Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    That's probably the most impressive list I've heard so far. Did you have much knowledge of German and Japanese before starting A-levels?
    Thank you! I've been studying German in school since Year 7, and Japanese I picked up at the beginning of Year 12. I intended to just do a GCSE in Japanese, but then ended up taking the AS level at the end of Year 12 so I was like **** it, got a year left so I'll go the whole way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workangel_24)
    If you believe you can do it give it a try as there's no harm in trying and I wish you the best of luck in your A Levels and good luck on GCSE results day
    Uni's do look at how many subjects you're taking so if you take more than 3/4 it shows you are able to cope with the workload and shows you are a hard-working person.
    I'm also set to join the Debating Society and Basketball team, and in the summer I'm going to a French summer school and doing NCS, on top of a Silver DofE medal already. Hoping to make a grounding for myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    Luke Collinson ombtom george_c00per

I was contemplating doing 4 subjects but after reading about this guy from Pakistan, I think I'm going to do 5 instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...12-months.html

His story is very impressive ngl He only got a 2:2 in his first and second years of Cambridge though! I know that is a perfectly acceptable achievement but it just goes to show that doing more A Levels doesn't make you ridiculously smart
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke Collinson)
    Hi Guys,
    I've just been accepted into my college, Peter Symonds, and I've picked 5 A Levels; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Italian Ab Initio and French. On top of that, I am also set to do an Extended Project Qualification. Now you may be wondering why I was so mad to pick so many, however, I really want to get into Oxford to do Engineering and I want to give myself an edge that other applicants don't have.

So to ask the question has anyone else done this many, and if so, how did you go about planning and maintaining a sustainable work and motivation levels?
    Just for your information, taking 5 A Levels isn't going to give you an edge for your Engineering application. Oxford are not going to be interested in your Italian or French A Levels. If you want to take 5 A Levels because you're interested in all of them and because you want the challenge then sure, go for it - as long as you're sure it's not going to harm your grades - but if you're just doing this to give yourself an edge for Oxford, please consider dropping one of them. If you get an offer, you're not going to be given any leniency just because you're taking 5 A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Just for your information, taking 5 A Levels isn't going to give you an edge for your Engineering application. Oxford are not going to be interested in your Italian or French A Levels. If you want to take 5 A Levels because you're interested in all of them and because you want the challenge then sure, go for it - as long as you're sure it's not going to harm your grades - but if you're just doing this to give yourself an edge for Oxford, please consider dropping one of them. Trust me, it's not going to help your Engineering application, and if you get an offer, you're not going to be given any leniency just because you're taking 5 A Levels.
    I've taken French because I want to get taught in French in tandem with Engineering at Oxford. Italian for the challenge.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I've taken French because I want to get taught in French in tandem with Engineering at Oxford. Italian for the challenge.
    You mean in the Oxford Language Centre? That's fine but you are aware that you can learn languages from scratch there? And again, it's up to you, but I still wouldn't recommend taking 5 A Levels, particularly if 40% of them are irrelevant to the subject you're applying for. It's not going to help your application. Can't you learn French or Italian casually in your own time without doing a full A Level in it?

ReputationRep:
    You mean in the Oxford Language Centre? That's fine but you are aware that you can learn languages from scratch there? And again, it's up to you, but I still wouldn't recommend taking 5 A Levels, particularly if 40% of them are irrelevant to the subject you're applying for. It's not going to help your application. Can't you learn French or Italian casually in your own time without doing a full A Level in it?
    Possibly, but I'm going to try it and after 2 months evaluate to see if the workload is too much.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, but I'm going to try it and after 2 months evaluate to see if the workload is too much.
    Okay. As long as you're honest with yourself and are confident that you will drop one or both of the languages if it turns out that you're not performing at your best, that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    I've just been accepted into my college, Peter Symonds, and I've picked 5 A Levels; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Italian Ab Initio and French. On top of that, I am also set to do an Extended Project Qualification. Now you may be wondering why I was so mad to pick so many, however, I really want to get into Oxford to do Engineering and I want to give myself an edge that other applicants don't have.

So to ask the question has anyone else done this many, and if so, how did you go about planning and maintaining a sustainable work and motivation levels?
    I do 5 at the moment, but I sat the whole Maths A2 last year so it's more like 4 this year and I really wouldn't want to be doing any more. There were definitely exams last year where if I'd had more time to revise, I would have scored higher.

Also for languages - are you sure you want to take ab initio Italian? Loads of people underestimate language A Levels but honestly I've spent more time on Spanish this year than I have on all my other subjects combined. I take Spanish A2 and have done since Y7 and it's still not easy. I am Italian but the amount of work I'd have to put into studying for the A2 exam would be fairly substantial, and that's without learning all the vocab, grammar etc.

If you want to take 5 and an EPQ then go for it, but it's unlikely to enhance your uni application significantly and I'd advise you to seriously consider how taking so many will affect your overall grades.

ReputationRep:
    I do 4 and I did the EPQ too, it was a lot considering entrance exams and uni applications. But one was a humanities which required time for essay planning etc...

ReputationRep:
    Don't do EPQ.

If you have any sanity at all, just don't. This is coming from someone doing 5 A levels and an EPQ (which I haven't started yet, and was supposed to be started in January lol).

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, you are going to a college very local to me. Honestly, never ever ever ever ever do an EPQ, you will regret it as it is the most pointless thing in the world and takes so much work

This is coming from someone who got an A* in it too. Literally it's not worth it at all.

As for 5 A levels, you are very brave 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay. As long as you're honest with yourself and are confident that you will drop one or both of the languages if it turns out that you're not performing at your best, that's fine.
    What would you say to taking 5 AS levels (self teaching one) and only taking 3 onto A2?

Basically, what I'm planning on doing. All of the subjects I want to take are pretty relevant to my desired uni course - I'm not aiming for Oxbridge tho like OP and I just wanted to know if it's really worth taking a 'fun' extra subject as most of the others are quite demanding
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiniun)
    What would you say to taking 5 AS levels (self teaching one) and only taking 3 onto A2?

Basically, what I'm planning on doing. All of the subjects I want to take are pretty relevant to my desired uni course - I'm not aiming for Oxbridge tho like OP and I just wanted to know if it's really worth taking a 'fun' extra subject as most of the others are quite demanding
    It really depends on what those AS levels are, how good you are at them and what your motivation is to take them. If they're relevant to your course, you're confident that you'd do just as well taking 5 AS Levels as you would taking 4, and you're taking those A Levels because you want to take them then that's absolutely fine. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with taking more than necessary qualifications, it's just important that people aren't doing it for the wrong reasons.

(Original post by ombtom)
    If you enjoy all of the subjects, go for it.

That guy must've had an extreme amount of prior knowledge. :lol:
    Instead of giving me credit for sharing the Pakistani guy's success story, you ridicule his achievement albeit subtly. Hope you do well for your exams.

(Original post by Workangel_24)
    OMG, I was thinking of posting his story here, how did you read my mind??
    Sure no prob. Thanks for the rep

ReputationRep:
    More isn't always better

7 A*'s and rejected by Oxford http://goo.gl/9ePfmV

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I wish I'd taken up my Peter Symonds offer, but at the time my current college told me (lied to me) that they'd timetable me doing 5, and my parents w/couldn't spare me the train money... So it was never really my choice anyway. Peter Symonds was always my favourite...

That many A-Levels won't help you get into Oxford. I would drop at-least one language and consider swapping the other for a science. You won't be any more attractive than a candidate taking just Maths, Further, and Physics, if they beat you in module scores.

I wouldn't recommend EPQ if you're not short of other subjects to study, but there's nothing wrong with it either.

So how did you get them to let you do 5? Best of luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.