Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    You know what I think London Independence is a great idea. #

However don't expect other Britain's to do your bidding the next time a Terrorist blows up a bus.
    And
    When the QE bubble pop's remember your a independent country now. Your have to invest in other industries rather than financial service sectors.
    Lol, don't worry, I think London will cope just fine.

Can't say the same about little England though, what with the titanic drop in tax revenues.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, most Italians right now think that by 2026 Gibraltar will have become Spanish, Scotland will have become independent, Northern Ireland and Ireland will have formed United Ireland and England will come crawling back to the EU begging. Just saying

ReputationRep:
    What would the UK be without Scotland, London and Northern Ireland. Please allow London to secede. England has dragged us into a situation we did not wish for with London voting to remain. London should also adopt the Euro the GBP can no longer be trusted as a safe currency.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)

Can't say the same about little England though, what with the titanic drop in tax revenues.
    Typical arrogant Londoner. Its paper GDP is boosted by the rest of the UK economy, which is why those from Manchester and Birmingham often feel hard done by, by modern Westminster politics. You can leave and join the EU, but your GDP would drop like a stone and you would be a one-trick pony.

A poor man's Hong Kong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nurne)
    What would the UK be without Scotland, London and Northern Ireland. Please allow London to secede. England has dragged us into a situation we did not wish for with London voting to remain. London should also adopt the Euro the GBP can no longer be trusted as a safe currency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't come begging Surrey for handouts when your Euros are worthless :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There is 1 major problem though. Where are all your working class slaves going to live? Majority of us Plebs commute in. Declare independence if you wish but don't expect the rest of England to bend over backwards to provide living space for your labor.
    We could probably invade any extra space needed and form an empire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16characterlimit)
    We could probably invade any extra space needed and form an empire
    Doubt it. London Luvvies don't like joining the MOD. That is left to real men and women from places like Wales, Scotland and Northern England.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it. London Luvvies don't like joining the MOD. That is left to real men and women from places like Wales, Scotland and Northern England.
    Its cool the European Army will back us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16characterlimit)
    Its cool the European Army will back us.
    We'll bring Putin to save us.

ReputationRep:
    There is 1 major problem though. Where are all your working class slaves going to live? Majority of us Plebs commute in. Declare independence if you wish but don't expect the rest of England to bend over backwards to provide living space for your labor.
    Actually, we would get rid of the burdensome regulation from Westminster which stops our councils building houses. Londoners give £1 of every £5 they earn to the rest of the UK, the equivalent of up to £20bn every year. We could take this money back and invest in a massive housing rejuvenation programme.

It's all about Londoners taking back control of our city from those countryside folk who have voted against London's interests twice in the past two years - first against Labour and then against the EU. London MPs make up 11% of the UK's House of Commons, but we contribute twice as much to the UK's GDP; we have to take back control!

We would then work with the Home Counties to provide houses for Londoners. We would ultimately prefer Oxford or Cambridge to become part of a newly-independent London rather than Barking and Dagenham or Havering, seeing as they're perfectly happy to leave the European Union, so we would also be willing to do swapsies for more living space.

Those who commute into London from areas of the commuter belt not actually part of the new "normal country" would have to face border controls as they enter the M25, with permit passes and priority crossing for dual citizens.

To make up for the final couple of thousand commuters, we would take over the Channel Tunnel and run frequent commuter services between France and London, so that Londoners can also live in the continent whilst working in the Big Smoke.

ReputationRep:
    Just wait a few years and all of England will be ready for independence from the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Allow London to secede and then siege them and force them to pay for their gas supplies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EleonoraDi)
    Actually, most Italians right now think that by 2026 Gibraltar will have become Spanish, Scotland will have become independent, Northern Ireland and Ireland will have formed United Ireland and England will come crawling back to the EU begging. Just saying
    What will Wales do?

ReputationRep:

We will be fine considering the fact that all the EU red tape will disappear.

In fact I was speaking with my old man this morning and here are the changes you can expect:

1. Grimsby to go from 10 trawlers back up to 400!
    2. The emergence of aquaponic fish farm horticulture.
    3. Farms able to produce what they like and won't have to bin anything.
    4. No more EU law land mines for manufacturers.
    5. Corporate farmers having to employ locals rather than seasonal migrant gangs.

My Dad lives in Lincolnshire and its going to be booming. My Cousins are currently getting drunk like mad because they know jobs are going to return to the area once we scrap the Common Fishery Policy.

So sod off. We don't need ya.

ReputationRep:
    Well Wales is ****ed lol

ReputationRep:
    London is a City that effectively belongs to the people of the United Kingdom. If there is ever a referendum on its independence then the whole of the UK should be able to vote on the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    London is a City that effectively belongs to the people of the United Kingdom. If there is ever a referendum on its independence then the whole of the UK should be able to vote on the outcome.
    I disagree with that notion completely. But putting that aside, I think you'd be surprised just how high support would be for "kicking out" London.

ReputationRep:
    It would be like Berlin during the Cold War

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a bad joke.

https://www.change.org/p/sadiq-khan-...to-join-the-eu

I'd be all for this to be honest.

Thoughts?
    Look, I am a remain voter, but the result should not stimulate polarisation in this nation. If we can reclaim solidarity, promote social cohesion, then there is a chance the economic ramifications of this matter can be heavily mitigated. Expressing frustration is far more immature than productive, we can only move on and deal with the reverberations. Crucially, this would hold far more tangible benefits conducive to the recovery of our economy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.