2017 Uni of Bristol applicants mega-thread

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Physics
    2A* 6A - GCSE
    AABC -AS
    A*A*A - A2 predictions

good ref and ps chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Have a look at the 'Can't Make It?' page :
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/visit/

360 degree tours of departments and details of other chances to visit the Uni.
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I got 1A*, 5As and 5Bs at GCSE (top 10% of school) and then AAAB at AS. Would I be one of the 20-something% to not get an offer for Econ because they look at GCSE and not AS?
    If you meet the minimum entry requirements, your PS will be read.

Its your PS that determines if you get an offer or not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply for either economics or economics with politics

GCSEs - 5 A* 4 A
    AS - AAAC
    This year I'm taking maths, history and politics and I'm predicted A*A*A* but not sure that's gonna happen aha but I love Bristol a lot! Bath is nice too

ReputationRep:
    Course Applying: Theoretical Physics MSci
    AS/A2 subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (AS)
    GCSE grades: AAAAAABBB
    AS grades: ABBB
    A2 predicted: A*AA
    Supra-curriculars: Sutton Trust summer school, Attended 2 maths seminars, Maths & Physics tutoring.

ReputationRep:
    Course Applying: Aerospace Engineering MEngA2 subjects: Physics, Maths, Computer ScienceAS grades: ABC (Respectively)A2 predicted: A*AA

ReputationRep:
    I went to the open day on 9th sept!

I really liked the uni! I'm from plymouth as it happens. I think the city is overall amazing! I loved the atmosphere that the uni gave too. The only thing that has put me off is the layout of the campus... Nothing seems to be together, you have to walk to different buildings within the city centre (like the wills memorial building). And also, the SU seems to be miles away from anything!

I'm interested in studying law and will be applying to bristol as one of my options for 2017

I'm heading back to bristol on October 8th to visit Bristol UWE. From what I've seen Online, I'm liking UWE more... haven't been there in person yet so haven't made a decision for sure!

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I reading the Bristol Economics admissions statement and it says the application is 90% grades and 10% PS. So does this mean if you have top GCSE grades you are practically guaranteed an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    Okay so I reading the Bristol Economics admissions statement and it says the application is 90% grades and 10% PS. So does this mean if you have top GCSE grades you are practically guaranteed an offer?
    It is "Academics" which is not just GCSEs. Predicted grades will be important too.

Bristol has a 76% offer rate for Economics anyway.
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-l100-10323

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying there!!
    English Literature which requires A*AA
    Got AABE at AS
    A*AAABBBBBB at GCSE
    I'm predicted AAA. This is my only high risk option so I don't have my heart set on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It is "Academics" which is not just GCSEs. Predicted grades will be important too.

Bristol has a 76% offer rate for Economics anyway.
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-l100-10323
    well I'm predicted 4A*s so I guess that just means I'm more likely to get in. I want to apply to at least 1 university where I can be 90% confident I will get a place. I'm paranoid about getting no offers bc I'm only applying to competitive unis, but I don't want to apply for any lower down ones.

ReputationRep:
    well I'm predicted 4A*s so I guess that just means I'm more likely to get in. I want to apply to at least 1 university where I can be 90% confident I will get a place. I'm paranoid about getting no offers bc I'm only applying to competitive unis, but I don't want to apply for any lower down ones.
    No one can say you are guaranteed... but let's say you are very likely

Most people get 4 or 5 offers (even applying to "higher" universities).

It's Economics, not Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I got 1A*, 5As and 5Bs at GCSE (top 10% of school) and then AAAB at AS. Would I be one of the 20-something% to not get an offer for Econ because they look at GCSE and not AS?
    If you have all the required subjects/grades, your PS will be read. Its your PS that determines if you get an offer or not.

ReputationRep:
    No one can say you are guaranteed... but let's say you are very likely

Most people get 4 or 5 offers (even applying to "higher" universities).

It's Economics, not Medicine.
    Yeah I know I'm being crazy paranoid... I don't even know anyone who didn't get an offer ANYWHERE but idk i just get paranoid seeing people on TSR with straight A*s and perfect grades who get rejected and then I'm like "what if that happens to me... but everywhere i apply?" and i know its crazy but i guess it'll just give me some peace if i can convince myself that I'm guaranteed an offer somewhere.

lool i just sounded so crazy sorry

ReputationRep:
    people on TSR with straight A*s and perfect grades who get rejected
    ...because their Personal Statements were rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    people on TSR with straight A*s and perfect grades who get rejected
    From Oxbridge/LSE perhaps, but not elsewhere for Economics:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4321806

ReputationRep:
    From Oxbridge/LSE perhaps, but not elsewhere for Economics:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4321806
    Well, I am applying to Oxbridge and LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am applying to Oxbridge and LSE.
    and 3 others.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! Kind of obsessed with these threads lol!
    My top choice wouldve Bristol for Law however, I didn't due that well at AS ACC due to a lot of personal issues that have occurred from secondary school until present...
    My father has been diagnosed with bipolar and mild schizophrenia since i was about 3. Due to the episodes (breakdowns) he has every now and then he often causes scenes at any of the schools i have been to. I was always told i have been emotionally abused by some of the events taken place in my presence. The break down of the relationship between me and my mother caused me to become homeless for a few weeks leading up to my AS exams and a few days after exams. Im not sure on whether to apply for extenuating circumstances or not but these incidents have effected me greatly. Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pndomo)
    Hi guys! Kind of obsessed with these threads lol!
    My top choice wouldve Bristol for Law however, I didn't due that well at AS ACC due to a lot of personal issues that have occurred from secondary school until present...
    My father has be3ndiagnosed with bipolar and mild schizophrenia since i was about 3. Due to the episodes (breakdowns) he has every now and then he offend causes seens at any of the schools i have been to. I was always told i have been emotionally abused by some of the events taken place in my presence. The break down of the relationship between me and my mother caused me to become homeless for a few weeks leading up to my AS exams and a few days after exams. Im not sure on whether to apply for extenuating circumstances or not but these incidents have effected me greatly. Thanks guys!
    It depends on your predicted, i heard that Bristol don't really look at AS Grades. Just predicted/personal statement. But if you can mention that in your personal statement. They will most likely let you

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.