Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR's Big EU Referendum- Audience Discussion @19:30 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    I would advise people to take a long read of what you see above. Ask yourself this. Its hard enough as it is right now to get young people involved into politics. How hard is it going to be when the EU commission sounds like a Jigsaw puzzle which takes a A level maths student to understand?

Democracy should be simple so its available to everyone of any IQ.
    This is entirely why the leave campaign is useless.

ReputationRep:
    According to the Guardian the number of people who have to work on minimum wage will double over the next 20 years. This is great news for company bosses and shareholders. This is fuelled by workers from post 2004 accession countries happily wanting to work for minimum wage as it is double the minimum wage in their own countries. Work here for a year, live 10 to a house then go back with 2 years worth of pay. This drives up rents and lowers the wages that bosses will offer. The 2 speed EU is broken. A vote for remain will condemn our young people to a life on minimum wage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THEqualitystreet)
    According to the Guardian the number of people who have to work on minimum wage will double over the next 20 years. This is great news for company bosses and shareholders. This is fuelled by workers from post 2004 accession countries happily wanting to work for minimum wage as it is double the minimum wage in their own countries. Work here for a year, live 10 to a house then go back with 2 years worth of pay. This drives up rents and lowers the wages that bosses will offer. The 2 speed EU is broken. A vote for remain will condemn our young people to a life on minimum wage.
    I've put it to the panel. I take it you will be voting leave on Thursday

ReputationRep:
    2 minutes folks then we must move on

ReputationRep:
    And we move onto our final topic- Future proposals and reform

‘The European Union has make future proposals, including allowing Turkey and other Baltic nations to join which could cause issues for free movement of people, yet has other future reforms which could benefit our nation’ How far would you agree with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    And we move onto our final topic- Future proposals and reform

‘The European Union has make future proposals, including allowing Turkey and other Baltic nations to join which could cause issues for free movement of people, yet has other future reforms which could benefit our nation’ How far would you agree with this?

Europe is a declining economy in the world. In 20 years imagine how many more Eurozone crisis's there could have been. Imagine our sovereignty being further eroded by further EU expansionism and part of our army under the command of EU commissioners - being implemented from next week.

I have never used immigration as a major reason to leave the EU (although a non-discriminatory policy makes more sense) but am very concerned about tying ourselves to an imperialist superstate which is declining. Just know you can vote leave with the confidence our country is good enough to govern ourselves!

Thank you everyone for organising this debate, it's been fun to watch!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james813)
    Europe is a declining economy in the world. In 20 years imagine how many more Eurozone crisis's there could have been. Imagine our sovereignty being further eroded by further EU expansionism and part of our army under the command of EU commissioners - being implemented from next week.

I have never used immigration as a major reason to leave the EU (although a non-discriminatory policy makes more sense) but am very concerned about tying ourselves to an imperialist superstate which is declining. Just know you can vote leave with the confidence our country is good enough to govern ourselves!

Thank you everyone for organising this debate, it's been fun to watch!!
    You've debated and been actively involved a lot tonight James, so thank you for that. Its clear you have a big interest in politics; which is seemingly something you enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    EU parties state their presidential candidates before the elections. There were televised debates last EU election for the presidential candidates. This is a lot like saying that you don't vote for the prime minister in the general election but your representative. Parties at the national level share policy platforms at the EU.

But the UK commissioner is generally appointed as one of the prime ministers best mates, and the British public can't transparently vote him out. The EU parliament is all very nice with PR, but can't propose legislation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    First thing I'm going to say in regards to finance is that the £350 million figure is absolute bull and the leave campaign insists on using it. The number has been shown as incorrect a number of times and the only reason that I believe that it is still being used is for pure scaremongering, attempting to get gullible voters to use that £350 million, along with the immigration stuff, to vote for a leave. The campaign shouldn't be for scaremongering, it should be for real facts, like the actual amount that the UK spends to be part of the EU.
    No it's not.

£350 million (£385 million) is the gross figure.
    UK rebate (which is however in jeopardy) bring it down to £245 million.
    The EU budget which is spent on us brings it down to £168 million, but we don't get to decide how that compensation is spent, and it comes with EU propaganda.
    And we still pay £168 million into it per week.

Considering all the other things like the UK rebate/correction being in jeopardy and that we have no authority over how the EU budget spent on us is spent, and that that money that comes back comes with an EU label; propaganda, that [gross] figure of £350 million is quite accurate, considering all forms of compensation aren't genuine.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey is not going to join. Poland, Hungary et all will veto it even if the UK doesn't. It is undiplomatic, regarding Turkeys assistance with migration to outright reject Turkish membership which is why Cameron and Juncker have been coy.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone for getting involved. This thread will remain open should people wish to continue the debate.

[The panel thread will close at 20:45]

Thursday is a big day, we get to decide on our future. Make sure you get out and vote [If you don't want to vote/ can't be bothered, its better to go and spoil your ballot rather than not vote]
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Turkey is not going to join. Poland, Hungary et all will veto it even if the UK doesn't. It is undiplomatic, regarding Turkeys assistance with migration to outright reject Turkish membership which is why Cameron and Juncker have been coy.
    If they're never going to join then how come we're spending so much on helping them join and why was it so hard for Cameron to say "yes, I would veto it" rather than beating about the bush and effectively admitting that he wouldn't veto it?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I missed anyone's Q's. Please feel free to quote me for a response to any outstanding issues, and check out my EU threads (1, 2)

Thanks adam9317 for chairing the debate :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Was just about to post this on the topic, and then it was locked lol! So I will post it here!
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Scotland simply is not bothered enough by it, most polling shows that they would not see it as reason for another referendum, the odd one just shows it doing so, and there is little shift in the polls on independence, which is the SNPs basis for calling another referendum, the criteria will not be met. But if we suppose there is a referendum on Scottish independence, even then it succeeding is unlikely, even in a more financially sound position Scotland remained, and too few Scots care passionately enough about the EU to change that.
    Personally I disagree. I think a Brexit against Scotland's will does warrant another Independence referendum. It shows that Scotland think different to the rest of The UK, and therefore they will argue they need to be independent. I think a vote to leave runs the risk of a potential break-up of The Union (And I am not walking about The European Union! lol)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    Was just about to post this on the topic, and then it was locked lol! So I will post it here!
    Personally I disagree. I think a Brexit against Scotland's will does warrant another Independence referendum. It shows that Scotland think different to the rest of The UK, and therefore they will argue they need to be independent. I think a vote to leave runs the risk of a potential break-up of The Union (And I am not walking about The European Union! lol)
    Which is why Scots say they don't care and the SNP say they will only call for a referendum when the Scottish people want one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This has been a brilliant debate to read, thank-you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?Hannah)
    Glad you enjoyed it Hannah

Has it swayed your vote at all, or what way do you hope to vote come Thursday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    We have a functioning country? Genuinely, what is wrong with the country that we live in, we do not have nearly as many migrants as countries like Germany? We should be far better off than any of these, so more than able to cope with more migrants.

What does this have to do with anything? We are not a dog that needs a rest everytime it has a hard day, we are one of the most powerful countries in the entire world and simply taking a year out to take a breather is just going to make things worse.

Whose religion does this exactly violate?
    The problem with the UK is our financial sector over shadows our real economy. So the numbers on our GDP don't really mean anything.

You judge a country by the available housing, services and opportunities.

Britain has plenty of opportunities but services are in decline and available housing is next to non-existant.

You could play poltics, get the Labour party into power and start this massive house building program but I am afraid Jeremy Corbyn is in favor of a completely different solution than taxing the rich. He wants to do stupid money printing instead and potentially devalue & destroy Britain's Pound Sterling currency in the process.

So the only solution is to decrease the pace of immigration and I am afraid the only real choice is to leave the European Union.

=============

I am afraid being searched by a Dog violates Islam. Dogs are viewed as unclean and so border control forces using search Dogs tend to upset human rights advocates.

But this poltical correctness racket goes as far to deny blind people who have guide dogs from getting on buses because it might offend the Muslim driver.

Source:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ogs-board.html

I am afraid the EU court of human rights is allowing stupid stuff like this to happen. We need a common sense approach to human rights rather than having to make allowances for those who oppress others and hide behind all the bureacracy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ?Hannah)
    If you don't mind me asking, has it sweated you at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Glad you enjoyed it Hannah

Has it swayed your vote at all, or what way do you hope to vote come Thursday?
    Well, I am not old enough to vote myself. But if I was of the legal age, I think I would lean towards voting leave. Before reading this debate I was undecided.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.