Making up for low AS grades at UCAS application

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Had the same problem mate, I ended up worse with ABCD. I was looking into applying for Civil Engineering or MORSE at Warwick, but I really screwed up FM (D) I'm planning to retake AS as well as doing the A2 is there any point of applying for Warwick,Bath,etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niz2206)
    Had the same problem mate, I ended up worse with ABCD. I was looking into applying for Civil Engineering or MORSE at Warwick, but I really screwed up FM (D) I'm planning to retake AS as well as doing the A2 is there any point of applying for Warwick,Bath,etc.
    Hey, sorry, didn't see your post. Unlucky, we both got disappointed. I'd say there's some point if you can beg your teachers for good predictions, because if you look through the Uni Connect page you can see that both Unis are liable to throw some low-ball offers, though I haven't seen anything quite like ABCD. You might want to check if either Uni enters adjustment, as that could be another opportunity if you can't pull an offer.

(Original post by jneill)
    You need to quote me otherwise I may miss your post

If you reapply with A*A*AA and 1,1 then yes you would be competitive for Cambridge. (But there's no guarantees... )

But please think VERY carefully about spending £2k on a residential...
    Thanks again for all your advice so far, it's been extremely helpful.

I've obviously been weighing up a third year in my head for a while, and I'm inclined to go for it. This graph is possibly what convinced me. I can't wait for offers before signing onto a third year at my college though, so I have to abandon this year's application and take a leap of faith.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I was hoping you could advise how best I prepare this year. I'm currently signed up for an EPQ (Analysing and identifying factors of time-space complexity for the computational processing and graphical display of iterative complex functions - Working Title!) which I'm not sure will help me or not, and I'm intending on entering STEP this year, the Physics Olympiad as-well as the Senior Mathematical Challenge to try and qualify for the BMO. Do you think that the EPQ is a liability or of benefit to me? I'm aware I must focus on scoring perfect UMS this year. I think STEP is probably the right thing to do, both to assure Cambridge of my ability, and to support my maths.

I'm also not sure what I should be doing next year. I think I am best to stay in college so that I have a reference and predicted grades, etc. I'm planning on self-teaching AS+A2 AFM in a year, and we previously talked about MOOCs, but my college needs me to take one more subject so that I receive funding. (I need to make a really compelling case to be given a third year at-all - seems a bit unfair when they're handed out to people that really flopped :/)

Yep, 2k is a massive amount of money, but I'm really desperate and if it helps me at-all, then it's worth it to me. Haven't a clue where I'm going to get it from, but my guitar gear could make most of that up if it came to it. I wouldn't be paying a penny until my results, so I wouldn't be completely conned if I didn't get realistic grades this year. It isn't something I'm sure on, all the same. I think it might come down to how helpful it actually looks to be, and how badly I need the extra help.

Sorry for the walls of text.... Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    What is the lowest that someone knows Imperial have ever offered someone?

ReputationRep:
    You need to quote me otherwise I may miss your post

If you reapply with A*A*AA and 1,1 then yes you would be competitive for Cambridge. (But there's no guarantees... )

But please think VERY carefully about spending £2k on a residential...
    To be honest won't go for the residential. My time now needs to be studying, and if I was a re-applicant I would want my grades to carry me forwards. Thanks for your thoughts.

I've dropped A2 Comp Sci and picked up AS Additional Further Maths (self-taught, no prediction) and am doing a maths based EPQ.

I've applied for these:
    Cam - Maths w/ Phys BSc
    Bath - Maths & Phys BSc
    Warwick - Maths & Phys BSc
    Durham - Nat. Sci (Maths & Phys) BSc
    St Andrews - Maths & Theo. Phys MPhys (2nd year entry)

Yes, complete subject change. My Comp Sci teacher eventually killed my enthusiasm for the subject, but I genuinely like Maths.

Unfortunately my college has done goofed. They've submitted my form with just AAAA predictions. I'd previously been told I would be predicted A*AAA or A*A*AA (out of my remaining college-taught subjects and EPQ), and a teacher later agreed to also predict me A*. So that's the Cambridge interview definitely gone, and a choice wasted. Funnily enough, I'm not very happy about it all.

I was wondering what you thought about St Andrews, as I'm worried my college has thrown my chances there under the bus, and that was the only place outside Cambridge I had much enthusiasm for.

@mahmzo Not sure, sorry. Check University Connect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    To be honest won't go for the residential. My time now needs to be studying, and if I was a re-applicant I would want my grades to carry me forwards. Thanks for your thoughts.

I've dropped A2 Comp Sci and picked up AS Additional Further Maths (self-taught, no prediction) and am doing a maths based EPQ.

I've applied for these:
    Cam - Maths w/ Phys BSc
    Bath - Maths & Phys BSc
    Warwick - Maths & Phys BSc
    Durham - Nat. Sci (Maths & Phys) BSc
    St Andrews - Maths & Theo. Phys MPhys (2nd year entry)

Yes, complete subject change. My Comp Sci teacher eventually killed my enthusiasm for the subject, but I genuinely like Maths.

Unfortunately my college has done goofed. They've submitted my form with just AAAA predictions. I'd previously been told I would be predicted A*AAA or A*A*AA (out of my remaining college-taught subjects and EPQ), and a teacher later agreed to also predict me A*. So that's the Cambridge interview definitely gone, and a choice wasted. Funnily enough, I'm not very happy about it all.

I was wondering what you thought about St Andrews, as I'm worried my college has thrown my chances there under the bus, and that was the only place outside Cambridge I had much enthusiasm for.

@mahmzo Not sure, sorry. Check University Connect.
    Uh oh. Can you persuade your referee to follow-up your application and send the "correct" prediction to each university? I imagine all your choices are typically asking for more than AAA?

I have very little info on St Andrews except an observation that they tend to sing to a different tune. I've seen very good candidates receiving Cambridge offers but St Andrews rejections...

ReputationRep:
    Uh oh. Can you persuade your referee to follow-up your application and send the "correct" prediction to each university? I imagine all your choices are typically asking for more than AAA?

I have very little info on St Andrews except an observation that they tend to sing to a different tune. I've seen very good candidates receiving Cambridge offers but St Andrews rejections...
    Can that be done? Would be an ammendment to the UCAS, or sent to each University individually?

I would only be able to have the physics prediction amended to A*, which was one of my B grades at AS, and so it could look suspect. Do you think it would be a good idea?
    It's a long story. I was told I'd be predicted A* in Maths and A or possibly A* in Further by my tutor, but my maths teacher hates me and seems to have exerted his influence to ensure I'm not predicted A* in any of his subjects.

(After a half hour of pleading with him, he said he would only predict me A* if I achieved A* in an end-of-year test paper today. I got just under an A, and couldn't convince him that having only started a month ago, not covered all the content and with 8 months to go, it was completely likely I would make up 10 marks for an A* in time for June. I easily lost enough marks to make it A* in silly mistakes where I clearly knew what I was doing. It's obvious to me that he never intended to make an A* prediction, but let me sit the test just so he could say "I gave you a chance".)

ReputationRep:
    Can that be done? Would be an ammendment to the UCAS, or sent to each University individually?

I would only be able to have the physics prediction amended to A*, which was one of my B grades at AS, and so it could look suspect. Do you think it would be a good idea?
    It's a long story. I was told I'd be predicted A* in Maths and A or possibly A* in Further by my tutor, but my maths teacher hates me and seems to have exerted his influence to ensure I'm not predicted A* in any of his subjects.

(After a half hour of pleading with him, he said he would only predict me A* if I achieved A* in an end-of-year test paper today. I got just under an A, and couldn't convince him that having only started a month ago, not covered all the content and with 8 months to go, it was completely likely I would make up 10 marks for an A* in time for June. I easily lost enough marks to make it A* in silly mistakes where I clearly knew what I was doing. It's obvious to me that he never intended to make an A* prediction, but let me sit the test just so he could say "I gave you a chance".)
    Contact UCAS asap... https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...-undergraduate

(I don't know if it's possible but it's worth a shot... PQ or claireestelle may be able to confirm.)

ReputationRep:
    Contact UCAS asap... https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...-undergraduate

(I don't know if it's possible but it's worth a shot... PQ or claireestelle may be able to confirm.)
    I've emailed asking how my predicted grades could be amended, and mentioned the October 15th deadline. I'm not expecting a reply for tomorrow, but I'll talk to my tutor and push the point that I'd like them amended, even if he's reluctant to be bothered with it.

Thanks for all the help, it's really appreciated, I'd feel a lot more in the dark if you didn't chime in with these things as you do.

ReputationRep:
    I've emailed asking how my predicted grades could be amended, and mentioned the October 15th deadline. I'm not expecting a reply for tomorrow, but I'll talk to my tutor and push the point that I'd like them amended, even if he's reluctant to be bothered with it.

Thanks for all the help, it's really appreciated, I'd feel a lot more in the dark if you didn't chime in with these things as you do.
    No problem, and good luck!

(I think you might need it )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.