Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Eczema/psoriasis ruining my life

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmastewart94)
    I am 16 and pretty much in the same situation. Just don't do what I did and use aqueous cream as all the doctors prescribe but turns out it made my arms bleed, when I read the tub it actually says 'Don't use on irritated skin'.

The best two things you can possibly use are diprobase (large white bottle with pump) and Lush's Dream Cream. An under layer of diprobase as soon as you get up or out of the shower, wait to dry ( which it does really quickly) and pop a thin thin layer of dream cream on. The cream is a lifesaver. It's about £12 for a tub that lasts me 2-3 months at a time but it hydrates your skin and helps significantly plus it smells bloody gorgeous. xx
    That dream cream sounds PERFECT! Thank you so much, I will be getting myself to Lush very soon to try that... One thing I hate about prescription creams is that they smell horrible and I hate smelling bad haha... so this might just be a life saver.

Thank you!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Have you tried cutting out different foods at all? Bit of a pain to do but I know people who particularly gluten have found it really makes it worse. Dairy too but not as much. Worth a try anyway! The asthma link is also possiny worth an investigate, I've found mine a lot better since I started using natural soap too (the simple one seems to be about the best). It'd probably be even better if I switched shampoo/conditioner but I can't find any that actually work on my hair

Edit: antihistamines too- hadn't realised how much they helped me but as soon as I stopped taking them last winter it all went pear shaped. Less effective than they used to be but still help with skin (and other) allergies a lot.
    Thank you for your reply! Yes I've often thought that it might be a food intolerance, but like you said it is SUCH a pain and no doctor has ever suggested it so I guess I never really committed enough to try and cut out certain food groups for a few weeks at a time to see if it made a difference. I guess it's something I could try again though!

Really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    Have you tried Oilatum?
    I have, and the bath oil has helped in the past but the cream unfortunately does nothing for me Thank you for the suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I just want to thank you all for being so lovely and thoughtful, I didn't expect such a response and having just spent some time going through the suggestions, there are some new ones which I cannot wait to try!

So yeah, thank you all so much and I wish everyone the best!

ReputationRep:
    Hey have you ever tried taking Plant Derived Mineral supplements? My friend starting taking them and his condition cleared up after 6 weeks! We couldn't believe it - it was amazing! He no longer takes medication prescribed by the doctor and doesn't have to use any creams! Maybe worth giving it a try?

ReputationRep:
    I always find that people realise it way less than you do. I know this isn't really helpful but it has helped me. Don't wear polyester, shorts are cool and occupy your fingers

Same situation and age, failed a levels twice, tried various treatments from herbal remedy's, Steroid creams, UVB treatment, In-hospital wet wrap treatment. Currently on 75mg of Methotrexate as previous medical steroids didn't prove to work out.

But moisturising at least 5-6 times a day is key, I use E45 and there's slight improvement for me as my skin feels less tight and irritant, try to use less steroid creams/ointment (if you use them). I know how it feels, literally every night I cannot sleep properly because of itching.. emotional and mental well-being isn't great. Had therapy and actively contacted other helplines but its not the help i was looking for. I don't really know where i'm going with this but just keep going. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ekm12)
    Something I've found that makes it worse is when I'm stressed, but then I get stressed about the eczema, and so the cycle continues.
    I think that may be the key to how the nostril breathing thing works...

Both my kids have had eczema and I have never been quite convinced by the moisturise moisturise moisturise mantra that was dinned into me by the health visitors until the poor little chaps got infected then it was off to the doctor for antibiotics. They had what I would call a weeping scabby eczema, inside of elbows, backs of knees etc. It comes and goes, but what has helped recently is washing the blood off with just water, apply the almost pure Aloe Vera gel you can get from H&B, and then when that's dried, Nivea.

ReputationRep:
    I brought a coal tar/sulfur mixture from morocco form a reputed herbosterie. This stuff removes eczema completely. All this stuff in pharmacies does nothing.

ReputationRep:
    A sedating antihistamine is also worth a try if you itch loads during the night. (I only use Piriton because I find I go a bit loopy on Phenergan etc and I need to drive). Also try those plastic freezer blocks if you are up in the night with intense itching (the ones for cool bags - they have saved my sanity before now!). My skin gets unbearably hot and itchy when I'm having a bad flare up so I will sit with one of the blocks on the worst itch.

Unfortunately, it is trail and error. Coal tar, aqueous cream (horrible stuff), evening primrose oil, sudocrem, hydrocortisone, canesten HC, timodene, oilatum, aveeno, dermol, eumovate(hated that-made my eczema worse), betnovate, fucibet, umguentum, mometasone.... the list of what I have tried goes on and on (sure I've missed a load). I love dermol: it's antimicrobial so brill if your skin is starting to go a bit meh (technical term - precursor to infected eczema and fucibet time!). I can't tolerate any other emollient if my eczema is infected.
    I've only applied 4 different creams in the last 24 hours #normalforme (it was 5 earlier in the week!)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.