Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a Muslim friend, so yeah, I'd be totally fine with dating a Muslim person as long as they met my other "standards".

I'm bi though, so... depends on how religious the person is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    That's racist
    It's actually not racist - firstly, Islam is a religion and not a race; secondly, religion is a really important part of people's lives and wanting to share that with the person you love isn't discriminatory, it's just personal preference. Besides, many religions discourage dating someone who doesn't follow the same religion as you.

As a Christian, it's really difficult to not be able to share such a massive part of my life with my whoever I'm dating. God is central to every major life decision I make which makes it pretty damn hard to be understood by and work together with a non-Christian. It's so frustrating that so many atheists just don't get this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariyam Ali)
    You should also know that Hindus and Sikhs are far more conservative as compared to the Muslims.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha are you actually serious? Pretty much every single mixed race Muslim I've spoken to/known have said that the non Muslim parent had to convert. I don't know about Sikihism but Hinduism doesn't require conversion to marry a Hindu. Majority of Hindu/Sikh families just want someone who will respect their culture and make the effort to know it.

This is coming from a Hindu as well.

ReputationRep:
    Personally no I wouldn't. No matter how chilled he is as a Muslim, there's always going to be a bunch of conservative family members behind him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariyam Ali)
    You should also know that Hindus and Sikhs are far more conservative as compared to the Muslims.
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha are you actually serious? Pretty much every single mixed race Muslim I've spoken to/known have said that the non Muslim parent had to convert. I don't know about Sikihism but Hinduism doesn't require conversion to marry a Hindu. Majority of Hindu/Sikh families just want someone who will respect their culture and make the effort to know it.

This is coming from a Hindu as well.
    ^Yep, this

Gotta be honest, I Lol'd when I read that " Hindus and Sikhs are far more conservative as compared to the Muslims" :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    ^Yep, this

Gotta be honest, I Lol'd when I read that " Hindus and Sikhs are far more conservative as compared to the Muslims" :lol:
    You know you're living under a rock when you say Hindus are more strict than Muslims with dating lmao. There are plenty of Hindu families out there who allow dating. From what I've seen it doesn't matter how nice a Muslim family is, they'll pretty much always be against dating and more for courtship coz then the devil won't tempt any of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    You didn't mention Hindus or Sikhs. You mentioned Christians and Buddhists which are (in this country anyway) probably the two least conservative religions on average. Ignoring Humanism if you classify that as a religion...I'd argue it's more of a belief.

Incidentally from my own personal experience I would disagree that Hindus and Sikhs are more conservative, but I can't claim to have huge familiarity with either religion.
    Saying this because I come from a Hindu family with non Hindu people who have married in. They're honestly not. Some Hindu families would oppose dating due to cultural reasons but it doesn't require for a person to convert if they want to marry a Hindu/Sikh if we're talking religion.

In Islam, dating in any sense is forbidden and a Muslim man can't marry a woman unless she converts.

Guess which one sounds more chilled?

ReputationRep:
    Saying this because I come from a Hindu family with non Hindu people who have married in. They're honestly not. Some Hindu families would oppose dating due to cultural reasons but it doesn't require for a person to convert if they want to marry a Hindu/Sikh if we're talking religion.

In Islam, dating in any sense is forbidden and a Muslim man can't marry a woman unless she converts.

This was very much my understanding from my experiences and interactions with Sikhs/Hindus in the past, however I'm conscious that one or two people are not necessarily representative of their entire religious belief system so did not want to overstate my knowledge.

I confess I am immediately wary of any religion or sect that requires conversion as part of marriage...

ReputationRep:
    This was very much my understanding from my experiences and interactions with Sikhs/Hindus in the past, however I'm conscious that one or two people are not necessarily representative of their entire religious belief system so did not want to overstate my knowledge.

I confess I am immediately wary of any religion or sect that requires conversion as part of marriage...
    Same tbh. I'd try and bend the rules a bit Or just leave the guy and get a bunch of puppies

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it should matter so long as you have shared values closely aligned with one another.

ReputationRep:
    Same tbh. I'd try and bend the rules a bit Or just leave the guy and get a bunch of puppies
    Puppies are pretty great.

Of course I do find it a difficult one. For all that I cited that Christianity is typically these days in the UK a quite relaxed and non-conservative religion, it isn't always and certainly hasn't been in the past. The actual text of the bible (granted it has assorted versions depending on the particular flavour of Christianity) isn't especially different from the Quran, we just tend to ignore the less...progressive parts and focus on the parts about morals and being a good person. Basically bringing the religion into the 21st century.

Therefore this must be (and is) equally possible for Islam.

As you say though, from a dating perspective they likely have a lot of conservative family behind them. I have friends who are proud feminist Muslims, yet still get bullied by their parents into attending arranged marriage meetings and the like. It's difficult and I suspect it's one of those things that will only improve with time and future generations.

ReputationRep:
    Puppies are pretty great.

Of course I do find it a difficult one. For all that I cited that Christianity is typically these days in the UK a quite relaxed and non-conservative religion, it isn't always and certainly hasn't been in the past. The actual text of the bible (granted it has assorted versions depending on the particular flavour of Christianity) isn't especially different from the Quran, we just tend to ignore the less...progressive parts and focus on the parts about morals and being a good person. Basically bringing the religion into the 21st century.

Therefore this must be (and is) equally possible for Islam.

As you say though, from a dating perspective they likely have a lot of conservative family behind them. I have friends who are proud feminist Muslims, yet still get bullied by their parents into attending arranged marriage meetings and the like. It's difficult and I suspect it's one of those things that will only improve with time and future generations.
    I'd say it's definitely more religion orientated. Even the most modern Muslims can be forced by their parents to do things the Islamic way.

My cousin was in a relationship with this lovely Muslim guy for about 7 years. They had discussed marriage and he said that he wouldn't force her to convert and he would let the kids make their own choice about religion. The family found out and they literally made him cut contact with her and break their relationship off. Their reason was that they didn't want the community to think that they were being haraam.

Sad really. I heard that the guy is married to a Muslim girl and extremely unhappy in the marriage but because of parental pressure he's sticking to it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's definitely more religion orientated. Even the most modern Muslims can be forced by their parents to do things the Islamic way.

My cousin was in a relationship with this lovely Muslim guy for about 7 years. They had discussed marriage and he said that he wouldn't force her to convert and he would let the kids make their own choice about religion. The family found out and they literally made him cut contact with her and break their relationship off. Their reason was that they didn't want the community to think that they were being haraam.

Sad really. I heard that the guy is married to a Muslim girl and extremely unhappy in the marriage but because of parental pressure he's sticking to it.
    That's horrendous. The poor people.

But it's worth keeping in mind that the whole "maintaining appearances" doesn't necessarily need to be down to religion and has often been an issue with the traditional nuclear secular family. Plenty of abuse and horrors have been occurring behind the guise of the perfect happy father, mother and two children.

I do agree though that it, sadly, does appear to be quite a common reality where Islam is concerned around relationships.

ReputationRep:
    some guys really need to man the **** up.
    it is sad.

ReputationRep:

Actually, remembering a discussion I've seen with some Sikhs, Amritdhaari (baptised) Sikhs have to be married to a Sikh, so that would count as them requiring conversion.
    However, the average non-baptised Sikh would be OK with an interfaith marriage providing the Sikh isn't forced to convert (same as Hindus in that respect).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    some guys really need to man the **** up.
    it is sad.
    I know that's what I said. You'd think that if he kept a relationship going for 7 years he would've fought harder or tried walking away from his family but he didn't. End result of listening to his family is that he's married to a girl he has nothing in common with and isn't attracted to at all.

My cousin actually told me never to date a Muslim because of that reason. They're simply too strict.

(Original post by nucdev)
    Actually, remembering a discussion I've seen with some Sikhs, Amritdhaari (baptised) Sikhs have to be married to a Sikh, so that would count as them requiring conversion.
    However, the average non-baptised Sikh would be OK with an interfaith marriage providing the Sikh isn't forced to convert (same as Hindus in that respect).
    Considering how many Sikhs marry white people, I thought it was allowed! My bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shez088)
    Girls would you date a muslim guy... Even if he wasnt too religious etc???
    His character is more important and his fear of God. The rest can be built up as long as he hangs around with the right people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drogon)
    **** off
    Why so hostile?

ReputationRep:

muslim men are actually allowed to marry christians and jews.

ReputationRep:
    That's horrendous. The poor people.

But it's worth keeping in mind that the whole "maintaining appearances" doesn't necessarily need to be down to religion and has often been an issue with the traditional nuclear secular family. Plenty of abuse and horrors have been occurring behind the guise of the perfect happy father, mother and two children.

I do agree though that it, sadly, does appear to be quite a common reality where Islam is concerned around relationships.
    It is down to religion because Islam doesn't allow interfaith marriages (unless the woman's from an Abrahamic religion I think). Considering my cousin is an "idolater", she would've never been a good match in the family's view.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.