Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A petition to make voters to pass a test before they do anything stupid. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lool these elderly people have gotten people all riled up and ready to fight

ReputationRep:
    Ps. my predicted grades were done on an indicator of my social background and how I did in my (sats) exams when I was the ripe age of 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiemariefryer)
    Hmm, yes ok, solid argument. But you forget that some schools are more disadvantaged than others. You also forget that some kids are disadvantaged in other ways other than income. I'm from a very disadvantaged background. During my GCSE's I was told to not even bother trying for past a D grade, and that it would be perfectly acceptable if I became a hairdresser. I told them I wanted to be a nurse or a lawyer. They laughed at me, tried to put me in foundation brackets for all my exams and I fought with them to put me on the higher papers and got A's and B's. That's just my story, one person's story just like your story is just one person's. Had I not fought my maximum grades would of been C's and D's and I wouldn't be attending Leeds University to do Nursing as a second degree this year. (because Russel Group Universities, don't accept C's and D's generally)

But yeah your right, everyone has equal chance at education. :/
    Equal opportunity. We had equal opportunity. You're telling me it was literally impossible for you to do better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Equal opportunity. We had equal opportunity. You're telling me it was literally impossible for you to do better?
    It would of been if I had of been forced to take the foundation papers (which I was being forced to and my mum threatened to take me out of school and send me to a different one if they didn't change their mind - not all parents would do this) and only got C's at my GCSE's it would of affected the college I went to, what university, what course. You cannot seriously argue that everyone has equal chance in every school, when so many factors determine the school's performance, ofsted reports exist for a reason, to define differences between each schools and so the government can force those schools to provide better education, yet students have to reside in that school while its still crap.

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be a very easy test, and there should be a very low baseline.

I also think they should be asked questions on what they've voting for - to see if it's for the right reasons or not. Not in terms of opinions, in terms of facts. If they believe facts are different to the true values, but they're voting because of the made up ones, this should be stopped.

Just let them vote, let them think they voted, but just don't count the votes of the incredibly misinformed or the incredibly light headed. I don't see how that's unfair. It's not like I'm saying don't let gays vote, or don't let women vote, which as absurd as it is to say these days, not that long ago was considered normal.

I don't think it's fair to give everyone equal power, when everyone does not have equal knowledge. If you don't have a clue what you're voting for, and you're reasonably stupid, your vote should not count as much as someone who, for example, is in a profession that requires them to have the correct knowledge on the subject.
    Who are you to judge whos reasons are 'right' and 'wrong'?
    Chill with the authoritarian attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontVoteLabour)
    Who are you to judge whos reasons are 'right' and 'wrong'?
    Chill with the authoritarian attitude.
    Who are you to judge that my judgements are wrong.

Being a bit hypocritical there.

I was making a suggestion, that the well informed, since they are better informed, will be making a more informed decision. Wouldn't you rather a qualified electrician come round your house rather than some random person, when you call for an electrician. Obviously, because he would have a better informed set of decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Who are you to judge that my judgements are wrong.

Being a bit hypocritical there.

I was making a suggestion, that the well informed, since they are better informed, will be making a more informed decision. Wouldn't you rather a qualified electrician come round your house rather than some random person, when you call for an electrician. Obviously, because he would have a better informed set of decisions.
    Now you're just trolling. Getting someone to install your electrics, is not the same as voting in a referendum that was allowed by parliament (the electricians in this metaphor) in the first place. I'm out troll.

ReputationRep:
    If I fail does that mean I then have no part in the democratic process?

Does that mean I can no longer get taxed (since I can't have a say over how it's spent)?

So in that case, can I fail deliberately?

ReputationRep:
    Thutmose-III I think you should set this person straight too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cogito.)
    To avoid confusion, this will be an example of the questions:
    Q: What is the cube of 9?
    Q: When did WW2 end?
    Q: All B is A, if C is not A, will C be B?
    etc, etc...

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...DVx6EkbbRUo0ZB

My petition:

Make it compulsory for an exam consisting logic and math for registering tovote

In the general lines of the conception of democracy, British philosopherMill proposed that votes should be valued according to the standards ofeducation of citizens.

Who is J.S.Mill: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stuart_MillOutline of this idea comes from: http://resourcelists.stir.ac.uk/item...3BE2E7301.html
    ��E�dC�
    Grow up you impudent troglodyte.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    I've seen a lot of ****ing retarded ideas/comments but this has to be the dumbest one I've everseen
    That's one of your post, I copied it to here.

QUOTE=SalazarSlytherin: How do you do (2x-1)/(6x-3)? The answer is 1/3 but how do you get there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's one of your post, I copied it to here.

QUOTE=SalazarSlytherin: How do you do (2x-1)/(6x-3)? The answer is 1/3 but how do you get there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And? You called maths "math" and think its a good idea to make people do a test before voting. You are a ****ing dumbass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    And? You called maths "math" and think its a good idea to make people do a test before voting. You are a ****ing dumbass
    It's because you can only post certain number of characters on the title, somehow it's too long so I have to cut some words to get it fit.

Also I am surprised about that post you wrote about maths, out of curiosity may I ask how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "Make it compulsory for an exam consisting logic and math for registering tovote"
    "math tovote"
    "math"

Old enough to realise a silly little quiz is an awful idea that only someone with a social age of 7 could think of.

ReputationRep:
    Voting is a right which everyone (over a certain age) should be allowed. Also it would raise questions on how we measure intelligence. One person might be terrible at maths but great at art, should this person not be allowed to vote simply because their competences are more creative?

But no, sure, lets go back to having an elitist society where the vulnerable aren't allowed a say in their own futures.

ReputationRep:
    To avoid confusion, this will be an example of the questions:
    Q: What is the cube of 9?
    Q: When did WW2 end?
    Q: All B is A, if C is not A, will C be B?
    etc, etc...

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...DVx6EkbbRUo0ZB

My petition:

Make it compulsory for an exam consisting logic and math for registering tovote

In the general lines of the conception of democracy, British philosopherMill proposed that votes should be valued according to the standards ofeducation of citizens.

Who is J.S.Mill: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stuart_MillOutline of this idea comes from: http://resourcelists.stir.ac.uk/item...3BE2E7301.html
    ��E�dC�
    That makes no sense. The exam would have to be about the actual vote e.g. "Tick three policies that apply to the Labour manifesto".

This being said, considering the EU referendum, it's amazing how the remainers are throwing the dummy out of the pram even though they are just as ill-informed about the EU as the general public. Being part of a nepotic, bureaucratic mess that is happily giving billions to a despot who is currently committing war atrocities against a minority isn't something I want to be part of.

Just because a bunch of bankers (the guys who brought you a fun 2007) are speculating, it doesn't mean crap unless you've money tied up in the stock market.

ReputationRep:
    Hahah give up. The worst part about this is that you're probably serious.

Just because someone might not be as intelligent as you doesn't mean they don't have the right to vote for their country. Just because you have a better standard of life/job does that mean these people don't also work and live for their country (maybe even in worse conditions?). That toilet cleaner in McDonalds still has as much right to vote as you.

Not sure what's up with the snobbery in people today. No respect whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoking)
    That makes no sense. The exam would have to be about the actual vote e.g. "Tick three policies that apply to the Labour manifesto".

This being said, considering the EU referendum, it's amazing how the remainers are throwing the dummy out of the pram even though they are just as ill-informed about the EU as the general public. Being part of a nepotic, bureaucratic mess that is happily giving billions to a despot who is currently committing war atrocities against a minority isn't something I want to be part of.

Just because a bunch of bankers (the guys who brought you a fun 2007) are speculating, it doesn't mean crap unless you've money tied up in the stock market.
    Completely agree, the content of exam doesn't matter, I choose maths and logic since I feel it's more common studied, we can replace them to whatever is relevant to the circumstances just as you said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Can there be a grammar component as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Can there be a grammar component as well?
    Obviously not as it would not tend to exclude those that were taught English properly in years gone by. Mental arithmetic wouldn't be included for the same reason.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.