Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What if world was ruled only by one government? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LettuceBeReal)
    Would be by satan according to bible
    Maybe according to Illuminati?

ReputationRep:
    Terrible idea that could very easily lead to authoritarianism and abuse. Not to mention that the wildly different countries and cultures mean it is simply not realistic.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty much the step after the next step, if we Bremain e.g. EU Federal States of Europe ~ world government e.g. under US hegemony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    It's pretty much the step after the next step, if we Bremain e.g. EU Federal States of Europe ~ world government e.g. under US hegemony
    This post really does stretch things - how exactly would the US be 'hegemonic' if the EU is there, China, Russia, etc?

Anyway, how is that materially different from now, even if true? the US is currently the only true superpower - so what's new?

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, we already have a world government.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Withengar)
    This is honestly a matter of time. The number of dividing factions in the world has been steadily decreasing. From hundreds of countries, city-states, dukedoms, principalities, empires and duchies, we're down to under a hundred countries.

In a hundred or so years time, it's quite possible our governments will finally see the benefit of being united, and organize the world on the principles of secular enlightenment and scientific and liberal progress. That is the only way for our continued, sustainable survival - an universal move forward towards a better tomorrow and a global unity under modern, liberal, progressive values.
    There's around 190 countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    There's around 190 countries.
    Officially, but some of them are in some form of association, and some of them have sparsely legitimate. illegitimate or tyrannical regimes, so I decide to exclude those that are likely to fail for that reason. I don't want to count non-democratic forms of rule as official countries.

However, in order to be officially correct, I amended my original post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2u)
    Imagine world was ruled by one government... What do you think the world would be like?
    I think the world would have to be very different before it can be ruled by one government. At the moment there is too much inequality and diversity in the world to make a one world government manageable.

I think over time we will begin to see more supranational entities like the EU appear, I think particularly over areas such as the environment.

ReputationRep:
    That would absolutely never happen. Think of all the different viewpoints people take on any subject, and try finding a way in which everyone's happy. Not possible

ReputationRep:
    Read 1984. That should give you some idea of how it would work in practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    how exactly would the US be 'hegemonic' if the EU is there
    The EU is a handy way to keep a large portion of NATO united and on-message. See recent installment of Merkel's man in EU Commission + history of GER dancing to US tune + recent US attempts to infiltrate/spy on GER politicians/diplomats + US>EU causing trouble in Ukraine, FYR. You're smart enough to discern these trends for yourself, I shouldn't have to spoon feed you this stuff

how is that materially different from now, even if true? the US is currently the only true superpower - so what's new?
    What's new is that in the old days we had a polarised system and capitalism was focused on defeating the enemy, by common consent. There is no enemy now, only sheeple, and, thusly, capitalism is now concerned with penning them in and bleeding them dry/subverting anything that could possibly threaten the established order. Again, you can see this for yourself, hardly needs explaining (but I hope this has been instructive)

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I wonder who would be the main person in charge of the whole world..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.