The Student Room Group

Why does the USA allow its citizens to own guns?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
You don't necessarily need to directly ban possession or buy back, you simply need to make it illegal to buy new guns without a licence, eventually numbers will drop significantly, especially if you make it hard to do anything beyond trivial maintenance without a licence.

Perhaps something that wants looking into is how firearms were make illegal in European countries when things were tightened up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

300 million+ will never just go away, in the US it is basically at the point they have more guns than people.

Even if you completely demolished the gun industry overnight and stopped all gun sales.

Firearms need very little maintenance outside of cleaning and oiling unless you are shooting them 24/7. For example you can quite easily find videos on youtube with collectors shooting rifles from the Boer war that are completely original and serviceable 110+ years on
Original post by remiremi
300 million+ will never just go away, in the US it is basically at the point they have more guns than people.

Even if you completely demolished the gun industry overnight and stopped all gun sales.

Firearms need very little maintenance outside of cleaning and oiling unless you are shooting them 24/7. For example you can quite easily find videos on youtube with collectors shooting rifles from the Boer war that are completely original and serviceable 110+ years on

What has to be said is how well maintained were those old rifles? You also get basically no moving parts and things generally being built a lot better back then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Raizelcadres
I have no knowledge about America's law on owning guns. I was just wondering why don't they just ban them, wouldn't this reduce the amount of gun shootings and innocent people being killed? If anyone could tell me why, I would appreciate it :biggrin:

You can have guns in the UK too...The difference with the USA is the lack of background checks -- especially in "gun shows", "child rifles", and the kind of guns available in most states (semi-automatic rifles are the main problem).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending