Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    It doesn't matter. It's wrong, you'll most likely get caught out, and if you go ahead with it I hope you do.
    They want to find out why i am driven to do what i want to do, what i think and how my experiences have shaped that. Including someone else's writing that still conveys how i feel in a more effective way, but constitutes less than 1% of the entire essay doesn't change the fact that i still had those experiences, it doesn't change my ambitions and doesn't make it less authentic and less of a personal statement. I think this article fits in with my point
    http://www.cnet.com/news/what-steve-...artists-steal/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    They want to find out why i am driven to do what i want to do, what i think and how my experiences have shaped that. Including someone else's writing that still conveys how i feel in a more effective, but constitutes less than 1% of the entire essay doesn't change the fact that i still had those experiences, it doesn't change my ambitions and doesn't make it less authentic and less of a personal statement.
    Yes it does.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does.
    So accidental plagiarism changes how people feel, what they believe in, the experiences they go through? How?

ReputationRep:
    So accidental plagiarism changes how people feel, what they believe in, the experiences they have gone through? How?
    It's not accidental! You are deliberately using somebody else's statement.

ReputationRep:
    Your question has been answered, if you insist on this nonsense then do so, but you've been informed of the consequences of such an action

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not accidental! You are deliberately using somebody else's statement.
    It conveys a single point, that does not change the 99% of writing that is to some extent unique to me.

Accidental or not its still plagiarism. Unless that person knows what and why they are writing down, it doesn't change who they are.

ReputationRep:
    It conveys a single point, that does not change the 99% of writing that is to some extent unique to me.

Accidental or not its still plagiarism. Unless that person knows what and why they are writing down, it doesn't change who they are.
    You have been told it is a stupid idea. If you get caught then you may not be able to apply to universities. You're risking your own future out of pure laziness.

If you continue to do it, I hope that your choices do not offer you a place over someone else who was decent enough to spend time writing their own PERSONAL statement.

ReputationRep:
    I copied it cause i couldn't get something down that felt truly captivating in an hour.
    An hour x__x
    It took me a few months to just come up with the opening sentence for my PS.
    Do your research, you have heaps of time left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwagon)
    An hour x__x
    It took me a few months to just come up with the opening sentence for my PS.
    Do your research, you have heaps of time left.
    It's not set in stone yet, just experimenting with ideas. Thanks though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.