Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    lol no, utterly repugnant Bill which seeks to target the industries where strike action is effective and thus reinforce the incredible power that employers have over employees. The turnout requirements as well are a terrible idea; if you're adding turnout requirements, you should add actual powers for trade unions to sanction members who don't comply with strike action (for instance, fining them).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    lol no, utterly repugnant Bill which seeks to target the industries where strike action is effective and thus reinforce the incredible power that employers have over employees. The turnout requirements as well are a terrible idea; if you're adding turnout requirements, you should add actual powers for trade unions to sanction members who don't comply with strike action (for instance, fining them).
    I would have thought you would want better funded, not worse funded unions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I would have thought you would want better funded, not worse funded unions.
    I don't care how many people are in trade unions. If you don't want the benefits of membership, or it's not worth it for you, that's fine. What I object to is the state limiting the power of trade unions to use legitimate negotiating tactics.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't care how many people are in trade unions. If you don't want the benefits of membership, or it's not worth it for you, that's fine. What I object to is the state limiting the power of trade unions to use legitimate negotiating tactics.
    Implying that the only reason anybody would ever want to be in a union is to strike

ReputationRep:
    Implying that the only reason anybody would ever want to be in a union is to strike
    Not implying that at all. What I'm saying is that people should make individual decisions whether union membership is for them, and I don't care which way they decide.

ReputationRep:
    Well, ideally for everyone we shouldn't have to strike. Collective bargaining is the simple belief that working as a group you achieve more by standing resolute. The only reason to join unions is to defend your working rights when governments and employers try to destroy them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not implying that at all. What I'm saying is that people should make individual decisions whether union membership is for them, and I don't care which way they decide.
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Well, ideally for everyone we shouldn't have to strike. Collective bargaining is the simple belief that working as a group you achieve more by standing resolute. The only reason to join unions is to defend your working rights when governments and employers try to destroy them.
    Except you're basically saying strike or, pay even more to be in the union.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Except you're basically saying strike or, pay even more to be in the union.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Collective bargaining is a part of union membership. Nobody's denying that, and it's an integral one. It's just not the only reason why someone would join a union, but if they don't want to participate, it's something they should be considering before they join the union.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Collective bargaining is a part of union membership. Nobody's denying that, and it's an integral one. It's just not the only reason why someone would join a union, but if they don't want to participate, it's something they should be considering before they join the union.
    The effect of your proposals would likely be reduced union membership. I'm pretty sure all my family are union members, none of them would even consider voting for a strike, let alone go on strike (even if one nearly caused a strike); I doubt any of them would remain union members if they had to pay to not go on strike.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The effect of your proposals would likely be reduced union membership. I'm pretty sure all my family are union members, none of them would even consider voting for a strike, let alone go on strike (even if one nearly caused a strike); I doubt any of them would remain union members if they had to pay to not go on strike.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I don't care about net membership of unions; it is merely good that unions exist.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, I like the idea but there needs to be changes; allowing teachers to strike but not funeral directors is an odd stance, the voting requirement should be 50% of all eligible members who can strike need to vote in favour of striking for the strike to be valid, and giving companies more notice of strikes to give the company more time to work to minimise the impact of striking is needed.

ReputationRep:
    This goes way beyond services which are essential, even in a middle class Waitrose definition. Barnet Council librarians are welcome but we could live with a week long strike at the local library.

Nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay - this Bill is political suicide for the parties proposing it.

The Liberals have shown their true colours here: centrist soul sellers to the Tory proletarian blood-drinkers.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, I like the idea but there needs to be changes; allowing teachers to strike but not funeral directors is an odd stance, the voting requirement should be 50% of all eligible members who can strike need to vote in favour of striking for the strike to be valid, and giving companies more notice of strikes to give the company more time to work to minimise the impact of striking is needed.
    Teachers being missed out was a mistake, I thought it was one of the first things on the list.

I disagree, a trade union is a union and as such the views of all union members must be respected and accounted for, regardless of whether they're eligible to strike or not.

How much time would you suggest is needed? I think 14 working days is sufficient time especially after the mandate to strike has been acquired.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Nay - this Bill is political suicide for the parties proposing it.

The Liberals have shown their true colours here: centrist soul sellers to the Tory proletarian blood-drinkers.

If the ATA wasn't political suicide this really is not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If the ATA wasn't political suicide this really is not.
    Yeah I know but it sounded good.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think the left disagreeing with a bill that limits TUs power to hold industry to ransom isn't that good a thing, especially after the author of the bill has stated previously that he agrees with TUs and wished to encourage membership of them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Teachers being missed out was a mistake, I thought it was one of the first things on the list.

I disagree, a trade union is a union and as such the views of all union members must be respected and accounted for, regardless of whether they're eligible to strike or not.

How much time would you suggest is needed? I think 14 working days is sufficient time especially after the mandate to strike has been acquired.
    I would suggest 28 days, but when strikes have the potential to cause chaos, a strike should not be held with 25% of eligible union members voting to strike, the majority of eligible members should vote to strike to make sure the action chosen is the action mandated by the majority of members eligible to strike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I think the left disagreeing with a bill that limits TUs power to hold industry to ransom isn't that good a thing, especially after the author of the bill has stated previously that he agrees with TUs and wished to encourage membership of them.
    Trade unions cannot hold industry to ransom - that is a laughable misrepresentation, when they merely address an imbalance in bargaining power. See e.g. this: http://personal.lse.ac.uk/manning/work/mimintro.pdf

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.