The Student Room Group

Why isn't the murder of Jo Cox being broadcasted as a TERRORIST ATTACK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
No, fully agree it's not a huge leap, but the direct connotations of do alter somewhat depending on which phrase was uttered - but we'll almost certainly never know which it actually was.

It has since emerged that he was a member of various far right organisations around the world, but over a huge number of years, as well as being in treatment for mental health.

Potentially a number of influences, but given what's emerged so far (hefty pinch of salt with this statement, obviously) I'd be very surprised if this was, as some seem to think, a 'directed' attack.

I don't think terrorism should fall on technicalities or semantics. If you're attack is politically motivated, as this was then that should be described as terrorism.
The police reported the killer was not known to hold, or articulate any political beliefs at all. It seems the killing was more due to his mental illness rather than in the name of a certain political belief, certainly do not believe you can brand this a terrorist attack purely because he shouted BF before the murder (is this even true?). However I totally agree regarding media bias - the Muslim faith being branded radical, and the Muslim/Terrorism tags being used in every possible negative situation is awful misrepresentation of an entire religion.
Original post by Bornblue
I don't think terrorism should fall on technicalities or semantics. If you're attack is politically motivated, as this was then that should be described as terrorism.

Then if I shoot my neighbour because I don't happen to like his politics, I'm a terrorist. But if I shoot him because I don't happen to like something else about him, I'm not a terrorist... The line seems rather insignificant and difficult to differentiate, if you ask me.

I'll paraphrase again something from my last post:

Terrorism involves a criminal and spectacular use of force to intimidate the public and/or authorities for the purpose of achieving political goals.

Some guy (with a history of mental illness), no known links to terrorist organizations, no known demands, and no motivations we can identify for certain at this time, can't really be called a terrorist.
Original post by Dandaman1
Then if I shoot my neighbour because I don't happen to like his politics, I'm a terrorist. But if I shoot him because I don't happen to like something else about him, I'm not a terrorist... The line seems rather insignificant and difficult to differentiate, if you ask me.

It's not about not liking his politics, it's about killing someone because of your beliefs.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not about not liking his politics, it's about killing someone because of your beliefs.

And me not liking his politics is a result of my beliefs.

What if I killed him because I believed he was sleeping with my wife, if I
Sleeping with someones wife is not a political belief.
I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve her.

This man murdered someone because of his far right beliefs. When one kills in the name of Islam we do not hesitate to kill it terrorism, yet when one kills in the name of the far-right, people like you refuse to call it terrorism.

Stop looking for semantics and technicalities and accept it for what it was, a terrorist attack.

We don't call all Islamically motivated attacks acts of terror. Take honour killings, for example. But Islamism has become a very politicized issue now with Islamic terrorism occurring regularly around the world. So yes, we are naturally quick to call Muslims terrorists, but just as we would have been with the Irish during The Troubles.

Anyhow, simply killing someone because of your political beliefs is not an act of terror - it needs to meet other criteria (see again my first response to you). Your're setting the bar too low and using the word 'terrorism' too liberally.

Yes, he had right wing views, but they have not yet been connected to the attack. And again, his mental state is also relevant.

Right now he's a mental case with right wing views that assassinated an MP. But that's it.
The authorities aren't saying that he had political motives. Although it seems likely that he did, they've also been very slow to label obviously Islam-related attacks as Islamic attack in the past. There is not (yet) a double standard here.
Original post by Maddass911
So, as we all know Mrs Cox, 41, was shot and stabbed in the street as she headed to a scheduled constituency surgery on Thursday. A 52 year old man has been arrested.

So my question to all you guys is why isn't the media broadcasting this as a terrorist attack? We all remember the murder of Lee Rigby and also the Leyton tube station knife attack.

As you all know the attackers in the above mentioned attacks were Muslim. So, is it that for a attack to be shown as a terrorist attack the attacker has to be a muslim.

Also I dont know if this is true but apparantly the scum who murdered Mrs Cox shouted 'Britain First'. Can't that be related to what the muslims shout 'Allah Akbar'??

Its been approximately 24 hours. They have to investigate and look at the evidence before bringing charges.

(1) In this Act "terrorism" means the use or threat of action where-

(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government [or an international governmental organisation][3] or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and

(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious[, racial][4] or ideological cause.

Still have to investigate. they still investigated in the Lee Rigby case, although soldiers were an obvious political target. MP's less so.
Reply 29
Original post by Daddy Longlegz
If he did yell ''Britain first'' and was motivated by far-right politics it was a terror attack, we have to be sure first.

it was a terror attack. After killing Jo Cox, a man tackled him to the ground, and having a gun on him he got up and ignored the man. He chose not to shoot the man and only had Jo as a target. Pretty obvious that he was targetting her due to his political view.
Reply 30
Original post by 999tigger
Its been approximately 24 hours. They have to investigate and look at the evidence before bringing charges.

Still have to investigate. they still investigated in the Lee Rigby case, although soldiers were an obvious political target. MP's less so.

Umm they announced almost instantly that it was a 'muslim terror attack' in Lee Rigby's case without any investigation. They could have done the same here, but they haven't and they won't as he is not muslim... I mean they arrested him right after right? surely they would have questioned him by now.
I've always thought that terrorists were foreigners trying to influence other countries...
Reply 32
Original post by Evilstr99
Here's an example, relevant to the classification of terrorism.

The media classify the Orlando Shootings as a terrorist attack, because the perpetrator was a Muslim.But what about the Charleston Church Shootings? It was a racial attack on African-Americans yet the media doesn't classify this as a terrorist attack. Why? The perpetrator wasn't Muslim, he was White. Both of these attacks are orchestrated to achieve a political aim, which follows its formal definition. Why was THIS not the case with the latter?

Yes how dare the media portray an attack done in the name of Isis as terrorism
Reply 33
Because the killer wasn't a Muslim. The media is at it again.
Original post by ozziess
Umm they announced almost instantly that it was a 'muslim terror attack' in Lee Rigby's case without any investigation. They could have done the same here, but they haven't and they won't as he is not muslim... I mean they arrested him right after right? surely they would have questioned him by now.

TBF there is a track record of islamic terrorism plots and attacks at the moment, there has been since 9/11. I dont believe there has been such a spate of attacks, bombs and murders by Neo Nazis.

Before 9/11 the assumption was that bombs were mostly to do with the IRA.

The closest I can think of was the man at Leytonstone tube.
Original post by ozziess
it was a terror attack. After killing Jo Cox, a man tackled him to the ground, and having a gun on him he got up and ignored the man. He chose not to shoot the man and only had Jo as a target. Pretty obvious that he was targetting her due to his political view.

He might have been mentally ill, he might have been a spurned lover, we simply do not know. It's not obvious at all at this stage and it may well turn out that it is a terror attack, but right now we cannot say.
Original post by joecphillips
Yes how dare the media portray an attack done in the name of Isis as terrorism

I don't think the CIA dug anything up which connected him to ISIS, and if that's true then he wasn't actually affiliated to any terrorist groups.
Reply 37
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I don't think the CIA dug anything up which connected him to ISIS, and if that's true then he wasn't actually affiliated to any terrorist groups.

He made phone calls stating it was for Isis.
Original post by joecphillips
He made phone calls stating it was for Isis.

But they couldn't find anything which told them he had an official affilitation with ISIS. And if his verbal statement was enough to make him a terrorist, then Jo Cox's killer (who supposedly shouted "Britain First") is also a terrorist because he was acting in the name of an ideology.

Bear in mind the Orlando guy was also most likely a closet homosexual and the pressure could have mentally destablised him.
Reply 39
Original post by AnnieGakusei
But they couldn't find anything which told them he had an official affilitation with ISIS. And if his verbal statement was enough to make him a terrorist, then Jo Cox's killer (who supposedly shouted "Britain First":wink: is also a terrorist because he was acting in the name of an ideology.

Bear in mind the Orlando guy was also most likely a closet homosexual and the pressure could have mentally destablised him.

There is uncertainty about if he actually said Britain first that is the problem, there has been conflicting reports.

If that is why he did this then it is terrorism but until it is confirmed then it should not be said that it definitely is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending