Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know what to vote and it's frustrating me Watch

ReputationRep:
    Taken from Facebook, worth a read.
    Spoiler:
    Show

A good friend of mine came up with a great idea. If you don't have the time/inclination to find out all the facts about the EU referendum (I don't blame you) and are possibly unsure which way to vote, perhaps knowing how other notable people are thinking could help out.

Here are a few that strongly believe the UK should remain a member of the EU:

• Governor of the Bank of England
    • International Monetary Fund
    • Institute for Fiscal Studies
    • Confederation of British Industry
    • Leaders/heads of state of every single other member of the EU
    • President of the United States of America
    • Eight former US Treasury Secretaries
    • President of China
    • Prime Minister of India
    • Prime Minister of Canada
    • Prime Minister of Australia
    • Prime Minister of Japan
    • Prime Minister of New Zealand
    • The chief executives of most of the top 100 companies in the UK including Marks and Spencer, BT, Asda, Vodafone, Virgin, IBM, BMW etc.
    • Kofi Annan, the former Secretary General of the United Nations
    • All living former Prime Ministers of the UK (from both parties)
    • Virtually all reputable and recognised economists
    • The Prime Minister of the UK
    • The leader of the Labour Party
    • The Leader of the Liberal Democrats
    • The Leader of the Green Party
    • The Leader of the Scottish National Party
    • The leader of Plaid Cymru
    • Leader of Sinn Fein
    • Martin Lewis, that money saving dude off the telly
    • The Secretary General of the TUC
    • Unison
    • National Union of Students
    • National Union of Farmers
    • Stephen Hawking
    • Chief Executive of the NHS
    • 300 of the most prominent international historians
    • Director of Europol
    • David Anderson QC, Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation
    • Former Directors of GCHQ
    • Secretary General of Nato
    • Church of England
    • Church in Scotland
    • Church in Wales
    • Friends of the Earth
    • Greenpeace
    • Director General of the World Trade Organisation
    • WWF
    • World Bank
    • OECD

Here are pretty much the only notable people who think we should leave the EU:

• Boris Johnson, who probably doesn’t really care either way, but knows he’ll become Prime Minister if the country votes to leave

• A former Secretary of State for Work and Pensions who carried out a brutal regime of cuts to benefits and essential support for the poorest in society as well as the disabled and sick

• That idiot that was Education Secretary and every single teacher in the country hated with a furious passion for the damage he was doing to the education system

• Leader of UKIP
    • BNP
    • Britain First
    • Donald Trump
    • Keith Chegwin
    • David Icke

So, as I said, if you can’t be bothered to look into the real facts and implications of all this in/out stuff, just pick the list that you most trust and vote that way. It really couldn’t be more simple.And if you are unsure about leaving, don't.

[/i]

ReputationRep:
    Arguments to remain boil down to "I think Boris Johnson is silly."

There are no real arguments to remain, so that camp has resorted to just attacking personalities instead.

Have a read of this, OP.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/s...ns-vote-leave/

ReputationRep:
    The EU is continuing to cannibalise the UK, and when the gravy train comes to a stand still, it is not going to be a pretty sight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I AM AT MY WITS END WITH THIS EU REFERENDUM

I HAVE WATCHED SO MANY DEBATES
    READ SO MANY ARTICLES
    SPOKEN TO SO MANY PEOPLE ABOUT THEIR OPINION

AND I STILL CANNOT DECidEEEEEE.

If you'd asked me anytime before like Summer last year I would have said leave, but then since then I've been kinda swaying on in.

Then the past 2 weeks I just can't even decide at all. Both sides have pretty good points and I hate this cause it's my (our) generation that it's gonna affect the most ughhhhhhhh.

IS it acceptable to just spoil my ballot in frustration.
    Well, ask yourself, how many experts have come out in favour of Brexit?

How many businesses have said that they will invest more in a Brexit?

The reality is that very few have because no one will invest more in Britain when we cannot even guarantee free access to the EU.

Before we joined the EU, we were the sickman of Europe. Currently, we have record unemployment and one of the best growth rates in Europe. Why are we putting this at risk?

ReputationRep:

READ SO MANY ARTICLES

If you'd asked me anytime before like Summer last year I would have said leave, but then since then I've been kinda swaying on in.

Then the past 2 weeks I just can't even decide at all. Both sides have pretty good points and I hate this cause it's my (our) generation that it's gonna affect the most ughhhhhhhh.

I would recommend you don't vote.

If you are not sure then then you aren't helping anyone as you don't really have a strong opinion either way.

It is acceptable to spoil your ballot.

I'm voting leave, what is it that is giving you doubts about voting leave?

This decision is big, if you do vote please make sure you vote for reasons that really affect you and others not the personality politics that some remainers are pushing, the people who think oh farage supports leave so I'm voting remain are the worst people and shouldn't be voting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    the people who think oh farage supports leave so I'm voting remain are the worst people and shouldn't be voting.
    thisssss

remain has literally got no arguments left so they just name names like it matters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Well, ask yourself, how many experts have come out in favour of Brexit?

How many businesses have said that they will invest more in a Brexit?

The reality is that very few have because no one will invest more in Britain when we cannot even guarantee free access to the EU.

Before we joined the EU, we were the sickman of Europe. Currently, we have record unemployment and one of the best growth rates in Europe. Why are we putting this at risk?
    Yes the 94% of uk businesses that don't trade with the Eu will stop investing here.

ReputationRep:
    Vote Leave!

ReputationRep:
    Yes the 94% of uk businesses that don't trade with the Eu will stop investing here.
    Try reading what I write instead of being emotional.

I said which businesses have said they will invest more in a brexit

Now, I can list multiple companies that have said they will change their investment negatively or their job allocations and etc.

Can't think of one that said they will have more jobs in a brexit.

ReputationRep:

READ SO MANY ARTICLES

Hey, I have the same problem as you. Honestly i don't think we should be having a referendum. Top economists don't understand how the EU works so how on earth are we meant to?

I'm getting really tired of it becoming a competition of nicely handpicked names to try to support either side. I want facts, not delicately chosen opinions. There is this thing at the min that compares names of people that support either side and its so bias its just annoying. It's impossible to get any actual ideas from the media or social media which makes it difficult for those of us still in exams to look things up properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Try reading what I write instead of being emotional.

I said which businesses have said they will invest morein a brexit

Now, I can list multiple companies that have said they will change negatively or their job allocations and etc.
    short term that is true but long term growth does not match that.

Hsbc's analysts stated that, regardless of the outcome of the referendum, the UK would remain a flexible and strong economy that would “eventually achieve a strong economic performance in or out of the EU”.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samonia)
    Hey, I have the same problem as you. Honestly i don't think we should be having a referendum. Top economists don't understand how the EU works so how on earth are we meant to?

I'm getting really tired of it becoming a competition of nicely handpicked names to try to support either side. I want facts, not delicately chosen opinions. There is this thing at the min that compares names of people that support either side and its so bias its just annoying. It's impossible to get any actual ideas from the media or social media which makes it difficult for those of us still in exams to look things up properly.
    Well, most economists have said that it is a bad idea.

Let's look at some facts.....how many companies have said they will invest more if we leave tomorrow? Zero

I can list multiple companies that have said they will change their investment or move jobs to other countries.

Look at the value of the pound. It is plummeting because the markets do not want a Brexit. Now, if we have a crash, it will affect everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samonia)

That other person is talking short term long term there are little consequence economically.

He states that the pound is falling because Britain may leave the EU that is true but that is not the full reason it is because of uncertainty it happens during general elections as well but that isn't used as a reason to get rid off democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    Taken from Facebook, worth a read.
    Spoiler:
    Show

A good friend of mine came up with a great idea. If you don't have the time/inclination to find out all the facts about the EU referendum (I don't blame you) and are possibly unsure which way to vote, perhaps knowing how other notable people are thinking could help out.

Here are a few that strongly believe the UK should remain a member of the EU:

• Governor of the Bank of England
    • International Monetary Fund
    • Institute for Fiscal Studies
    • Confederation of British Industry
    • Leaders/heads of state of every single other member of the EU
    • President of the United States of America
    • Eight former US Treasury Secretaries
    • President of China
    • Prime Minister of India
    • Prime Minister of Canada
    • Prime Minister of Australia
    • Prime Minister of Japan
    • Prime Minister of New Zealand
    • The chief executives of most of the top 100 companies in the UK including Marks and Spencer, BT, Asda, Vodafone, Virgin, IBM, BMW etc.
    • Kofi Annan, the former Secretary General of the United Nations
    • All living former Prime Ministers of the UK (from both parties)
    • Virtually all reputable and recognised economists
    • The Prime Minister of the UK
    • The leader of the Labour Party
    • The Leader of the Liberal Democrats
    • The Leader of the Green Party
    • The Leader of the Scottish National Party
    • The leader of Plaid Cymru
    • Leader of Sinn Fein
    • Martin Lewis, that money saving dude off the telly
    • The Secretary General of the TUC
    • Unison
    • National Union of Students
    • National Union of Farmers
    • Stephen Hawking
    • Chief Executive of the NHS
    • 300 of the most prominent international historians
    • Director of Europol
    • David Anderson QC, Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation
    • Former Directors of GCHQ
    • Secretary General of Nato
    • Church of England
    • Church in Scotland
    • Church in Wales
    • Friends of the Earth
    • Greenpeace
    • Director General of the World Trade Organisation
    • WWF
    • World Bank
    • OECD

Here are pretty much the only notable people who think we should leave the EU:

• Boris Johnson, who probably doesn’t really care either way, but knows he’ll become Prime Minister if the country votes to leave

• A former Secretary of State for Work and Pensions who carried out a brutal regime of cuts to benefits and essential support for the poorest in society as well as the disabled and sick

• That idiot that was Education Secretary and every single teacher in the country hated with a furious passion for the damage he was doing to the education system

• Leader of UKIP
    • BNP
    • Britain First
    • Donald Trump
    • Keith Chegwin
    • David Icke

So, as I said, if you can’t be bothered to look into the real facts and implications of all this in/out stuff, just pick the list that you most trust and vote that way. It really couldn’t be more simple.And if you are unsure about leaving, don't.

[/i]
    So pretty much... the Establishment vs some cherry-picked, unpopular leave supporters? Tough decision.

ReputationRep:
    short term that is true but long term growth does not match that.

Hsbc's analysts stated that, regardless of the outcome of the referendum, the UK would remain a flexible and strong economy that would “eventually achieve a strong economic performance in or out of the EU”.
    So, in other words, what I wrote was correct. No companies will invest more.

Instead, you quote to me a HSBC report that says that the Sterling could have 20% of it's value wiped off and looks at the UK's short term projections in a Brexit which include the break up of the Union.

This is the same HSBC that could move 1000 jobs in a Brexit.

Lol. The only time anyone knows about the Long term economy is when a Brexiter can find a sentence in a 50 page report that says "strong economic performance".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    thisssss

remain has literally got no arguments left so they just name names like it matters
    The Leave campaign ran out of arguments when they started campaigning. They've been using the same arguments for ages now, most of which have been proven to be incorrect or misleading.

ReputationRep:
    That other person is talking short term long term there are little consequence economically.

He states that the pound is falling because Britain may leave the EU that is true but that is not the full reason it is because of uncertainty it happens during general elections as well but that isn't used as a reason to get rid off democracy.
    Hahaha. Comparing this to a general election. How ridiculous.

Just going to quote the same report, you quoted to me.

" Our central case in the event of a vote for Brexit is that uncertainty grips the economy. This could take around 1.0-1.5pp off the GDP growth rate by H2 2017. ........... And if sterling were to fall by around 15-20% (as our currency strategists predict) "

15-20% fall is normally what happens following a general election?

So stop lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmarough)
    I think you're best looking at the kind of people who support each campaign leave or stay, that's what swayed me. We have Nigel Farage and Donald Trump saying leave but the likes of Barack Obama, Richard Branson AND Stephen Hawkins saying stay, choice is yours....
    We have James Dyson and Professor Brian Sturgess arguing for us to leave but Bob Geldoff and Comrade Corbyn saying stay.

See, you can twist that to sound however you like, it's just a silly argument to make, let's grow up a bit.

To the OP, you should vote leave to make me happy. No, I mean honestly, if you're not sure, well personally I wouldn't vote.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.facebook.com/Universityo...3361974024537/

Just watched this and it's brilliant. All facts and minus the propaganda and half-truths. Knocks out the analysis and seals it with a smile. Totally cemented my stance on Remain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend you don't vote.

If you are not sure then then you aren't helping anyone as you don't really have a strong opinion either way.

It is acceptable to spoil your ballot.

I'm voting leave, what is it that is giving you doubts about voting leave?

This decision is big, if you do vote please make sure you vote for reasons that really affect you and others not the personality politics that some remainers are pushing, the people who think oh farage supports leave so I'm voting remain are the worst people and shouldn't be voting.
    I would never vote in the way suggested in the last paragraph, I'm not a petty person like that

My doubts about leave are major businesses and economic groups saying we would be in a worse off position financially, and I can't help but feel that in a globalised world of today we are better off working together with other countries in union. I think by leaving we risk ruining our ties with other countries and greatly damaging our world reputation.

The problem with not voting, is that I think after everything people had to go through just to get the right to vote, that I should use that in some way. Especially considering how few young people bother voting.
    --
    Sorry @entire thread, I know I only replied to like one person haha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.