjust.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I will wait until the final day of voting to see whether the government have their ass in gear

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not so much really. The budget focused on fiscal policy rather than economic policy, I know this because I wrote it.

I haven't been as active as I was before, that much is true, I have a lot on my plate and the few days of activity that I have at the moment I'm attempting to put to use. However, this is about confidence in the government, and I believe that we should command greater confidence in the house than the opposition. In terms of general activity, yes you've been superior, however the quality of output has generally been a let down from all ends of the house. After a little over a month I feel that this vote is very unjust.
    Fiscal policy is economic policy, to state a budget did not focus on economic policy is wrong.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Fiscal policy is economic policy, to state a budget did not focus on economic policy is wrong.
    Fine, it focused on one aspect of economic policy. Rather than offering something holistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Just going to stick this surprisingly relevant quote from page 17 of the last MoNC here:

I'll let people form their own opinion as to how seriously the government takes its role and the game in general in the light of this.

This part of a post on page 15 of said MoNC is also rather relevant considering the defence that has been offered for the government's lack of activity:

And this given that only 2 bills were put out before this MoNC:
    1. After how many months and successive terms in power? You also fail to consider other forms of activity.

2. I'm not claiming there's no hypocrisy in what I'm saying. :dontknow: It's you who refuses to accept that you were in a similar position not long ago, yet here you are, using the same arguments that you refused before.

ReputationRep:
    Fine, it focused on one aspect of economic policy. Rather than offering something holistic.
    You know we have an independent central bank, right?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    You know we have an independent central bank, right?
    Yeh, why?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.