Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Ask not whether you are good enough for Cambridge, but whether Cambridge is good enough for you. It breaks my heart to see people judging their "value" by whether a certain university would offer them a place. You are good enough, full stop.
    Considering cambridge maths is probably the most advanced maths undergrad in the country and the part III is one of the best undergrad/graduate taught maths courses for preparing a student for a maths/theoretical physics phd research on the planet, yes cambridge is good enough aha

(Original post by madmadmax321)
    Considering cambridge maths is probably the most advanced maths undergrad in the country and the part III is one of the best undergrad/graduate taught maths courses for preparing a student for a maths/theoretical physics phd research on the planet, yes cambridge is good enough aha
    Sigh. I think you missed my point this is exactly what makes me sad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Ask not whether you are good enough for Cambridge, but whether Cambridge is good enough for you. It breaks my heart to see people judging their "value" by whether a certain university would offer them a place. You are good enough, full stop.
    I love this reply!

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. I think you missed my point this is exactly what makes me sad
    Perhaps but maybe its because I was referring to your first sentence only. I dont think people should be judged by which uni they go to, they should be judged by how they are as a person and (if we are talking about academics) how good they are at their subject

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps but maybe its because I was referring to your first sentence only. I dont think people should be judged by which uni they go to, they should be judged by how they are as a person and (if we are talking about academics) how good they are at their subject
    You do realise that everything is not just about academics, right...? By "Cambridge is not good enough for you" it could just mean that the style of teaching or the collegiate structure or supervisions do not work well with you and make you uncomfortable, that you prefer a more modern environment, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You do realise that everything is not just about academics, right...? By "Cambridge is not good enough for you" it could just mean that the style of teaching or the collegiate structure or supervisions do not work well with you and make you uncomfortable, that you prefer a more modern environment, etc...
    if you dont mean supervisions then how does the style of teaching vary?
    As for supervisions every uni I applied to boosted supervision style learning for their first year at least, so it may be hard to escape that downside (though I am aware this may be because I only have the experience of 1 subject but I did not specifically chose ones that offered supervisions I only was made aware of them at open days)

academics matter a lot in maths though, more so than other subjects

(Original post by Zacken)
    Prsom

ReputationRep:
    Prsom
    Prsom?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by phoebeisgreat)
    Prsom?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Prsom = Please rate some other member

That's what TSR says if you try to like 2 of the same person's posts too close together

(Original post by UDZ)
    OP wasn't asking whether they are good enough for Cambridge, they were asking if their score was good enough for Cambridge...

Maybe you should work on your comprehension skills, and reread the post.
    Ouch... You are polite aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    Ouch... You are polite aren't you?
    I don't care whether I am polite or not, I care about people getting misinformed from an error in judgement.

(Original post by UDZ)
    I don't care whether I am polite or not, I care about people getting misinformed from an error in judgement.
    What would your mother say?

ReputationRep:
    What would your mother say?
    I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    So are my ums high enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by phoebeisgreat)
    So are my ums high enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your average UMS is 94.5% and as a general rule, anyone with over 90% has a good chance so yes, your UMS are high enough

ReputationRep:
    It depends. If you're looking to study Classics they won't get you in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UDZ)
    OP wasn't asking whether they are good enough for Cambridge, they were asking if their score was good enough for Cambridge...

Maybe you should work on your comprehension skills, and reread the post.
    So what if the OP wasn't asking whether they were good enough or not? She provided tangentially related advice, did she, at any point state that the OP was asking whether they were good enough or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james813)
    It depends. If you're looking to study Classics they won't get you in
    Which bit about "good enough for maths at Cambridge?" did you not understand?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.