Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

23rd June - EU Referendum Day: have you voted yet? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you voted yet?
    Yes
    50.93%
    No
    18.22%
    I'm not voting
    25.03%
    Huh? Voting for what?
    5.82%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Walking over to my local polling booth now to vote.

Voting remain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know this is off topic guys but... do you think the gov should allow 17-16 year olds to vote? I'm 18 but a couple of people in my year group dont turn 18 until July-August which I think is slightly unfair as this will impact us more than pensioners who will kneel over anytime soon.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    I know this is off topic guys but... do you think the gov should allow 17-16 year olds to vote? I'm 18 but a couple of people in my year group dont turn 18 until July-August which I think is slightly unfair as this will impact us more than pensioners who will kneel over anytime soon.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4106611

ReputationRep:
    Students are the more likely to vote Remain but I can't waste this opportunity to reclaim our democracy, voted Leave and would urge others to seriously consider the magnitude of their vote before going for the "safe" vote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    Not really. I'm 18 and not in favour of lowering the age limit. If anything, I think it should be raised to 21 or possibly higher so that uni students cannot vote until they actually experience some life. Sorry this is just down thing that really bugs me when you watch the debates on bbc1 and there are so many jumped up uni students who think they know everything and yet they are so uneducated on some things.
    I do get what you mean though, if an 18 year old can vote, then why can't a 17 and why not a 16. But then 15 is only a year younger than 16 and then why not 14 year olds too. It could go on forever. There has to be a cut off point somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlieoakley97)
    Students are the more likely to vote Remain but I can't waste this opportunity to reclaim our democracy, voted Leave and would urge others to seriously consider the magnitude of their vote before going for the "safe" vote
    This is why students annoy me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Yep. Voted Leave.

#VoteLeave
    Why on earth did you do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH0405)
    Because it was the right choice.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    I personally think that the voting age of 18 is about right.

However, I think those who work and are under 18 should be exempt from tax as they can't vote.

ReputationRep:
    Only time will tell. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09craige)
    Not really. I'm 18 and not in favour of lowering the age limit. If anything, I think it should be raised to 21 or possibly higher so that uni students cannot vote until they actually experience some life. Sorry this is just down thing that really bugs me when you watch the debates on bbc1 and there are so many jumped up uni students who think they know everything and yet they are so uneducated on some things.
    I do get what you mean though, if an 18 year old can vote, then why can't a 17 and why not a 16. But then 15 is only a year younger than 16 and then why not 14 year olds too. It could go on forever. There has to be a cut off point somewhere.
    True - in hindsight it was probably best to have left it at 21 like in the past. However, with more young people getting involved I see why not. 16 year olds should have an opinion on the matter much like a 91 year old. It impacts us more, than the older generation who haven't got much left to say really.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's your opinion but logic please? Reasoning will help

ReputationRep:
    Because he doesn't want our economy to crumble... He has a rational mind and can actually see that leaving is the best thing that the uk can do

ReputationRep:
    I am part swiss and part Italian born in the French speaking part of Canada, I have been more of a "NEUTRAL LEAVER" for a very long time, been trough this (although I was very young I do remember the Quebec Referendum of 1995!) already.

Being an Immigrant myself I found really offensive and disturbing some of the comments made by the Leave side so I decided to switch to REMAIN....I understand some of the reason for leaving, but as far as I feel, I believe for somebody of my background is better to live in a Britain part of the EU/EEA, perhaps I am wrong and ready to vote leave at the next referendum WHEN it comes.

ReputationRep:
    Because he doesn't want our economy to crumble...
    I put to you that this is exactly what will happen if we leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    I know it's your opinion but logic please? Reasoning will help
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post66033533

ReputationRep:
    The 5th largest economy in the world won't crumble just because we leave an undemocratic institution like the EU, forging trade deals with the EU and ROW will make the British economy stronger in the long run and more resilient to EU turmoil. Please leave the #ProjectFear out of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    True - in hindsight it was probably best to have left it at 21 like in the past. However, with more young people getting involved I see why not. 16 year olds should have an opinion on the matter much like a 91 year old. It impacts us more, than the older generation who haven't got much left to say really.
    I'm not saying that those under 18 can't make rational decisions but they do need to have a cut off somewhere. Also, the younger they are, the easier it is to scare people into voting what the government wants. That's why 16 year olds were allowed to vote in the Scottish referendum. They didn't want to leave so the younger people were scared into voting remain. I get what you mean by saying a 16 year old should be allowed to vote, but then 15 year olds would want to and it would never end.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that those under 18 can't make rational decisions but they do need to have a cut off somewhere. Also, the younger they are, the easier it is to scare people into voting what the government wants. That's why 16 year olds were allowed to vote in the Scottish referendum. They didn't want to leave so the younger people were scared into voting remain. I get what you mean by saying a 16 year old should be allowed to vote, but then 15 year olds would want to and it would never end.
    Yeah it becomes a race to the bottom at that point. Younger people are too easily swayed so I think the 18 age limit is there really for their own protection.

ReputationRep:
    Not so sure about that. We survived before the EU. Since joining the EU we have gained huge debts that we are never going to pay off until we leave. The only prime minister who did any good in improving the deficits was Margaret thatcher.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.