Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I gave a presentation at college, they laughed Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Yesterday as part of my course, I had to give a presentation at college in front of my bullies.
    Now I don't have much confidence and I was shaking before I had to go up and give mine (everyone had to do one).
    Now theirs went fine, mine went well in my head, until they laughed at me
    It hurt me so much that they would do this seeing as they know I don't have any confidence.
    I'm just so hurt by this.
    What can I do?
    Thanks
    Bullies are bullies, they will always try to undermine you.

Just let it bounce off you and don't let it bother you.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    I had experiences like this at sixth form and I still have bad dreams about it, had one just last night and the night before to be honest. I'm twenty eight.

I wish so much I said something to someone about what was going on. By not reporting it to someone higher up I lost my dignity and my grade was compromised and for whatever reason, that still bothers me because it made a massive dent in my self esteem and confidence.

So yeah, I strongly urge you to talk to someone higher up than your teacher who let it happen. I wish I did.
    Aw im sorry to hear that!
    Im sad to hear that you still have dreams about it. That must suck!!!

Tbh so do i! Aw im sure your grade was still excellent though!
    I hope you can recover from this! You seem like a lovely person!

I would do but theres two weeks left and i doubt ill be in much!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Some people in this world are just tosspots.
    They sure are! Im dealing with 8 of the biggest tosspots!

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I'm sure your presentation went fine. They're laughing because they have nothing better to do.
    Just remember that these people are only in your class for a certain number of days, after that they'll forget you and you'll have moved on to some better place :hugs:
    The best way to avoid getting hurt, is your indifference. If you stop caring about them laughing, it won't affect you. Trust me, it works
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Yesterday as part of my course, I had to give a presentation at college in front of my bullies.
    Now I don't have much confidence and I was shaking before I had to go up and give mine (everyone had to do one).
    It hurt me so much that they would do this seeing as they know I don't have any confidence.
    What can I do?
    Thanks
    The hardest thing to do is get up and give the presentation. There will always be haters, and idiots. But presenting is a hard skill and takes practise, much like building confidence.

You just have to ignore what others think (I know this is a hard thing to do) and practise. Most comedians say it took them hundreds of shows to get good at performance and presentations are the same, so don't beat yourself up.

As long as you give everything your best in life, you will learn and get better and before you realise you will be successful and worry less about others.

Those people laughing will be the unsuccessful ones in the long run as they take more pleasure from other failing than they do from their own success!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomStudent890)
    Don't worry I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago... long story short, you just need to carry yourself in a confident manner and not be afraid of what people think of you, that is kind of how I dealt with it.

As for Presentation skills - the only way to improve presentation skills is to keep doing them!!! practice in the mirror, practice in front of your friends and family and you'll be more confident.
    Aw really? Im sorry to hear that!
    Im doing my best but its just exhausting!!
    Thats the problem, i am afraid of what people think of me!

I guess thats true!
    But it wont stop them from laughing though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilycunningham)
    I would have stopped gave them a deadly glarre and said 'whats so funny' and carried on- also they shouldnt bullying you- tell someone
    Hmm well they wouldve just laughed more if i had done that tbh
    It just started out of the blue too!
    Cant, will only make it worse!

ReputationRep:
    What can I do?
    Thanks
    Just take the piss out of them and laugh at yourself a little bit so that they know their comments arnt taken that seriously. I was in the exact same situation as you some women (2 twenty odd year olds and a 40 year old) were always *****ing and smirking at each other every time i spoke out in class, it did wreck my confidence a bit. I tended to eat ham sandwiches and hot chocolate every lunch and they took the piss out of this too saying stuff like 'ham again today katie' then would look znd smirk at each other. One of them told me i had crap hair too. I would just kind of make comments about the sandwiches too and when they struggled with things just said 'well you dont eat enough ham'. One of them said she struggled losing weight and i just blurted out 'get on the ham'. I made myself look like a weirdo and they still *****ed but because i didnt shut up about ham they thought it was pointless making comments to me lol. In fact i should have put a picture of ham on my presentations alongside a pic of a fat woman at the end or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1408)
    The best thing you can do is ignore them and just pretend they're not there. The more they see you unhappy or frustrated the more they want to annoy you.

REMEMBER YOUR HAPPINESS IS THEY'RE WEAKNESS so don't give them what they want
    So don't give up, boost your confidence and just forget about them, the only reason they are doing that is because they're life is full of crap but yours isn't.

And also if this is bothering you a lot then tell someone, a friend, a sibling anyone. Its always best to get it out in the open. than keeping it building up inside you. Just let it all out- this is one way to boost your confidence another way i would suggest is to express yourself openly in places that you are comfortable with- eg your home, at a friends house and then eventually you will become more confident publicly as well.

Hope that helps. Don't give up!
    Its just so hard to do it! Its been going on for 6 months now.

Hmm i suppose it is! I defo dont want to give them what they want!!
    Ill do my best to do that!!
    Well id like to think their lives are crap tbh!

Ive no friend to tell and no one else will listen to me
    Unless the bullies find out!
    I express myself openly here as its the only place i feel comfortable with tbh!

It did help! Thanks!

ReputationRep:

It did help! Thanks!
    If you need to talk! Feel free
    Sorry about what you had to endure.

ReputationRep:
    Aw im sorry to hear that!
    Im sad to hear that you still have dreams about it. That must suck!!!

Tbh so do i! Aw im sure your grade was still excellent though!
    I hope you can recover from this! You seem like a lovely person!

I would do but theres two weeks left and i doubt ill be in much!
    Thanks!
    Glad that you'll see the back of those people in a matter of days. Onwards and upwards.

Just be sure to speak to someone about self esteem and confidence if you feel that would help.

Good luck dude

ReputationRep:
    I've been through that too, I know how it feels. Just try and ignore them as much as you can, keep your head high, remember you're far better than they are.
    The only reason they're doing that to you is because they don't have anything better to do.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Reee normies are cruel

ReputationRep:

It did help! Thanks!
    My sixth form years were like that. I promise you that it's them and not you.

ReputationRep:
    I understand how you feel, there are no words to describe how horrible it is.
    In year 7,8 and 10 I had this science teacher, he would make us do presentations regularly in front of the class and I always dreaded it. Talking in front of many people was bad enough but I had to put up with the immature ***** who would laugh and make stupid comments.
    In the end I just started to ignored them, wasting my time and energy worrying about it was not worth it
    Thank god that's now over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    This is the look i'd give
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hahaha!! Thats brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Bullies are bullies, they will always try to undermine you.

Just let it bounce off you and don't let it bother you.
    They sure are! Its stupid really! Why cant they just focus on making their own lives better? Surely thats more productive?

Ill my best but its extremely difficult!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Aww, I'm sure your presentation went fine. They're laughing because they have nothing better to do.
    Just remember that these people are only in your class for a certain number of days, after that they'll forget you and you'll have moved on to some better place :hugs:
    The best way to avoid getting hurt, is your indifference. If you stop caring about them laughing, it won't affect you. Trust me, it works
    My lack of confidence didnt help tbh. But thankyou!
    Hmm i see, they didnt laugh at anyone else though! Just me!
    6 more days and im done with them all!
    Theyd better forget me! Im not having anything to do with them afterwards!
    Indeed! Im the only one with an apprenticeship! Theyve all got nothing!
    :hugs:
    Ill give that a go and see what happens!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    What can I do?
    Thanks
    Hey, was reading this. I hope that you are okay! There is nothing worse than being laughed at by bullies. But you just need to remember that they are probably intimidated by you, you are probably much more clever - with a better personality. Unfortunately, you cannot stop them, all you can do is try and ignore it, hold your head up high and eventually they will get bored of it. Honestly, even if you don't feel confident - try and come across as being confident, it will be a shock for the bullies. Act cool, unaffected, calm and collected. Even if it is an act, the bullies won't know what to say!

Don't let these bullies stop you from doing presentations in front of large groups of people. Your presentation was probably exceptionally good and the laughter may have happened due to jealousy. Remember that they only represent a small proportion of society, the majority of humans are actually really lovely! You will meet foul people throughout your life, but it is how you deal with them that matters! Don't bother giving these bullies a response, they are so not worth it. You are a lot better and stronger than them. Do not let them get to you. I know that it is easier said than done, but try and have some self-belief, then it will become easier. I promise.

People who feel that they have the right to laugh at others are ridiculous excuses for human beings. Anyway, I think that you should feel proud of yourself for actually having the confidence to stand up and present in front of your bullies. Not many people would have the confidence to do that. You should be proud of yourself.

This is a minuscule section of your life. Soon you will be out of there and can do what you want. Success is the best revenge. Succeed in all your exams, achieve all your goals and then we will see who will be laughing then.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Honestly, I had tears in my eyes when reading your post. Why do the worst things have to happen to the best people? People with the purest and kindest hearts always manage to end up being victimised and hurt the most. I hope that you are okay.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.