Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do Leave voters think they know better than experts? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would vote remain solely to piss off these xenophobes to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Common sense, experience, motive to name but three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "My opinion is better than yours, to put it bluntly, I just know it!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    French are lieing, Germans are lieing, they all lieing they think economy will collapse when we'll have 2 years to even do the transition, how can they be taken seriously?
    Nice, nice, very xenophobic.
    You sound like you belong in the tin foil hat brigade. The whole world (who mostly agree we are better off in) isn't lying to us and secretly want to destroy Britain.

Also who has said outright that our economy will collapse (as opposed to just recess)??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    One of the arguments I hear from people wanting to leave is that we shouldn't listen to what others have to say, and we should make our own decision!

But then the people wanting to leave are posting YouTube videos, and I am sure they didn't make them themselves!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveChap)
    Nice, nice, very xenophobic.
    You sound like you belong in the tin foil hat brigade. The whole world (who mostly agree we are better off in) isn't lying to us and secretly want to destroy Britain.

Also who has said outright that our economy will collapse (as opposed to just recess)??
    Everyone. I'm also voting in but thats the major problem vote in did wrong, too negative and full of lies.

ReputationRep:
    The same thing was seen with the SNP and Scottish Independence Referendum. The opinions of dozens of economists, lawyers etc meant nothing to the nationalists who put 'Scottish Pride' over evidence.

That's not to say I think it's all cut and dry. Frankly, 'evidence' on both sides - in both referenda - has been hard to wade through. But I certainly find (from my own experience, so not scientific in the slightest) that those voting leave are quicker to dismiss the evidence put in front of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    I would vote remain solely to piss off these xenophobes to be honest
    That shows that you dont care about the evidence/protection of this country. Your reason to Vote Remain is simply because of malice against Leave voters.

ReputationRep:
    Remain voters only think about the potential short-term economic consequences rather than thinking in the long-term.

Remain voters only think about the EU in its current form rather than the EU of the future.

Remain voters dismiss immigration concerns and ignore the unsustainable net migration figures we see each year.

Remain voters value GDP over quality of life.

Remain voters don't value sovereignty or democracy as much as they value short-term economic security.

Remain voters don't believe we can survive as an truly independent nation.

Remain voters have no belief in Britain.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    p.s. obviously all Remain voters aren't like this, I generalised intentionally because that's all OP ever does when talking about Leave voters

ReputationRep:
    Why do we have a democracy at all if you just want the 'experts' to decide? Let's just skip the awkward skip of what people want and jump right to what the experts think!

What's the point of voting at all if we should just follow the 'experts'?

Three good reasons to disbelieve experts:

- Own agenda
    - Group think
    - Often experts are appointed to lumber towards predetermined solutions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    One of the arguments I hear from people wanting to leave is that we shouldn't listen to what others have to say, and we should make our own decision!

But then the people wanting to leave are posting YouTube videos, and I am sure they didn't make them themselves!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is my decision because I agree 100% with what the person is saying in every one of the videos Ive posted.

Stop shouting and getting angry just because I dont agree with you. Relax.

ReputationRep:
    Obama stated very clearly that if Britain leaves the EU... they would not receive any further help from America.

Now, considering that Britain is up America's ass, without them we will go bust.

So if you all want extreme taxes and terribly low wages, be my guests. Obama made this very clear and said he would not go back on this decision.

Why on Earth would you want to leave anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    That shows that you dont care about the evidence/protection of this country. Your reason to Vote Remain is simply because of malice against Leave voters.
    And your reason to stay is...?

ReputationRep:
    What does Expert mean exactly? They said we'd be a fool to not adopt the Euro currency, Experts told our government go to into Iraq and experts also advised Russia to adopt shock therapy for its economic remodeling in the 90s, all were wrong. It means nothing at the end of the day its all crystal ball treatment.

Not to mention that its so riddled in half truths, controversy and speculation nobody knows what will happen. Anyone who claims to is a liar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)

- Own agenda
    - Group think
    This is exactly why people disregard the opinion of the experts, ignoring the fact that the supposed experts are the exact people form a class of people completely entrenched within the EU elite making their opinions suspect, none of the experts even address issues the average leave voter cares about. The man priority of the EU for the past year or so has been the resettlement of refugees, to someone on a low wage who either rents or has a mortgage, that's not a ****ing issue, and of course they will feel betrayed when this country stumps up millions of pounds in aid when they are feeling poorer.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's easy being the good guy when you're either independently rich and living in Surrey, or you're on six figures living in central London, much harder to be the good guy when you're on the breadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Why do we have a democracy at all if you just want the 'experts' to decide? Let's just skip the awkward skip of what people want and jump right to what the experts think!

What's the point of voting at all if we should just follow the 'experts'?

- Own agenda
    - Group think
    Absolutely spot on. Well done mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .....Jeff458)
    Obama stated very clearly that if Britain leaves the EU... they would not receive any further help from America.

Now, considering that Britain is up America's ass, without them we will go bust.

So if you all want extreme taxes and terribly low wages, be my guests. Obama made this very clear and said he would not go back on this decision.

Why on Earth would you want to leave anyway?
    The average Brit doesn't give a **** about that, the average Brit sees America as that thing which lied to get us to go to war and spend billions of pounds only to get a load of pissed off Muslims and dead soldiers. Lots of people would gladly leave NATO and spend less on the military :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Look no one can accurately predict what will happen. There's a lot of scaremongering on both sides but I'm still voting out. Yes, even though I come from an immigrant (Caribbean) family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daddy Longlegz)
    The average Brit doesn't give a **** about that, the average Brit sees America as that thing which lied to get us to go to war and spend billions of pounds only to get a load of pissed off Muslims and dead soldiers. Lots of people would gladly leave NATO and spend less on the military :rofl:
    I am a Muslim and must say I agree they are wrong to just piss off Muslim countries. (To be clear, I am against terrorism like all proper Muslims so that doesn't bother me).

But Britain will be in huge debt otherwise. We have Germany and America helping us now. Then we will go from 2 economic superpowers to 0.

When in Scotland we had our independence referendum, thousands of people said they were going to leave if Scotland left. So many people at school were leaving and I mean heaps. The same will happen now. We are not able to survive on our own. No saying it will be harrd, I am saying we can't.

ReputationRep:
    The implied question answered by the 'Experts' is: if we leave the EU, will we see immediate positive or negative economic performance? i think you'd be hard pressed to find a Leave voter who would say absolutely, it will take some time to overcome the uncertainty in the market, that will not just apply to the UK market but the EU market also. But that is a price most rational people would be willing to pay in exchange for long term potential.

If the question is, will Britain be better off in 20 years from now socially and economically outside the EU you would see the expert opinion becoming far more controversial and diverse.

The question is a straw man posed by 'remain supporters' to imply that the rationality to do so is without question when it completely neglects long term gains and scope for achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Economists all over the world agree that leaving the EU is bad for our economy - "they don't know what they're talking about!!"
    The financial organisations have something to gain by staying in the EU, so they're mostly going to be biased about the economic results. This video, although long shows that there probably won't be much difference in the economy and there's even a likelyhood of us succeeding in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW0LEtW_6sIThe guy in the video finds that these studies use worse case scenarios and assume tarrifs go up and trade decreases unreasonably.

Scientists all over the world tell us leaving the EU will be bad for science, technology and the environment - "selfish!!!"
    Their argument is that they will lose EU funding (which is a pain in the arse to get anyway) and that they won't be able to collaborate with the EU. The leave campaign claims that if we leave, we can use the money that we send to the EU and the money we get told how to spend investing in science. They also claim that they will not lose EU grants and moving out of the European Union is not the same as leaving the scientific community. If you look at contributions to the Large Hadron Collider, non EU countries in Europe contributed a significant amount to the funding of it and are welcome to use it.

Leaders of every country of any significance telling us we'll be less powerful - "grrrrr but we're the mighty British Empire!!!!"
    EU countries want us to stay because we fund a large amount of the EU. The other countries trade with the EU and not directly with us, so it's easier for them on their behalf to trade with the EU directly and the UK indirectly. But if we do leave then they wont just stop trading with us because it's shooting themselves in the foot.

My reason for voting out is democracy and fair immigration. The EU is very undemocratic and although ours is bad too, it's not as bad and it's much easier to change our system than it is to change the EU system. Also, I think all immigrants should have equal opportunity. It shouldn't be easier for someone to migrate because of where they're from.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.