Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S16 – Departmental Review from the Secretary of State for Defence Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Ideally, I'd like it to be as close to 0 as possible but I recognise that some money should be put into defence but £39bn is an awful lot of money. Is all of the defence spending really necessary?

I see.
    If it was not for a £39bn defence budget there would be no Britain for hospitals, schools, infrastructure, and welfare to exist in, there are individuals in the world committed to wanting to destroy everything Britain stands for, the £39bn is an inadequate amount to firmly defend Britain, British territories overseas, and to conduct the foreign policy the British government wishes to conduct: Britain should aim for regional hegemony.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Upgrading a fleet of battle tanks is not adequate when other countries are building new tanks using new materials, new technology, new weapons, new engines, and new designs, upgrading the fleet saves money but it does not give the best tank on the battlefield which is what the country who invented of main battle tanks should aim to have.
    Wrong - hence the term 'upgrade'.

This is not 'refurbishing' like the US are currently doing with their M1A1 Abrams, which is a bad idea.

Upgrading allows all of these things to be added: "new materials, new technology, new weapons, new engines, and new designs" without the more time-consuming and exponentially more costly effort of designing a whole new platform.

For example, the Army have considered upgrading the machine through most notably replacing the 120mm rifled gun with a smoothbore cannon, which is the standard fit throughout the rest of NATO and proved to be more effective in the CLIP programme.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The Challenger upgrades are to extend it's lifespan while they sort out a replacement, not a replacement to a replacementPosted from TSR Mobile
    No, wrong also.

Deciding that purchasing a new main battle tank would be too expensive, the British Army will stick with what has long been its plan A and proceed with a Challenger 2 life extension project.

"As it stands, the manufacture and costs of a new main battle tank make it unlikely that the Army would seek this option." MoD Spokesman

It's an upgrade for the long term, not a short-term solution until they can find a long-term replacement.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    there are individuals in the world committed to wanting to destroy everything Britain stands for
    Mainly either it getting it's nose stuck in other countries' business e.g. Saddam or when its policy is "make the world England"

the £39bn is an inadequate amount to...conduct the foreign policy the British government wishes to conduct
    Interventionist neo-colonialism? Aye - but we aren't all up for that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If it was not for a £39bn defence budget there would be no Britain for hospitals, schools, infrastructure, and welfare to exist in, there are individuals in the world committed to wanting to destroy everything Britain stands for, the £39bn is an inadequate amount to firmly defend Britain, British territories overseas, and to conduct the foreign policy the British government wishes to conduct: Britain should aim for regional hegemony.
    I understand that unfortunately we do need a defence budget but I just think £39 billion is too much money.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Wrong - hence the term 'upgrade'.

This is not 'refurbishing' like the US are currently doing with their M1A1 Abrams, which is a bad idea.

Upgrading allows all of these things to be added: "new materials, new technology, new weapons, new engines, and new designs" without the more time-consuming and exponentially more costly effort of designing a whole new platform.

For example, the Army have considered upgrading the machine through most notably replacing the 120mm rifled gun with a smoothbore cannon, which is the standard fit throughout the rest of NATO and proved to be more effective in the CLIP programme.

No, wrong also.

Deciding that purchasing a new main battle tank would be too expensive, the British Army will stick with what has long been its plan A and proceed with a Challenger 2 life extension project.

"As it stands, the manufacture and costs of a new main battle tank make it unlikely that the Army would seek this option." MoD Spokesman

It's an upgrade for the long term, not a short-term solution until they can find a long-term replacement.
    Improving the Challenger 2 cannot allow for new armour to be used, for the tank to be built from lighter but stronger materials, for the angels of the body to be more slanted to give better protection, for new technology to be used in the tanks, for new more fuel efficient engines to be used, for a larger tank to be built to allow more rounds to be carried, are for the suspension to be modernised to give better stability as a platform. The problem with the Challenger 2 is not its main gun but the platform, the Challenger 2 platform is a make-do platform in the 21st century when other countries are using a new platform: the Challenger 2 needs replacing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ideally, I'd like it to be as close to 0 as possible but I recognise that some money should be put into defence but £39bn is an awful lot of money. Is all of the defence spending really necessary?

I see.
    As the adage goes: Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Using Latin against me now are you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The adage is almost always given in Latin, although it's hardly difficult Latin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The adage is almost always given in Latin, although it's hardly difficult Latin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? It's pretty common in English.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Really? It's pretty common in English.
    I only ever see or hear it in Latin

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "If you want peace, prepare for war" it means. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I only ever see or hear it in Latin

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe Tory-vision just translates things into Latin when you seem them?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Maybe Tory-vision just translates things into Latin when you seem them?
    Possibly

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    "If you want peace, prepare for war" it means. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does indeed. I want to respond back with a cheeky phrase that includes the word quamquam but I can't think this late.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Improving the Challenger 2 cannot allow for new armour to be used, for the tank to be built from lighter but stronger materials, for the angels of the body to be more slanted to give better protection, for new technology to be used in the tanks, for new more fuel efficient engines to be used, for a larger tank to be built to allow more rounds to be carried, are for the suspension to be modernised to give better stability as a platform. The problem with the Challenger 2 is not its main gun but the platform, the Challenger 2 platform is a make-do platform in the 21st century when other countries are using a new platform: the Challenger 2 needs replacing.
    Yes it can, maybe and maybe but not really needed e.g. explosive reactive armour, yes it can, yes it can, no just why, yes it can.

"make-do platform"? The Russian Armata Universal Combat Platform is the basis of the T-14, the T-15, a combat engineering vehicle, an armoured recovery vehicle, a heavy armoured personnel carrier, a tank support combat vehicle and several types of self-propelled artillery, including the 2S35 Koalitsiya-SV under the same codename based on the same chassis. It is also intended to serve as the basis for artillery, air defense, and NBC defense systems.

All that aside, defence against Daesh and the like hardly require spending on tanks - when was the last time you saw a tank being used on active service in the UK?
    Surely a more sustainable project would be an increase in funding of SCO19 - armed response units, their equipment, training and mediums of transport, e.g. from just BMW sedans to different types of motor vehicles, or even air transport such as light helicopters.
    All of this would increase security by increasing training and reduce response times, creating a safer Britain, better protected against new threats such as Daesh and recurring threats from Irish dissidents and Argentines.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It does indeed. I want to respond back with a cheeky phrase that includes the word quamquam but I can't think this late.
    You could have always thrown the"Si vis pacem, para pacem" or "Si vis pacem, para pactum" variant back, could have got the quamquam in there too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    "If you want peace, prepare for war" it means. 😀Posted from TSR Mobile
    "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war." - Albert Einstein
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war." - Albert Einstein
    I suppose an unopposed occupation can't really be called a war

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I suppose an unopposed occupation can't really be called a war

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do I detect a hidden meaning?

Because I can't see one that relates to anything to do with me.

#Irelandunfreeshallneverbeatpeac e

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the idea of purchasing ships from other nations, it just makes me sad

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.