Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by UWS)
    I think a guy and a girl can be 'just friends' but only to an extent.

The closer they are as friends and the longer they stay as friends, one of them is going to start catching feelings.
    Probably, especially if one is in a relationship. I've seen many examples of it and the results lean closer to catching feelings and its complications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    Nothing wrong with a flirt, you clearly just need to find some secure people
    Thanks babe x
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DanielleT192)
    It is possible but I'm the same as you.

Like how often do you message your male or female friends (this is for everyone)? Is it normal to talk to them the same frequency as say your bf/gf?
    My best friend is male. We've only known each other for 9 months but we talk a lot via messenger. A LOT lot. As in on and off all throughout the day for about 14 hours. Every day.

My husband found that a bit odd, but he's got himself a friend now (female) and he's pretty much doing the same thing with her.

It's just one of those things.

To be honest, writing that down, it reads very weirdly.

(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    My best friend is male. We've only known each other for 9 months but we talk a lot via messenger. A LOT lot. As in on and off all throughout the day for about 14 hours. Every day.

My husband found that a bit odd, but he's got himself a friend now (female) and he's pretty much doing the same thing with her.

Some of my fiancée's best friends are male. Most of mine are women.

That said, as cliché as it sounds, she and I regard each other to be one another's best friend :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)

Yeah see that's what baffles me. Like it's fair to say that everyone is entitled to have friends from both genders but how do you know like boundaries of talking or is there such a thing?

Yeah that is a lot. Both of you are doing it? I guess if you love and trust each other it's fine but that could turn into a complicated situation if feelings develop.**
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DanielleT192)

Yeah see that's what baffles me. Like it's fair to say that everyone is entitled to have friends from both genders but how do you know like boundaries of talking or is there such a thing?

Yeah that is a lot. Both of you are doing it? I guess if you love and trust each other it's fine but that could turn into a complicated situation if feelings develop.**
    Well my best friend is a happily married man, so... unlikely

ReputationRep:
    I think you can if you're not really close but the closer you get the more risk there is that sometimes one party wants more than the other. However on the flip side the closer some people get the more it becomes a sibling relationship as opposed to romantic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I think a guy and a girl can be 'just friends' but only to an extent.

The closer they are as friends and the longer they stay as friends, one of them is going to start catching feelings.
    true in my experience in the past*

ReputationRep:
    Possible? Yes.

Likely? No.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.