The Student Room Group

Why did Scotland mostly vote Remain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucarious30
I used to think that too, but the chav's of this generation has given me mixed views!

Scotland has chavs (neds) :tongue:
The scots are pussies
Reply 22
Original post by NewcastleFresher
could be wrong but I wouldve said Scotland was more racist?

No, I wouldn't say so, and I've lived in Newcastle as well as places across Scotland. Just my impression.
Original post by offhegoes
No, I wouldn't say so, and I've lived in Newcastle as well as places across Scotland. Just my impression.

I grew up in Bradford, only going Newcastle for uni

A lot of my Asian/black friends have said they experienced racism in Scotland tho, particularly Glasgow :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by NewcastleFresher
I grew up in Bradford, only going Newcastle for uni

A lot of my Asian/black friends have said they experienced racism in Scotland tho, particularly Glasgow :frown:

This article, referencing a BSA study, suggests Scotland is one of the least racist regions of the UK:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/27/-sp-racism-on-rise-in-Britain

I'm white British and so my experiences are going to differ from those of your friends, but I've lived in Glasgow for 8 years now and have rarely seen issues with racism, whilst working in some of the most impoverished and multi-cultural areas in Glasgow, incidentally some of the most deprived areas in the whole of the UK. I grew up in the North West of England and saw plenty of racism there. Sectarianism is of course the real issue up here in Scotland., and Glasgow in particular.
Just to say, despite the seemingly general opinion on here, Scotland is actually quite a nice place! Just because you have never visited, there is no need to be prejudiced.
(And you say we're racist...)
Because in general Scotland is less racist that England.

Mass immigration has not had anywhere near the same impact on the lives of those in Scotland. Most immigrants don't want to go to Scotland.
Original post by welshiee
Mass immigration has not had anywhere near the same impact on the lives of those in Scotland. Most immigrants don't want to go to Scotland.

Mass immigration hasn't affected a lot of the rural areas that voted leave either. The level of fear about immigration has hardly correlated with the level of immigration that area saw.
Original post by College_Dropout
They've got a few brain cells. I supported for Scotland to stay apart of the UK previously, I now hope they get a 2nd referendum now, no need to drag them down with us now.

Except that the EU have already said that they wouldn't accept independent Scotland as a member
Original post by welshiee

I assume I am correct in thinking that most immigrants go to cities such as Manchester, Newcastle and London, all areas which (if I recall correctly) voted remain. I don't think that this is a particularly strong point after all.
Because they don't face house price problems as much.
Common sense :redface:. We seem to be lacking in that department.
Original post by Platopus
Except that the EU have already said that they wouldn't accept independent Scotland as a member

When and where? The only quote in response to yesterday I've seen is one of the leaders of the major blocs saying the EU is open to those who want to stay.

Assuming you're referring to the 2014 referendum, entirely different circumstances.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
When and where? The only quote in response to yesterday I've seen is one of the leaders of the major blocs saying the EU is open to those who want to stay.

Assuming you're referring to the 2014 referendum, entirely different circumstances.

I am indeed. I don't see how circumstances have changed.

They said that during the Scottish Independence referendum.
Original post by College_Dropout
They said that during the Scottish Independence referendum.

Yes, well done
Doesn't matter. The Scots are going to go their own way now. Soon after the Northern Irish too. This day will mark the beginning of the end for the EU and the UK.
Reply 37

Pretty sure that statement isn't true, certainly not in it's current form. Source perhaps?

Are you misremembering Barroso's response to the Economic Affairs Committee perhaps?
I am indeed. I don't see how circumstances have changed.

Well because Scotland isn't in the EU anymore. They're not going to be withdrawing from an EU nation (and thus withdrawing from the EU) and rejoining as would have been the plan that the EU rejected two years ago
Pretty sure that statement isn't true, certainly not in it's current form. Source perhaps?

Are you misremembering Barroso's response to the Economic Affairs Committee perhaps?

It was said during the Scottish independence referendum. Look it up yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest