The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,
If you need any help with interviews, personal statements etc pm me
I have a lot of free time until results day and I'd be more than happy to help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm writing my personal statement for medicine and I was wondering what everyone's general opinion would be on my mentioning that my role of caring as my mother has MS. I don't want it to seem as though I'm looking for a sympathy vote if you know what I mean and I know a large number of people tend to mention an ill family member as motivation towards the career. However I do feel that my 7/8 years spent as her primary carer is relevant to my statement and shows some transferable skill? I don't want to come across as cliche any opinions appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by potato.toe
Hi, I'm writing my personal statement for medicine and I was wondering what everyone's general opinion would be on my mentioning that my role of caring as my mother has MS. I don't want it to seem as though I'm looking for a sympathy vote if you know what I mean and I know a large number of people tend to mention an ill family member as motivation towards the career. However I do feel that my 7/8 years spent as her primary carer is relevant to my statement and shows some transferable skill? I don't want to come across as cliche any opinions appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I would mention it
Also remember to write down what you learnt from it and how that will benefit you as a doctor/medical student in the future

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by spiritless98
Yes I would mention it
Also remember to write down what you learnt from it and how that will benefit you as a doctor/medical student in the future

Posted from TSR Mobile

When uploading the personal statement onto UCAS, I know that there is a 4000 character and 47 line limit, but is that dependent on a certain font and size.
Original post by alde123
When uploading the personal statement onto UCAS, I know that there is a 4000 character and 47 line limit, but is that dependent on a certain font and size.

The font and size do not matter because they are converted to the format UCAS use when you copy your PS into the text box.*
Original post by alde123

No, there's a recommended font you should use.. I think it's mentioned on the UCAS website but I can't remember
Reply 26
Original post by spiritless98
No, there's a recommended font you should use.. I think it's mentioned on the UCAS website but I can't remember

Apparently on this website: http://www.schools-online.co.uk/linlithgowacadem/applying_for_university/personal%20statements.htm
its Times New Roman, size 12. Does that sound right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending