Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    >sane

It's insane to not want to punish these types of immoral, wicked people. You break the law, you lose your human rights.
    Well it is, if you're punishing immoral, wicked people with immoral, wicked and unnecessarily cruel punishment. Nothing separates you from them in this case. There is absolutely nothing in the law or the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that states that your status as a human being depends on you not breaking the law.

ReputationRep:
    For murderers especially depending on the intent, the way they were murdered, amount of cruelty. Like those kidnappers who torture and the person dies. It's technically manslaughter but nah that's ****ed. Serial killers, rapists, they need to be the ones getting death should it be brought back but then with it here you risk people who haven't done so bad things who could be wrongly sent to death. Not even on about those proven innocent afterwards, since that's rare. Just the system playing with people sending em to death willy nilly, definitely could see that happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    What is "hard evidence"? Also you've heard of forced/coerced convictions right?

Incidentally, typically admitting you are guilty in America allows you to serve a life sentence rather than the death penalty. Not that we'd have to exactly follow their model, but it's the closest available to compare.

I like how you completely ignored the point about it being more expensive than life imprisonment and is purely for grim satisfaction.
    Video footage, fingerprints, bodily fluids.

Its not for satisfaction. It's for protecting the public. There are some serial killers who say that they are not remorseful for what they've done and if given the opportunity, they would kill more people. Why on earth would you release them?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Its not for satisfaction. It's for protecting the public. There are some serial killers who say that they are not remorseful for what they've done and if given the opportunity, they would kill more people. Why on earth would you release them?
    You do realise that there's a middle ground between killing someone and releasing them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    You do realise that there's a middle ground between killing someone and releasing them?
    Which is?

ReputationRep:
    Video footage, fingerprints, bodily fluids.

How are the public not protected by locking them up for the rest of their lives? If you have an issue with the length of sentences imposed for crimes, take issue with that. Murdering people isn't a solution.

And there are few to no cases where you can be 100% sure that someone committed a crime, you have to work on the balance of probabilities. The balance of probabilities is not enough reason to kill someone.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is, if you're punishing immoral, wicked people with immoral, wicked and unnecessarily cruel punishment. Nothing separates you from them in this case. There is absolutely nothing in the law or the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that states that your status as a human being depends on you not breaking the law.
    It's neither wicked nor cruel to punish those who contribute nothing to society, murder/rape innocent people and otherwise would be a drain on public money.

It is disgusting that such people are allowed to live. Residing in a comfy prison cell paid by the taxpayer is not 'punishment'.

ReputationRep:
    Which is?
    It's called life imprisonment. You can't hurt anyone while in prison.

I'd have thought it fairly obvious.

ReputationRep:
    How tf is death a punishment anyway. If I killed 5 people I'd rather get killed myself than rot in prison for the next 50 years, get completely institutionalised and then not survive outside the institution if I'm ever let out?

I think it's more of a case of improving the system in other ways

ReputationRep:
    It's neither wicked nor cruel to punish those who contribute nothing to society, murder/rape innocent people and otherwise would be a drain on public money.

It is disgusting that such people are allowed to live. Residing in a comfy prison cell paid by the taxpayer is not 'punishment'.
    Great, are the homeless going to be next in your crosshair? Perhaps single mothers on benefits?

Incidentally, it costs more to apply the death penalty than to give them a comfy prison cell for the rest of their life. So there is zero financial incentive for the taxpayer, it's purely about grim satisfaction and vengeance.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

It is wicked and cruel because you are denying them their most fundamental human right. You are doing to them what you are condemning them for doing. I don't understand why you seem to believe that a disgusting crime suddenly becomes perfectly acceptable when the victim is somebody you don't like. And I do not think that Prison is particularly comfortable. I would not be overly happy if I had to spend the rest of my adult life in one of these supposedly comfortable prison cells. And of course, as others have mentioned, it is more expensive to go through the process of executing someone than it is to keep them in life imprisonment so the point about money really isn't true.

There really isn't much more to say here, this is a fundamental difference in the way that you and I view the world.

ReputationRep:
    How are the public not protected by locking them up for the rest of their lives? If you have an issue with the length of sentences imposed for crimes, take issue with that. Murdering people isn't a solution.

And there are few to no cases where you can be 100% sure that someone committed a crime, you have to work on the balance of probabilities. The balance of probabilities is not enough reason to kill someone.
    Ah so they should just get free accomodation forever instead? Wouldn't that prove to be more expensive?

If there is video footage of someone carrying out the murders along with a guilty plea as well as their saliva/semen/footprints at the scene of the crime, as well as an alibi and eye witness statements then..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuppa)
    How tf is death a punishment anyway. If I killed 5 people I'd rather get killed myself than rot in prison for the next 50 years, get completely institutionalised and then not survive outside the institution if I'm ever let out?

I think it's more of a case of improving the system in other ways
    You wouldn't get 50 years. You'd get about 25 years and even then you'll have the opportunity to be released earlier

ReputationRep:
    Which is?
    Life imprisonment.

ReputationRep:
    No, obviously not. We are not barbarians and should not stoop down to the level of the people we are prosecuting.
    So just rot in jail for all these years, maybe with a chance of getting out, when housing inmates costs money?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 0to100)
    So just rot in jail for all these years, maybe with a chance of getting out, when housing inmates costs money?
    Not entirely sure what point you're trying to make here?

ReputationRep:

When you mention solutions yea murdering is silly to say the least. So are you suggesting rehabilitating them? Because pedos get out of jail...Or just leaving em be in prison forever?

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely sure what point you're trying to make here?
    I'm asking is that what you want as opposed to death sentences.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't get 50 years. You'd get about 25 years and even then you'll have the opportunity to be released earlier
    That's why I'm saying its a case of improving the system, rather than bringing back capital punishment.

I just think a state at no point should have the power to kill a person like that, no matter what they've done.

ReputationRep:
    It is wicked and cruel because you are denying them their most fundamental human right.
    Oh but when they decided to deny innocent people the right of life, isn't that wicked and cruel? I can't believe you pity people who've committed such terrible crimes. They didn't show their victims any mercy, why should mercy be given to them? What about genocide? Prison is more comfortable than dying in a horrific way. Prison is more comfortable than being left to die and then rot and have nobody ever find you. Think of the families.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.