Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people speculating the negative effects of leaving the eu? Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by stroppyninja)
    Have you ever heard the phrase "Beggars can't be choosers"?

We've just lost over £100 billion off our economy, the pound is at a 30 year low. To negotiate good trade deals you need to start in a strong position. Our position is so weak we are in damage limitation territory.
    I hate to sound like Lord Tebbit and I'm not a Conservative or anything, but the EU will most likely still continue to trade with us.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are the benefits? Lets leave the future then
    Yesterday the £ was the strongest it has been this year, today its the dropped to lows that we havent seen for 30 years. Lets not forget FTSE100 taking the biggest drop in history, fear mongering you say?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Knowing that this is going to have a serious negative affect on my future and the futures of the people I love isn't 'sulking', it's accepting reality.

I'm curious why you think leaving the EU is the best option. And remember: personal reasons aren't acceptable.
    It's sulking, if we were all like you then we'd be screwed by now.

ReputationRep:
    Knowing that this is going to have a serious negative affect on my future and the futures of the people I love isn't 'sulking', it's accepting reality.

I'm curious why you think leaving the EU is the best option. And remember: personal reasons aren't acceptable.
    From an economical standpoint it makes sense to leave, as I believe the Eu would have brought us down with the rest of Europe.
    The EU has only slowed down the economical and the social progress of Britain,and I believe that Britain has the potential to fare out the best in terms of long term economical growth, in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just scared of a WW3

because the EU was the only thing stopping that and at a time where there is economic uncertainty, countries are about to be driven hard to stop this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    What exactly are the benefits? Lets leave the future then
    Yesterday the £ was the strongest it has been this year, today its the dropped to lows that we havent seen for 30 years. Lets not forget FTSE100 taking the biggest drop in history, fear mongering you say?
    Oh come on now, do not be so mellow dramatic, of course such a historical change will have an effect on our current economy and on the financial markets, but it is about looking forward to long term,benefits that are to come.
    We had wars, the great depression and the recession, but we have managed to pull through and that is what makes our country great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    From an economical standpoint it makes sense to leave, as I believe the Eu would have brought us down with the rest of Europe.
    The EU has only slowed down the economical and the social progress of Britain,and I believe that Britain has the potential to fare out the best in terms of long term economical growth, in Europe.
    If me saying that leaving the EU will severely negatively affect my finances and lots of other people's is personal, not political, and therefore doesn't count. Then neither does this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    TSR appears to be extremely left wing
    Most dont pay taxes either surprise surprise

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on now, do not be so mellow dramatic, of course such a historical change will have an effect on our current economy and on the financial markets, but it is about looking forward to long term,benefits that are to come.
    We had wars, the great depression and the recession, but we have managed to pull through and that is what makes our country great.
    What are people like me, who are the most financially vulnerable and will suffer the most from a long term financial crash like a recession or depression, supposed to do whilst waiting for these forecast 'long term benefits'? We can't risk being worse off in the hope the rich might be better off in the future.

ReputationRep:
    What are people like me, who are the most financially vulnerable and will suffer the most from a long term financial crash like a recession or depression, supposed to do whilst waiting for these forecast 'long term benefits'? We can't risk being worse off in the hope the rich might be better off in the future.
    Britain has a lot of potential to grow economically, but it is interesting that you speak of your current situation.The truth is, before the referendum we as a country have been failing our poorest and most vulnerable people.
    The EU did nothing when austerity was in full effect, and it is important to remember that.
    It is only right that we invest in our British citizens and introduce growth and investment, without those who have no interest in the country having hold on our country.

ReputationRep:
    If me saying that leaving the EU will severely negatively affect my finances and lots of other people's is personal, not political, and therefore doesn't count. Then neither does this.
    Are you talking about employment?

ReputationRep:
    Britain has a lot of potential to grow economically, but it is interesting that you speak of your current situation.The truth is, before the referendum we as a country have been failing our poorest and most vulnerable people.
    The EU did nothing when austerity was in full effect, and it is important to remember that.
    It is only right that we invest in our British citizens and introduce growth and investment, without those who have no interest in the country having hold on our country.
    So you're in favour of higher benefits; building more council houses and flats; investing money into schools, community centres and initiatives in deprived areas; more funding to the NHS (including mental heath care); government grants and/or low interest loans (similar to student loans) for people starting small business without capital?

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about employment?
    I'm talking about the fact that in a failing economy there will be cuts and those cuts will fall the hardest on disabled and/or unemployed people like me.

ReputationRep:
    We are no longer 'great'. The majority of experts have gave their opinion on the future of the UK economy and we all know what they said. What benefits exactly? Give me some benefits of being out?

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about the fact that in a failing economy there will be cuts and those cuts will fall the hardest on disabled and/or unemployed people like me.
    I would not say that our economy is "failing" , and you're just stating an opinion and not a fact, they have already been cuts and austerity when we still were in the EU.
    The big heads in the Eu could not give a toss to the poorest in uk.

ReputationRep:
    Fearmongering hahahahaha

The pound has dropped 10% and you're still telling us it's not going to happen. Get real.

ReputationRep:
    What predictions? Our currency has crashed and we've already dropped from our coveted 5th largest economy to 6th apparently. Those are realities and we've not even broken up yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Fearmongering hahahahaha

The pound has dropped 10% and you're still telling us it's not going to happen. Get real.
    Only 10 percent?

ReputationRep:
    Only 10 percent?
    Just you wait till the UK actually leaves the EU. Just you wait.

(It's not the pound only - 190bn was wiped off of the FTSE in just 12 minutes)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Just you wait till the UK actually leaves the EU. Just you wait.

(It's not the pound only - 190bn was wiped off of the FTSE in just 12 minutes)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In terms of market trading that is the norm

(Original post by Elivercury)
    What predictions? Our currency has crashed and we've already dropped from our coveted 5th largest economy to 6th apparently. Those are realities and we've not even broken up yet.
    Those are just the short term symptoms of our situation as a country

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.