Don't read TSR, it's full of left wing people

ReputationRep:
    Vote stay Name:  image.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  22.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    Trust me

ReputationRep:
    Of course the UK should stay in the EU. I am bypassing all of the arguments about the economy, because it is quite obvious that the UK is benefiting from being part of such a large market.

But the core of all the Leave campaign's arguments is immigration. And although my view is that mass immigration is a real issue and it has to be dealt with, leaving the EU is such a ridiculous and knee-jerk reaction. The Syrian crisis has been a world event unprecedented in recent history, creating the biggest influx of refugees and migrants since WWII. Europe was entirely unprepared for that, and it did not handle it well - not for the refugees, and not for the native European populations either. It is now struggling to find solutions while we are all trying to deal with the ramifications. To be fair, again, the scope and extent of the crisis was extraordinary and unprecedented. So the Leave camp's response to that situation is to just ditch Europe...? Everyone has some responsibility here, you don't just turn your back to your only allies at the worst world crisis in recent history because you don't think you can take from them what you want to at all moments. This is the same attitude as the chick who leaves her boyfriend because he lost his job... At a time when western values are being attacked world-wide, we should not turn our backs to our allies. There are common values underpinning the European Union despite its cynical financial wrapping.

And it does not even follow that by exiting the EU the UK would have an easier time with mass immigration. Because when it comes to immigration, what is often overlooked is that the UK has been paying the price for its colonial past, much more than for its European present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow 03)
    Of course the UK should stay in the EU. I am bypassing all of the arguments about the economy, because it is quite obvious that the UK is benefiting from being part of such a large market.

But the core of all the Leave campaign's arguments is immigration. And although my view is that mass immigration is a real issue and it has to be dealt with, leaving the EU is such a ridiculous and knee-jerk reaction. The Syrian crisis has been a world event unprecedented in recent history, creating the biggest influx of refugees and migrants since WWII. Europe was entirely unprepared for that, and it did not handle it well - not for the refugees, and not for the native European populations either. It is now struggling to find solutions while we are all trying to deal with the ramifications. To be fair, again, the scope and extent of the crisis was extraordinary and unprecedented. So the Leave camp's response to that situation is to just ditch Europe...? Everyone has some responsibility here, you don't just turn your back to your only allies at the worst world crisis in recent history because you don't think you can take from them what you want to at all moments. This is the same attitude as the chick who leaves her boyfriend because he lost his job... At a time when western values are being attacked world-wide, we should not turn our backs to our allies. There are common values underpinning the European Union despite its cynical financial wrapping.

And it does not even follow that by exiting the EU the UK would have an easier time with mass immigration. Because when it comes to immigration, what is often overlooked is that the UK has been paying the price for its colonial past, much more than for its European present.
    Brexit would help to reduce low-skilled, but legal, immigration from Eastern Europe. It wouldn't change anything regarding low-skilled immigration from Africa and Asia, illegal or not, which is however the main problem.

There are some advantages for leaving, but I don't think the current government is capable of handling Brexit. After 6 years in charge, there is still a £50 billion deficit...

I don't think that a referendum was the proper way to leave the EU as it puts the government in a hurry to reach trade deals with other countries in a very short amount of time (2 years), which is almost impossible.

Retrospectively, Cameron should have organised primaries among the Conservative party for the 2015 elections (or 2020) and put the EU membership debate on the fore. Thus, if a Tory leader favouring Brexit had been elected by Tory sympathisers, he would have had 5 years to properly organise the separation with votes in the parliament, rather than being under strong pressure of the markets as after a referendum backing Brexit. He probably didn't expected it to be so tight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Brexit would help to reduce low-skilled, but legal, immigration from Eastern Europe. It wouldn't change anything regarding low-skilled immigration from Africa and Asia, illegal or not, which is however the main problem.

There are some advantages for leaving, but I don't think the current government is capable of handling Brexit. After 6 years in charge, there is still a £50 billion deficit...

I don't think that a referendum was the proper way to leave the EU as it puts the government in a hurry to reach trade deals with other countries in a very short amount of time (2 years), which is almost impossible.

Retrospectively, Cameron should have organised primaries among the Conservative party for the 2015 elections (or 2020) and put the EU membership debate on the fore. Thus, if a Tory leader favouring Brexit had been elected by Tory sympathisers, he would have had 5 years to properly organise the separation with votes in the parliament, rather than being under strong pressure of the markets as after a referendum backing Brexit. He probably didn't expected it to be so tight.
    I agree with much of your nuanced analysis although I cannot see that an issue of such importance which is basically a step into the unknown for the UK should not go to a referendum.

But following all your analysis, what would you have voted if you could vote in this referendum? I'd be curious to know

ReputationRep:
    I agree with much of your nuanced analysis although I cannot see that an issue of such importance which is basically a step into the unknown for the UK should not go to a referendum.

But following all your analysis, what would you have voted if you could vote in this referendum? I'd be curious to know
    Because you need to prepare the settlement before actually divorcing.

If the EU membership was clearly debated in a general election with one party IN the other OUT, a referendum would be useless, but the tight deadline wouldn't be so tight for the government.

I would vote remain; the country and the government aren't fit for Brexit atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enui)
    It really scares me that in just 2 days a decision that will greatly affect my future will go ahead and I'm not old enough to vote on it.
    Same here, but now the votes are in and there's nothing we can do anymore but wait and hope

ReputationRep:
    When will we know the result?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Because you need to prepare the settlement before actually divorcing.

If the EU membership was clearly debated in a general election with one party IN the other OUT, a referendum would be useless, but the tight deadline wouldn't be so tight for the government.

I would vote remain; the country and the government aren't fit for Brexit atm.
    Ha, I knew it! You have caveated it to death, but deep down you are one of us (sort of...)

ReputationRep:
    Ha, I knew it! You have caveated it to death, but deep down you are one of us (sort of...)
    I may change my mind if the situation gets better though.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me UK shouldn't turn there backs on the EU, the eu needs us and we need them leaving would ruin everything

ReputationRep:
    Most jobs like plumber etc are done by Eastern Europeans we need more to build indestries etc exiting would be stupid

ReputationRep:
    By tommorow

ReputationRep:
    Trust

ReputationRep:
    True leaving with corrupt the government

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.