The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hehe I'll probably remember that. If it's the date I think it is, it's the day my exams results come out :biggrin:.
Reply 21
Acaila
That seems strange, coming from a philosopher :biggrin:

Depends on what your favourite album is :wink:

"Death? It's like going on holiday with a group of Germans; I'm so depressed I want to weep." / "I'm not really here! I'm not really me! That's me there; that pile of albino mouse droppings."

Ah... Red Dwarf. The high point of the Western Philosophical tradition.
Reply 22
Acaila
Hehe I'll probably remember that. If it's the date I think it is, it's the day my exams results come out :biggrin:.

Don't they come out on the 14th?
Reply 23
19th for AS and A Level. twas the 14th last yr.

cars are not evil! they're amazing little things (except when the heat shields rattle) however i do have to agree that you will get lifts everywhere from your friends. just buy them a congrats card when they pass their tests, and you'll be guaranteed lifts until you decide to take lessons yourself :tongue:
Reply 24
Faboba
Don't they come out on the 14th?

SQA exams are the 10th I think
Reply 25
Oui, c'est le 10th.
Meep! Less than a month to go!
Reply 26
Happy Birthday!
Reply 27
Merci :smile: (I'm assuming your name is from Le Tour Eiffel?)
Reply 28
rts
SQA exams are the 10th I think

Really? Was it the 14th last year?

Hmmmmm....
Reply 29
Yeah I think it was something like that :smile:
Reply 30
Acaila
Yeah I think it was something like that :smile:

Good good. So long as it was the 14th at least one of the years I was waiting on them. Possibly two years ago... that one hurt.
Reply 31
But you still did great :smile:
Reply 32
Acaila
But you still did great :smile:

Bah! A B in Maths I could have taken ( hell a fail in maths would have been justified given how blazé I was about the whole thing ) but... computing? CHEMISTRY?

The two most mindbogglingly simple subjects - excepting, of course, biology - in the Scottish school system I somehow manage to fumble.

( English and French don't count as doing well. I have it on good authority they're just decided on at random )

No m'dear... a B in computing cuts deep.
Reply 33
Supposedly they're two of the three or four hardest subjects to do at Higher :s-smilie:.
But your computing paper was rather nasty going by what I remember from past papers.
Reply 34
Acaila
Supposedly they're two of the three or four hardest subjects to do at Higher :s-smilie:.
But your computing paper was rather nasty going by what I remember from past papers.

Pah!

I won't make the mistake of rating subject I didn't take but of those highers I did the difficulty goes ( highest to lowest )

Maths - Potentially a real bastard. Teaching tends to be rushed towards the end of the year and a lot of slippery questions can be thrown unexpectedly.
French - One of those regrettable subjects where you actually have to... well... know something about the subject.
Physics - Much like maths. A lot of much-harder-than-covered-in-coursework questions worming their way into the final paper. In my experience Electronics is covered to lightly, optics too comprehensively.
History - Not only do you need to have paid attention in class but you need to be able to create a reasonably structured essay for the final exam. Nightmare! :biggrin: ( Easily my favourite )
English - A bit of a pain. Many otherwise intelligent people I know got absolutely reamed in this subject. The essay question seems to be a particular weakness.
Chemistry - Bad luck is bad luck. A straightforward subject nonetheless.
Modern Studies - Hee hee hee. The way the exam is structured you only need to know - in detail - one topic from the first and third parts of the course and have a passing acquaintance with part two.
Computing - The exams can be difficult but this is offset by the fact that there is no real need to do any work during the year.
Biology - All you need is a decently functioning memory to pass with flying colours.
Reply 35
I would say I agree with those. I don't think maths is too bad though.
Reply 36
Acaila
I would say I agree with those. I don't think maths is too bad though.

Hmmmm.... I could never really get my head around how inverse logarithms worked off-calculator which probably contributed to it's rating. I thought I'd got a C. The last thing I did - and I'm almost proud of this - was review questions I'd skipped over which included one of the "draw the graphic of x sin ( yc + z) - where x,y and z are given ) I got as far as drawing the axis when I realised I was too worked up to do it right so wrote beside the question number "for three marks? You must be kidding!"

On one of the standard grades - general maths? - I did a Red Dwarf quote.

"I don't see why you bother cause you'll just go in there and flunk again."
"I'll have you know the last time I only failed by the narrowest of narrow margins"
"You what? You went in there and wrong 'I am a fish' four hundred times, did a funny little dance and fainted."
"That's not true! If you must know I wrote a discourse on porous circuits that was so bold... so groundbreaking that the examiner couldn't accept it."
"Yeah...... you said you were a fish."

I react oddly to stress. My dad just throws up.
Reply 37
I don't think I've written anything to bad in an actual exam.......oh wait....higher geography.....I say nothing :rolleyes:
Reply 38
Acaila
I don't think I've written anything to bad in an actual exam.......oh wait....higher geography.....I say nothing :rolleyes:

Say dammit! Say!

I managed to sneak a Hunter Thompson quote into my history exam too but that doesn't count because it worked well.

Paper II: Appeasement and the Road to War. Talking about the reason Chamberlain bought Hitler's whole "No, we're just trying to restore the faith of the German people, not conquer eastern europe one slavic country at a time" thing.

"...but their loss, and failure, is ours too. What Chamberlain took down with him was that the central illusion of...."

I think that was it anyway. The exam was a bit of a blur but I was rather pleased with what I'd written for both papers.

The quote comes from the brilliant nostalgia monalogue in Fear and Loathing;

"We're all wired into a survival trip now... no more of the speed that filled the 60's. That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling conciousness expansion, without ever giving a thought to the grim meathook realities that were lying in wait for all those people who took him seriously. All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy peace and understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss, and failure, is ours too. What Leary took down with him was that the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create... a generation of permanent cripples, veiled secrets, who never understood the essential old mystic fallacy of the acid culture. The desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel."
Reply 39
{stands and looks blankly} :confused:

Latest