The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C4 June 2016 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhiteBison
I think I did too.

Original post by ktait98
For question 6 in the comp paper where it asked you to find the height of C above A, I got something in the 80s. I think 83...m or something?

Oops so there were 7 Q's in the comprehension?

I remember finding an angle then using it with distance AC to find the height of it. Cannot remember my answer tho
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Oops so there were 7 Q's in the comprehension?

I remember finding an angle then using it with distance AC to find the height of it. Cannot remember my answer tho

Yeah that's right. As far as I remember you found the angle by deducing the height of the lowest point of the turbine that you could see above your viewpoint, due to the obstruction of the hill ("the top 22m of the blade" or something) by using data given in the question (it was identical to the data in the first page of the article). It gave you the horizontal distance to this, so you took the arctan(x) of (deduced height of lowest point visible) / (horizontal distance).

It gave you the horizontal distance to C and the angle was the same for said triangle, so you could use this with your angle to find the height to it. I believe I got 80 something but I can't remember. Sounds like you did it this way too. I think it was Q6.
Yeah that's right. As far as I remember you found the angle by deducing the height of the lowest point of the turbine that you could see above your viewpoint, due to the obstruction of the hill ("the top 22m of the blade" or something) by using data given in the question (it was identical to the data in the first page of the article). It gave you the horizontal distance to this, so you took the arctan(x) of (deduced height of lowest point visible) / (horizontal distance).

It gave you the horizontal distance to C and the angle was the same for said triangle, so you could use this with your angle to find the height to it. I believe I got 80 something but I can't remember. Sounds like you did it this way too. I think it was Q6.

Yeah sounds similar
Reply 23
What do people think grade boundaries will be?
Original post by sen3698
What do people think grade boundaries will be?

I reckon 77 for an A*, 70 for an A, and going down in 7's from there.

Probs about 86 for full UMS
That paper was solid
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I found the angle between the normal to the plane and the line - giving me 123.something degrees - I'm assuming you did the same?

I then sat there and tried to imagine what that 123 degrees meant. In my head, it seemed like it was the angle between the normal to the plane pointing directly downwards, and the line coming out of the top side of the shape. Get what I mean? If that is true, then it's 180 - 123, giving 57. However in past papers, it's very common to see 90 - theta in mark schemes.

A few of my (smart) friends also did the same thing, and it was the first thing we spoke about after the exam, so I had confidence in that answer.

Worst case scenario, we lose 2 marks, though, so no real issue.

You always find the acute angle, never the obtuse angle, so yeah, subtract from 180.
Does anyone remember the marks (wish) for each question, would be much appreciated. Thanks
Reply 28
Can I get some working for question 2? Because I got 1 / -1 and 2.25 / -2.25 in my two attempts, as others i know also did. unsure how else i could have possibly worked it out.
For the angle between the line and the plane, do you not have to do 90-57 = 33.

57 is the angle between the normal and the line, no? Not between the line and the plane.
Original post by 16Characters....
For the angle between the line and the plane, do you not have to do 90-57 = 33.

57 is the angle between the normal and the line, no? Not between the line and the plane.

I did that too..
Reply 31
For question 2, p was 1/2 and q was -2.
Original post by Gabbysz

Nope p was 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gabbysz

No I'm pretty sure p was 2. It was the denominator of x, remember? So while the coefficient of x WAS 1/2, p was still 2.
Hey there. Some peoples are disputing that the angle in (7iv) (Paper A) was 57 degrees on the other thread. I got the same as you, however, by taking the product of the cos(theta) equation and subtracting it from 180.

Any insight? Because it seemed the right thing to do at the time.

I got 32.something (ish) because what you found there was the angle between the normal of the plane and the line. You needed to take that away from 90 (90-57...) to find the angle with the plane rather than the normal
Guess of marks for each question from what i can remember (may be a little wrong feel free to change):

1)6
2)5
3)5
4)4
5i)3
5ii)4
6)6(another 3 marks somewhere)

7)18
8i)1
8ii)2
8iii)5
8iv)2
8 had another 8 marks somewhere

Thanks, please edit.
Original post by Groodydavis
I got 32.something (ish) because what you found there was the angle between the normal of the plane and the line. You needed to take that away from 90 (90-57...) to find the angle with the plane rather than the normal

The two answers people are oscillating between are 57 and 40-something I think. Not sure about 32 though.
The two answers people are oscillating between are 57 and 40-something I think. Not sure about 32 though.

90-57=33, he did the same thing as us lmao when I said 43 I could take 57 off 90 LOL. but yeah he did the same thing as us:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know the other guy who's predicted A* in my class got 30 something, I think people found the angle between the normal an the line, I'm gonna ask my maths teacher on Monday though
Original post by HFancy1997
90-57=33, he did the same thing as us lmao when I said 43 I could take 57 off 90 LOL. but yeah he did the same thing as us:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok that's what I'm thinking of. :tongue:

Original post by Groodydavis
I know the other guy who's predicted A* in my class got 30 something, I think people found the angle between the normal an the line, I'm gonna ask my maths teacher on Monday though

Please do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending