Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I lose 3 stone in 3 months? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smile43)
    I know it sounds ambitious but im going to go on a fitness hype from 24 th june to 18 september i want to lose at least three stones before uni starts . Im 5, 10 and overweight i normally go gum and swim and will obviously carry on going after the period i want to lose fat ,tone up and build muscle.
    Is it doable and any tips and advise
    60 lbs? Nope x3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Here, use this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

ReputationRep:
    It's all about eating the right stuff at the right time and giving your body what it needs. Eat high protein and high fat (good fats e.g avocado) when not exercising and high calorie meals after exercising.

Also when exercising do high intensity interval training (HIIT). This is basically exercising in small intervals at high intensities for around 15-20 minutes. This sort of exercise helps you shed fat and is much more effective than low tempo exercise done for an hour.

Google The Bodycoach - he's got exercises on his YouTube account and meals on his Instagram. I also recommend buying his 'Lean in 15' book as that has many recipes and also an introduction on how his approach to loosing weight works. Not sure if 3 stone in 3 months is effective, however the plan The Bodycoach runs is three months long and some of the results are amazing. It's often not so much about the exact weight but how you feel and look. Good luck!

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Unless youve reinvented thrermodynamics, weight loss is about calories.
    Nutrition isnt weight loss, although it has its role to play.
    You dont have to have low carb low fat.
    Um yes it does have a large part. Proteins, carbohydrates and fats all have different energy contents per unit mass and quite frankly eating a similar calorie content of eg protein vs fat, you'll find that the mass of the product is significantly different. Metabolic rates take a part also.
    I'm not saying that eating fewer calories a day wont bring about weight loss, however it mind not be as quick as calories (and your thermodynamics? I'm not sure why you're using enthalpy changes in such a biological context with a variety of variables and conditions which will quite frankly affect the predicted energy release?) predict especially due to things like water retention because of the salt content in your food. You're guaranteed to lose weight faster eating 1000 calories of fruit than eating 1000 calories of maccies a day.
    You don't have to have low fat low carb and a lot of people use the dumb slogan "carb up". Sure, if you're already at your goal weight and want to keep it up then do your exercise and eat all the carbs you want, but not when you're trying to lose a lot of weight in a short space of time.
    (Speaking from experience also, few years ago I lost 2 stone between September and December eating a mostly fruit and veg diet with some chicken and turkey. Afterwards I started eating more treats and weight loss stopped abruptly)

ReputationRep:
    So why are you telling her to do them? She wont lose weight any quicker that way.
    Why are you arguing with everyone on here who isn't pro calorie deficit dieting?

You can lose weight in many other ways too. It took me longer bcos i had weeks where I'd binge and I've put a stone back on already lmao (out of my own stupidity)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    Why are you arguing with everyone on here who isn't pro calorie deficit dieting?

You can lose weight in many other ways too. It took me longer bcos i had weeks where I'd binge and I've put a stone back on already lmao (out of my own stupidity)

Probably because misinformation about weight loss is why so many people fail to lose weight and get frustrated and give up.

also there aren't many other ways to do it. It's calorie deficit or no weight will be lost, what foods you eat is completely up to what the person wants. But at the core, it needs to be at a calorie deficit for weight loss to be achieved.

It's a very basic concept and bare bones basic biology and not a single shred of evidence or scientific research has found a fat loss method to occur in any other way than via calorific deficit.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Probably because misinformation about weight loss is why so many people fail to lose weight and get frustrated and give up.

also there aren't many other ways to do it. It's calorie deficit or no weight will be lost, what foods you eat is completely up to what the person wants. But at the core, it needs to be at a calorie deficit for weight loss to be achieved.

It's a very basic concept and bare bones basic biology and not a single shred of evidence or scientific research has found a fat loss method to occur in any other way than via calorific deficit.
    You would think so, but again people believe they have reinvented wieght loss.

Its about the deficit.

(Speaking from experience also, few years ago I lost 2 stone between September and December eating a mostly fruit and veg diet with some chicken and turkey. Afterwards I started eating more treats and weight loss stopped abruptly)
    Because you were at a calorie deficit, then moved to maintenance.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by samina_ay)

Because it boils down to how much you eat or dont eat compared to how much you burn. You are losing weight because you are at deficit and gaining it becayse you are at surplus.

What you eat has to do with nutrition and in certain circumstances it cna help you stick to your diet plus has health benefits.

Measure and weigh your food, so you know you are at deficit.
    Dont go too severe or you will binge.

ReputationRep:
    If i eat 1500 and excersise 1800 which i k ow is a lot but do it in 3 intervals of 600 kal spaced out in a day
    I have a deficit of 300
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If i eat 1500 and excersise 1800 which i k ow is a lot but do it in 3 intervals of 600 kal spaced out in a day
    I have a deficit of 300
    No. It doesnt work like that.

What are your stats.

Age, weight and height.

How many times have you bruned 1800 additional calories in a day? That would be 3-4hrs exercise.

ReputationRep:
    Hey that seems really good , guessing you made it ??

ReputationRep:
    No. It doesnt work like that.

What are your stats.

Age, weight and height.

How many times have you bruned 1800 additional calories in a day? That would be 3-4hrs exercise.
    5ft 10 well really close to 11
    95 kg

I burn 215 kal in 15 mins just on the eliptical on level 15

I know its 3-4 hra excersise but if i did an hour / half in the morn about 2 hours of class and then swim

ReputationRep:
    95 kg

I know its 3-4 hra excersise but if i did an hour / half in the morn about 2 hours of class and then swim
    You can do it with the right kind of exercise. Moreover, if you limit your diet to just non fatty, but healthy food, you can do it I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    You can do it with the right kind of exercise. Moreover, if you limit your diet to just non fatty, but healthy food, you can do it I think
    Yh well im planning on cutting out dairy not completley just drinking milk and cheese etc
    I eat healthy already its just i eat too much of healthy and well yano its all about in moderation
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    95 kg

So your basic maint calories are roughly 2170 calories a day. You could reduce that down to 1500, some people go as low as 1200, but I think its a bit low, boring and dull.

That would require you to burn 830 calories net each day. You should really eat some of those calories back. Normally its half, so that would get you about 3-4hrs exercise every day and no rest.

Elipticals are the least accurate machines for measuring calories.
    Swimming is pretty good exercise.

YOu should note that weight loss is non linear and it slows down the lower you get to target. You will get good loss for the first week or two as you lose water weight, but then it will slow. It will be hard to keep up 3-4hrs solid exercise up every day and imo its overambitious. If you dont eat some of that food back then you wont have enough energy to do the exercise.

Anyway try it and see how far you get. For all sorts of reasons I think its too ambitious and I wouldnt even try that.

ReputationRep:
    So your basic maint calories are roughly 2170 calories a day. You could reduce that down to 1500, some people go as low as 1200, but I think its a bit low, boring and dull.

That would require you to burn 830 calories net each day. You should really eat some of those calories back. Normally its half, so that would get you about 3-4hrs exercise every day and no rest.

Elipticals are the least accurate machines for measuring calories.
    Swimming is pretty good exercise.

YOu should note that weight loss is non linear and it slows down the lower you get to target. You will get good loss for the first week or two as you lose water weight, but then it will slow. It will be hard to keep up 3-4hrs solid exercise up every day and imo its overambitious. If you dont eat some of that food back then you wont have enough energy to do the exercise.

Anyway try it and see how far you get. For all sorts of reasons I think its too ambitious and I wouldnt even try that.
    Hey thanks for the feedback
    Yh tbh i swim way more than i do gym . Ive cut my eating to 1200 kal before and got a lil obsessed with it id be ok for a week then binge one day then rego i think 1500 is ok

I know it gets harder the closer you get to the goal weight reaistically i think ill only be able to lose 2 stone and thats a stretch i set 3 as a extra goal to make me go further if anything i want lose the weight and tone up ! Im defo going to cut eating down and increase my excersise although i think its eating at tho mo that plays a major part

What do you think is more achiveable? And quick question are qualified in nutrition or something you know alot about it. Ive tried to educate myself so i know its a stretch but its counting calories that sting me ive done it before on myfitnesspal but that requires you to know the info packets and labels etc whih doesnt help as most of the time i make from scratch , how do you weigh food and measure the kal?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    1lb a week is a good rule of thumb and up to 2 if you are ambitious. Any more is a bonus. You might do 3ln a week for a few weeks, but you will hit bumps and a 1500 deficit is quite full on. The other problem is keeping it off.

When you talk about tone you really just need to go and lift some weights. People hate the word tone becayse its a bit meaningless. the fat sits on top of your body like a blanket, thats what you are trying to get rid of, whilst preserving muscle underneath. More musle or rather less body fat will give you better shape.

Just go and rejoin MFP and use the forums, the regulars will keep you straight.

If you make your own food then all the info is still on the database and you only have to enter it once before its added to your personal list. It calculates the calories for you or you can use the recipe builder. If you wnat to be effective you count calories to ensure you are at a consistent deficit.

You will find it easier if you get a healthy nutrutious diet and hit at least your basic macros.

If you want to take it seriously, learn, do your research, plan, be consistent and then commit. Knowing what you are doing (research) helps.

If you have access to a pool then an hours swimming a day would burn a lot of calories. Walking is also easy to fit in.

ReputationRep:
    You can, but you shouldn't.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Btw if you lose half that amount you will really notice the difference and then you cna continue it at uni.

ReputationRep:
    fasting is your best bet :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.