The Student Room Group

End of GCSEs...

Scroll to see replies

I'd advise learning c1 and c2 all within the space of a couple of weeks during the summer, or even getting a tutor during your holiday. 100s across the board and 3A* predictions is far more noticeable than 11Bs at GCSE when applying to top universities.
Original post by IAspireToSucceed
I have just finished my GCSEs and I don't feel happy like everyone else

I feel as though I could have put WAY more effort into them and didn't come out content after most of them.

I also go to an all girls grammar school, where everyone will get all A*s and I don't think I will get one.

In mocks I got (Just the exam- not including coursework etc):

Bio -C
Chem -C
Phys-D
Maths A -A
Maths M -A
English Language -A
English Literature -B
Business Studies -C
Geography -A
German -A/B
P.E. -E
ICT -C

That was ZERO revision and basically understanding NOTHING and not knowing any exam technique.

After mocks I did some past papers and went to boosters etc. and now understand the topics, but feel like I could have revised WAY more

But because of the bad grades I got before I feel like I going to do terribly and bring our school down.

I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I am SO scared about results and whether or not I will be able to do Physics at A Level. I cannot tell if I found the physics exams good or bad (I do AQA) and I can't enjoy the summer now..

I had dreams of studying economics at University (e.g. LSE, UCL, Cambridge etc.)

And now I don't think they will accept me with the grades I will get this summer. I know I definitely got a D/E overall in P.E. (it was a confidence issue)

How can I feel better and try not to worry?

I know what you mean as I also go to a good all girls school and I really don't think I am going to get my predicted grades. You said that you revised for your real exams but not for your mocks and most of your mock results are still pretty goo so you could only have done better in the real thing right?

I' worried about this too I need at least 7A*s to do what I want to for Alevels but at this point that seems pretty much impossible. But most of my exams are done now, like yours, so there is nothing I can do about it now but I don't really see the point in worrying about something in the past that I now have no power to change so I guess like you I shall just have to wait and see.
Original post by Banana00
Don't think about your GCSEs now. I know it's difficult, but worry about your GCSE results on results day only - not before and not after. Don't dwell on 'what might have been'; it's simply not worth it.

If you want to make a competitive application to Oxbridge/UCL/LSE etc., the work starts now. Read as much as you possibly can about your subject and find something that you're really interested in in the field of economics. Develop a true passion for the subject as that is what universities are looking for, especially the 'top' ones. I don't know if universities such as UCL and LSE do interviews, but being able to express your genuine enthusiasm for economics will really help you when it comes to your personal statement and university interviews. If you manage to get an interview at Cambridge then you definitely won't need to worry about your GCSE results any more as they will clearly think you're good enough for their course.

TL;DR: Read, read, read, read and forget about your GCSEs - you'll be fine!

Good luck,
Banana :h::h:

Thank you SO much!! I will definitely do what you have said and delve deep into my passion for Economics xxxxxx
Original post by antebellum
I'd advise learning c1 and c2 all within the space of a couple of weeks during the summer, or even getting a tutor during your holiday. 100s across the board and 3A* predictions is far more noticeable than 11Bs at GCSE when applying to top universities.

Will do!! Thank you so much!!! XXX
Original post by niv1234
I know what you mean as I also go to a good all girls school and I really don't think I am going to get my predicted grades. You said that you revised for your real exams but not for your mocks and most of your mock results are still pretty goo so you could only have done better in the real thing right?

I' worried about this too I need at least 7A*s to do what I want to for Alevels but at this point that seems pretty much impossible. But most of my exams are done now, like yours, so there is nothing I can do about it now but I don't really see the point in worrying about something in the past that I now have no power to change so I guess like you I shall just have to wait and see.

Yes definitely, like everyone is saying there is no point worrying, whatever will be will be and we must work SUPER hard at A Level !! Xxxxx
Original post by metellaest
I completely agree with @Banana00 ! Definitely use this summer to read around Economics :smile: I've just started compiling my reading list for the summer :h:

If you're interested in Cambridge, you should follow the Cambridge Applicants Thread for 2018 (it's early, I know, but there's no harm): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3528165#primary_content

I hope you have a great summer :smile:

Thank you so much! I'm going to join it the thread now!! Ahahh xx
Yes definitely, like everyone is saying there is no point worrying, whatever will be will be and we must work SUPER hard at A Level !! Xxxxx

Yes thats a good plan.
Thank you SO much!! I will definitely do what you have said and delve deep into my passion for Economics xxxxxx

You're very welcome! Good luck with everything. :h::h:
Banana xx
Original post by metellaest
Ah okay!! Thank you for the rep-but-not-rep then :h:

Same!! And I feel the exact same way...but as you say - oh well :smile:

So did you - Latin and Politics sound great as well (sadly, by lack of French ability in the listening tests means that wasn't even an option for me:ashamed:)

Have a fantastic summer! :banana2::banana:

You're welcome! Haha I'm sure you're not that bad at French!

Have a great summer too. :h::h:
Banana xx

Quick Reply

Latest