Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What are your favourite inventions in history?

ReputationRep:
    TSR

ReputationRep:
    The electric fan, i wouldn't know how else i would sleep at night.

I imagine them inventing some hovering chairs that would be pretty cool...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    What are your favourite inventions from history?

Do you have any predictions for future inventions? It has to be realistic and invented in your lifetime. :holmes:
    The steam Engine by James Watt. This invention initiated the industrialization in Great Britain and worldwide later on. Did we people have achieve this high standard of technology without it? hard to say.*

For the future I believe in nanorobots which will make a great contribution in medicine to cure diseases which are hardly or not to cure at the moment. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Picking one is so hard! I do love how portable things have become though.

Having just come back from Scotland, I did love just stepping on to a plane and being there in 90 minutes. (By train - 10 bloody hours!)
    What were you doing, getting a train from Aberdeen to Penzance or something?! Most trains Edinburgh to Scotland are about 4-5 hours

ReputationRep:
    Favourite invention is a water purifier, Helps the poor and helps the future incase of emergencies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    What were you doing, getting a train from Aberdeen to Penzance or something?! Most trains Edinburgh to Scotland are about 4-5 hours
    Plymouth to Glasgow. Ok, I did have to get a train and a bus to get to Exeter Airport. But still.

Did anyone see The gadget Show on Friday? They did a countdown of their 20 favourite inventions.

ReputationRep:
    The internet (genuinely)

Wireless telegraphy.

ReputationRep:
    The printing press & paperback book.

Books bring to us our most inexhaustible supply of magic. Of fiction and fantasy, old tomes and historical texts, the latest log tables or a thousand thousand years of knowledge. This world would be very bleak if not for the beauty and wonder that literature can bring to our lives.

ReputationRep:
    Best inventions: Writing, printing, internet.

I would like to see a working spaceship for interplanetary flights.

ReputationRep:
    Shoes are pretty decent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big fan of pants. They keep it all together nicely.

In the future I am expecting more comfortable pants.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite invention has to be the glasses. I'd hate to live in a blurry world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    My favourite invention has to be the glasses. I'd hate to live in a blurry world!
    Right. They are a blessing for a lot of people. An invention again which goes without saying, so it is forgotten so easily in threads like this one.

ReputationRep:
    No love for the humble transistor? Almost all modern tech would be completely impossible without them, they are the foundation of the modern era. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    No love for the humble transistor? Almost all modern tech would be completely impossible without them, they are the foundation of the modern era. :yep:
    There are a lot which can be mentioned. And everyone of us has a different view on importance. Moreover, without industrialization, it would not have come to this high technology standard in presence. Industrialization was the foundation stone and an invention what initiated this period was the steam engine. So I regarding steam engine more important in terms of for the steps into a technological and period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    I like smartphones. I couldn't have imaged how amazing phones would be when I was younger and had one of those legendary Nokias. Now you can do so much on one device, it's so useful
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    dick pics

ReputationRep:
    Just Eat app.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.