Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

June 29th: How far have you gone to get a good tan? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted my skin to be lighter so I've tried to avoid getting a tan but I have accidentally used bleach cream before without knowing what it was.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i avoid tanning altogether, i avoid the sun like a vampire. i much prefer pale skin and i also wear sun cream during the darkest hours of winter.

ReputationRep:
    Not far at all because I'm naturally tan. But I wish that I was paler.

I tried sunbeds a couple of times back in my teens but it just made my skin feel dry so I just faked it instead (usually self tan but would get spray tans for special occasions). For the last few years I've used SPF (15 or higher, I have fitz 3 skin) daily during the summer; I don't sunbathe as I'm not really a fan of hot weather but I do get a bit of a tan from just generally being out and about. I remember my mum and some girls in my secondary school putting either baby or cooking oil on their skin whilst sunbathing so they'll burn and tan quicker.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by IvoryToast)
    Further than I've been to get a sin or a cos... but that's mainly becuase tanning can be greater than 1...
    Ok.I've done too much maths...
    I'm more of a cot person myself.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing im already tanned! Not the point but June 29th is my 16th birthday

ReputationRep:
    Lol a what? >_> Tan? What's that? Never got one of those in my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    i avoid tanning altogether, i avoid the sun like a vampire. i much prefer pale skin and i also wear sun cream during the darkest hours of winter.
    No offense but I think Asians are more obsessed with pale skin than anyone else

ReputationRep:
    You won't believe what I once did!

So when I was about 12-13, I desperately wanted a tan but as I have a naturally pale complexion, I'd just burn if I went out in the sun. Plus my parents wouldn't let me buy false tanning products.

At that time, I was taking fish oil pills. Fish oil pills contain DHA, which is the agent chemically responsible for the tanning of the skin. So I decided to empty out every fish oil capsule I had and mix it with E45 moisturiser. I then proceeded to rub my concoction all over my body.

Alas, I didn't get a tan. Instead, my body, my clothes and my entire bedroom reeked of fish for the next few months. People wouldn't come anywhere near me. My parents took me to the doctor's and I was diagnosed with Fish Odour Syndrome. Threatened with a stringent diet free from all the food I loved, I finally admitted what I had done.

My parents were not best pleased with me to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Dubai for 6 years, was always pale as a sheet. Just the way my skin is I guess.

ReputationRep:
    when i am really desperate i work out the coefficients of MacLaurin's series and put in x...

x + 2x3/3! + 16x5/5! + 272x7/7!....

ReputationRep:
    I used to use sun beds years ago, I used to live in Australia and would fry myself out there because i knew it would turn to tan. In alot of cases the skin just peeled off, i was too far gone. I don't know what possessed me, i think the sun was destroying my brain cells and i somehow thought this was a good idea. It's all from a bottle nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    The day after the EU Referendum, one of the largest political events in years.
    Young people (Radio 1's main audience) feel ripped off and unrepresented in the results, perhaps they're confused or worried about the future.
    A significant portion feel the older generations have disregarded their opinions by not letting 16/17 year olds vote.

Radio 1 comes to TSR to ask about bloody sun tans :rofl:
    LMAO, speaks volumes about why our generation has the image it does
    The votes have been counted and the result has been decided, what is Radio 1 supposed to do about it? What's done is done.

ReputationRep:
    im brown so........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    This week’s Surgery is all about sun safety.

So far, summer might have been a bit of a washout,but whether you’re in Preston or Palma De Mallorca, your skin is still important. The Teenage Cancer Trust say nearly 2/3 of 13 – 24 year old have avoided using sunscreen to get a better tan.

Are you the sort of sun-worshipper who’ll do anything to bronze or are you a Factor 50 devotee?

Tune in on Wednesday 29th June at 9pm on BBC Radio 1 for advice from Gemma and Dr Radha on how to protect your skin this summer.
    I have climbed a building, gone to the roof to hang off a gargoyle. Might I say I had a great time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.